SiouxSports.com Forum

Poll: New Head Coach

bincitysioux

New HC Poll  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer gets the job?

• Bubba Schwiegert
    • Kalen DeBoer

Bubba's biggest asset is that he bleeds green..

Should he get a look - yes.

Is this the best resume we should have after our "national search" and Faisons "vast network of contacts". I hope not.

Yup, yup...and the last part is what I really can not understand. The final 2 options are SIU's OC and DC. Faison couldn't even branch out from one school/program!

• Upvote 1

I would bet you that if Bubba stays with Lennon next year they both get the ax. OK - 4 years at Duluth - still one game over 500. After this staff made it the first two years on someone else's talent at Carbondale it has been straight downhill.

what happened to UMD after bubba left? nielson used all bubbas talent and won a couple of nattys. Bubba was there 4 years. just enough time to get all 4 of his classes in the system.

#owned

Yup, yup...and the last part is what I really can not understand. The final 2 options are SIU's OC and DC. Faison couldn't even branch out from one school/program!

im also frustrated with the search too...I thot nationwide meant nationwide

instead we were the laughing stock

getting the pigskin guy

sandwich artists

teachers

radio broadcasters.

etc

Is this the best resume we should have after our "national search" and Faisons "vast network of contacts". I hope not. One of us - One of us isn't necessarly the best way to hire a coach for a program that is in big trouble.

If it wasn't a "national search", neither Bubba nor DeBoer would be in the conversation. I'd like to know who ever brought up this "vast network" that Faison has. It surely wasn't him. It was likely some rube on this site, like me. Of all who APPLIED for the job, who has a better resume than either of these two guys? Pflugrad is probably the only one, and he was apparently excluded for known reasons. There were other intriguing candidates, i.e. Marshall and DeWitt, but they were no more qualified than these two are.

The "good ole boys" club should be happy because Bubba is a finalist. The "new blood" club should be happy because DeBoer is a finalist.

• Upvote 1

I would bet you that if Bubba stays with Lennon next year they both get the ax. OK - 4 years at Duluth - still one game over 500. After this staff made it the first two years on someone else's talent at Carbondale it has been straight downhill.

7-5 this year for Salukis. 5-3 in conference. 8 point loss at Illinois. 3 point loss in Double OT to Eastern Illinois. 8-4 if they schedule at least one cupcake there instead and they make the playoffs. 6 years in, ranks 2nd all time for HC winning percentange. Personally think Lennon and staff get a bad rap.
  • Upvote 1

Maybe. That could be why DeBoer wants the job. But I don't think it is why Bubba wants it.

Lennon hasn't succeeded at SIU like I thought he would. But I really doubt that he'll be fired another 6-5 season. Expectations aren't nearly as high at SIU as they are at North Dakota.

7-5 this year for Salukis. 5-3 in conference. 8 point loss at Illinois. 3 point loss in Double OT to Eastern Illinois. 8-4 if they schedule at least one cupcake there instead and they make the playoffs. 6 years in, ranks 2nd all time for HC winning percentange. Personally think Lennon and staff get a bad rap.

That's what I've been saying too. But they are spoiled cause they had Coach Kill. It's called reality.

what happened to UMD after bubba left? nielson used all bubbas talent and won a couple of nattys. Bubba was there 4 years. just enough time to get all 4 of his classes in the system.

#owned

So Bubba couldn't coach the talent he brought in? They were 4-6 his last year with basically a team full of his players. They improved to 15-0 the year after he left.

Your hyperbole really hurts the legitimate points you occasionally have.

• Upvote 1

15-0 with most of the wins in a conference called the NSIC.

Bubba coached in the old NCC...much harder to win with limited resources against the likes of UNO UND USD

Pretty easy to run the table when ur playing teams like augie, winona state, southwest min, wayne state, upper iwoa

So Bubba couldn't coach the talent he brought in? They were 4-6 his last year with basically a team full of his players. They improved to 15-0 the year after he left.

Check out the schedules and teams played those 2 years...

Seems like you are implying that Bob Neilson's superior coaching resulted in that 15-0 record and national championship in his first year back at Duluth with the previous coaches players. His first year at Western Illinois netted 4 wins. Maybe he had a bit more to work with at Duluth?

Check out the schedules and teams played those 2 years...

That's a fair point. Bubba brought in talent that dominated the NSIC after he left. He was still 4-6 his last year and was 22-21 overall. Despite that, I still think he would be a great hire, but cherry picking facts isn't the way to convey that.

Talk about an unfortunate set of circumstances. We can't compare UMD after Bubbas cause they moved down to an easier conference and we can't compare USF cause they moved up to D2 after DeBoer.

If Bubba Bleeds Green so much why did he leave UND? (greener pastures)

If he did it before why won't you think he'd do it again?

I hope whoever coaches UND is such a great coach they get to "move up."

• Upvote 1

It's kind of like saying Roger Thomas had no hand North Dakota's National Championship. We were 2 years removed from the RT era. Most of the starters were recruited by RT. Dale won it. Dale has the ring. But he benefitted greatly from what Roger Thomas had built.

Neilson should thank Bubba.

Talk about an unfortunate set of circumstances. We can't compare UMD after Bubbas cause they moved down to an easier conference and we can't compare USF cause they moved up to D2 after DeBoer.

If Bubba Bleeds Green so much why did he leave UND? (greener pastures)

If he did it before why won't you think he'd do it again?

I hope whoever coaches UND is such a great coach they get to "move up."

bubba was what he thought would be a dead end job...with the teams dale was having no way dale was going to leave unless he got a better offer...bubba knew dale bled green so he took a HC job which would be his dream...

however dale bailed on all of us and he is no longer welcome back. maybe position coach but that's about it...bubba would love to have a dynasty here and he loves GF....his old man is in GF along with some of his brothas...

Bubba left UMD as a 0.500 coach and new guy (Nielson) come in and takes Bubba's players to the promised land.

Wouldn't that point to Bubba being a great recruiter but leave his coaching skills in question?

Bubba left UMD as a 0.500 coach and new guy (Nielson) come in and takes Bubba's players to the promised land.

Wouldn't that point to Bubba being a great recruiter but leave his coaching skills in question?

we already discussed this...bubba coached in the tough ncc...nielson had a ncc built team in a nsic league...huge difference.

I belive UMD was at 36 schollys too and nsic was at a 24 max...but allowd UMD a 3 year waiver to honor comitments to get to the 24 school rule!

I have to be or ill be banned from this board I guess. first amendment doesn't apply to ss.com.

Actually, the First Amendment does not apply to this private posting forum.

The First Amendment applies to publicly owned and operated facilities, the "town square".

This is a private forum; it's Jim's house so it's Jim's rules.