SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. DULUTH - Saturday

AZSIOUX

As the guy who sits behind me at games and is a much greater hockey mind says repeatedly..."UND tries to play a NHL system without NHL talent thru out the lineup and it's just not working"

I've said it before...UND hockey seems to cater developing players for the pros as opposed to putting together pieces parts to make a great team. Doug Woog had the same problems in his later years at Minnesota - too many guys wanting to score 20 goals a season and not enough role players. Peter Armbrust...Matt Henderson...Brad DeFauw...the Hoogsteens...Jeff Panzer...now it's all about NHL draft board status.

• Upvote 1

How long of leash does hak have?

The football program has hit rock bottom....do you guys want our hockey team to be in that category too?

Fire hak

Bring

back

blais

With sandeling as co head coach

And herter as assistant!

UMD: 5-4-1

UND: 4-5-1

Clearly, Sandelin is far superior to Hakstol as head coach so far this season.

Were you screaming this loudly for Sandelin and Herter when UMD was busy losing to Michigan Tech and Ohio State?

Maybe Sandeling is better though. GFhockey's postings certainly reminds me of the typical roughneck in western ND.

My bad. I thought gfhockey was referring to UMD coach Scott Sandelin. I admittedly don't know where this Sandeling guy coaches, but he must be good.

how many titles sandelin got?

how many hak got?

im talking ncaa too!

hak has a 105 million recruiting gem.

sandelin doesn't

Amsoil Arena isn't exactly the Bloomington Ice Garden when compared to REA. And if best facility equates to champions, why did the Red Sox win the World Series and not the Twins?

yes red sox spend way more then twins

and im sure und hockey spends way more then umd hockey lol

you just provd my point!

sit down and take seat son!

No, I didn't prove your point, boy. Your point was that UND had a hundred million dollar arena and UMD doesn't. While not on the scale of REA (I didn't realize that granite was such a powerful recruiting tool), Amsoil Arena is no crap-hole.

If facilities are the sole reason behind championships, why did Boston win the title in 100+ year old Fenway Park over places like Comerica Park and PNC Park?

boston spends more then twins....

UND spends more then UMD

ur logic is proving my boy pal!

answer me this...whose got more ncaa titles...hak or sandelin??

While your spelling improves when you're semi-sober in the morning, your arguments are un-followable.

I'm concerned that Hak and staff might not make the most of this roster (and next year's), but no way would I take Duluth's last 10 years over UND. Not even close.

At this point, I wouldn't take Blais over Hak either.

This is the same type of logic that supporters of Doug Woog used in the 1990's when they were getting to the Frozen Four on a regular basis and not winning it. And Hakstol's record is starting to look very much like Woog's during the 1980's and 90's. Eventually, Woog's program degraded to the point where he was forced out in 1999. I don't know if that will happen to Hakstol and I hope it doesn't. I have nothing personal against Hakstol, but if we are going to win NCAA titles again, he will have to show a willingness to make in-game adjustments to his systems and game plans when they are warranted. It makes absolutely no sense to recruit speedy, skilled forwards and then use them in a system better suited for bigger, slower checking-line type forwards that can punish you for 60 minutes and wear you down. I think that is the point some people are making right now.

As for the Blaiser, he is getting close to retirement and probably cares more about his grandchildren than winning another NCAA title. Whomever coaches after Hakstol will be young, hungry, energetic and innovative. And I hope that is only after Hakstol adds a couple of NCAA title banners to REA and Hakstol gets an NHL coaching offer he can't refuse.

Arguing that fans who are more patient don't care about winning a NC is a both a red herring and a gross oversimplification. We all want a banner, but to oversimplify the matter and say that Blais has won and therefore we need Blais, or the same for Sandelin, is just knee-jerk frustration. I wouldn't swap Hak for Lucia or Eaves, even they have won one or more, nor for Sandelin. But if Hak does not show he can adjust to the smaller, faster skillset the team has now (and seems to be getting next year), it might be that they have to look for that young, energetic, and innovative coach. That is a difficult task.

• Upvote 1

Arguing that fans who are more patient don't care about winning a NC is a both a red herring and a gross oversimplification. We all want a banner, but to oversimplify the matter and say that Blais has won and therefore we need Blais, or the same for Sandelin, is just knee-jerk frustration. I wouldn't swap Hak for Lucia or Eaves, even they have won one or more, nor for Sandelin. But if Hak does not show he can adjust to the smaller, faster skillset the team has now (and seems to be getting next year), it might be that they have to look for that young, energetic, and innovative coach. That is a difficult task.

This is a fair comment on the situation.