SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Vermont - FRIDAY GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

Thoughts from the game:

1) Very impressed with Stecher's play. He was very noticeable (in a positive way), which is hard to do as a freshman defenseman.

2) Not at all impressed with Mattson. He was very noticeable, but in a negative way. I'm still hoping he pulls out of his 'sophomore slump,' but this game was not a good start.

3) I think Johnson is going to be a very dynamic player. He also has some good chemistry with Parks.

4) Rocco is amazing. His goal was sick, and he did most of the leg work for Caggiula's goal. 4 points in the first game of the season? Not bad.

5) Can't blame Saunders for the first goal, as I think it deflected off two different players on its way to the net. But he definitely didn't look sharp. He's lucky his misplay behind the net didn't lead to an additional goal.

6) That's probably the best OD has looked in awhile. I'm glad he got the goal; hopefully, he'll get a little breathing room from the fans.

7) We were so spoiled by Knight's ridiculous face-off abilities. It's going to take some time to get used to not winning the vast majority of crucial face-offs.

Nice win.

The good...Rocco Zane Stecher Drake.

The bad...Mattson Mitch.

The ugly... Saunders

Tomorrow...Schmaltz for Mattson. Thompson for LaDue. Chyzyk for Mitch.

Mac OD Parks

Murphy Chyzyk Johnson

Other 2 lines the same.

Thoughts from the game:

1) Very impressed with Stecher's play. He was very noticeable (in a positive way), which is hard to do as a freshman defenseman.

2) Not at all impressed with Mattson. He was very noticeable, but in a negative way. I'm still hoping he pulls out of his 'sophomore slump,' but this game was not a good start.

3) I think Johnson is going to be a very dynamic player. He also has some good chemistry with Parks.

4) Rocco is amazing. His goal was sick, and he did most of the leg work for Caggiula's goal. 4 points in the first game of the season? Not bad.

5) Can't blame Saunders for the first goal, as I think it deflected off two different players on its way to the net. But he definitely didn't look sharp. He's lucky his misplay behind the net didn't lead to an additional goal.

6) That's probably the best OD has looked in awhile. I'm glad he got the goal; hopefully, he'll get a little breathing room from the fans.

7) We were so spoiled by Knight's ridiculous face-off abilities. It's going to take some time to get used to not winning the vast majority of crucial face-offs.

I didn't notice OD that much besides the fact he scored a goal. Overall the 2nd and third were alright...Rocco had nice numbers. I feel bad the mark had to play with his bro because he should be playing d1 hockey...still confused by that one. Overall the third period was fun to watch (besides one of the worst reffing performances I have ever witnessed). I'm guessing we get the W tomorrow....our squad is good.

Nice win.

The good...Rocco Zane Stecher Drake.

The bad...Mattson Mitch.

The ugly... Saunders

Tomorrow...Schmaltz for Mattson. Thompson for LaDue. Chyzyk for Mitch.

Mac OD Parks

Murphy Chyzyk Johnson

Other 2 lines the same.

Haha ladue shouldn't sit. Schmaltz for panz. Chyz for Mitch.

Haha ladue shouldn't sit. Schmaltz for panz. Chyz for Mitch.

In agreement with this. Panzarella was somewhere below Mattson, having no noticeable ability to shoot, pass, skate or comprehend a hockey game should probably put you in the seats. LaDue was solid, so were the other freshman but someone has to sit for Thompson tomorrow night. Coaches can worry about that.

Can we all agree that Mitch should be wearing a suite tomorrow?

I liked his aggressiveness (even though he drew a penalty right away), but he didn't really make any plays. In fact, that first line didn't really get much going.

Some observations from the game (in person)

1. Mattson had some issues, but he was paired with LaDue who really had some issues (sorry for those LaDue supporters). There were times, especially in the second period when it looked like LaDue wanted absolutely nothing to do with the puck. When he did touch it, he was in panic mode trying to figure out what to do with it. Mattson tried to cover for him but it did not look good. Out of all of the freshmen defense, LaDue was the only one who looked out of place (at least for part of the game). He also looked foot slow at times.

2. Gage Aasmus looked very good. He showed some strong offensive upside with speed, and he has quite an ability to knock down pucks thrown out of the zone along the wall. Vermont threw a number of clearing passes along the wall and Aasmus was able to keep them from going down the ice.

3. Stecher looked solid defensively. Didn't see much offensive push but he focused on what needed to be done.

4. Some of these freshmen forwards are going to be great if they hang around for 3-4 years. They have the ability to make some plays, although they lost it for about 12-13 minutes of the second period. They quit playing a team game and were doing too much PlayStation one against the world. Consistency is going to be an issue, at least for a while.

5. The whole team needs to work on catching passes, and not fanning on shots and passes. They lost control a number of times on passes that didn't go anywhere.

6. Gothberg looked absolutely solid. Saunders not so much, although there were deflections and he did stop a breakaway.

7. While Mitch maybe didn't do a lot out there, he did bring a physical element to the game. Brother Mark, meanwhile, looked pretty good.

8. Overall this team has some pretty good speed. It appears that Vermont got tired late in the second and third periods.

9. OD didn't look like he did much until later in the game. Then he began to be noticeable, especially after his goal.

10. This team has obviously been watching the football team. Way too many stupid penalties. And most of them (but not all) were good calls. The message was out, they are going to protect the puck carrier and watch for obstruction. And they did. So many of the penalties weren't of the hustle variety either. Roughing, elbowing, kneeing, etc.

11. A lot of the freshman got time on the penalty kill tonight. They really hustled, although some need to learn to temper that a little bit. Their all out hustle put them out of position several times and created opportunities for Vermont.

12. Total disappointment with Pattyn and Gaarder. Gaarder especially looked lost out there and did very little. It was fun watching Pattyn on Pattyn, especially late in the third period. In that late game matchup along the board, it was clear that UND Pattyn outplayed his brother.

13. Panzarella did not have a good game. While he maybe one of our more physical defensemen, he needs to play smarter. Dumb penalties.

14. It was a first game and much remains to be corrected, but there is some obvious chemistry at least among some pairs of players. Complete lines obviously aren't set yet, but there maybe some pairs of players that are.

Here's looking forward to the Saturday night game and hopefully see some progression and another win. I don't want to look ahead, but I am concerned about the games next weekend and what might happen to the psyche of this team. It would be great if we didn't have Miami right away.

• Upvote 1

Panz normally sits for a reason. I think you got his normal game last night. LaDue wasnt solid as some suggest. He struggled...but not as bad as Mattson. That pairing was not good all game long. Schmaltz and Thompson need to play tonight. Throw the 3 Dman names above in a hat and the 2 picked play.

OD scored and hopefully that jump starts him but prior to that he was typical OD...gave you very little. Only explanation for Mitch seeing ice time is man crush by Hak. I truly don't get this one. All the Fr. forwards are very solid. Johnson tops the list.

I think you load up the top two. Mark-Johnson-Parks, and then Rocco-Drake-Tambellini. After that it really doesn't matter. Just don't get scored on and anything you throw in offensively is a plus.

Mark and Luke each need to center a line IMO otherwise Gaarder centers 3rd line. Again Chyzyk needs to play...he is Colton w better offensive skill. Chyzyk Luke Murphy is a very good 3rd line combo if you go w Mark OD Parks. Rocco's line stays as is.