SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Official Tailgating Thread

Cratter

Maybe a little positive energy around here. Who else tries to tailgate religiously from here? I know CMSioux does as we met at MafiaMans Hoggsbreath Brunch, gfhockey sounds like you go a lot too. So far the most tailgaters were for SDSU by far. Who's got the best set up? Really wish it was easy to post pictures on this forums (had its own hosting server that could be uploaded from phones).

Yeah I saw MSU set up. I saw it Friday night and posted about it on the prediction thread...rain definitely put a damper on tailgating...I think the "student tailgating" section was empty.

Just like the student section will be in two weeks at Homecoming. And I honestly cannot blame them right now.

Is there tailgating at Volleyball???

I pulled my black cargo trailer to phi delt (it's closed for another week or so) and tailgated Saturday after the football game cause it was already was hooked up. Worked out pretty good. Heck I might do it Monday too for the FU game.

I've always wanted to buy an old charter bus and turn it into a tailgating rig. To justify the cost I figured I could set up some sleeping in it and use it for camping some and also take it to away games and stay in it.

When I lived in Mayville I rode up on the PLS bus a few times over the years and tailgated with them. That was always a blast. I haven't seen their bus there much since I moved to Williston. But the way the last season or two has gone I can't really blame people for not spending the money or taking the time to show up. :sad:

I've seen most of the different tailgating set ups that people bring but it would be fun to see some pictures of them, including the interiors. I've been inside a couple different ones but if anyone has any real interesting set ups or features it would be neat to see them.

I'm currently saving to buy an old delivery truck that I can turn into a tailgating rig. Saw one in Green Bay a few weeks ago with a grill mounted on the back and a roll out canopy mounted on the back for rainy days like last Saturday. Inside will be a kegerator, a couch, a TV, and whatever else I can squeeze in. Probably won't be a reality next year but I'm hoping it's at least partially ready for 2015.

Tailgate every weekend football is in town...try to take it to some hockey games before the snow hits too hard as well...I have 3 players parents who tailgate with us and the last one with Montana had 2 more families of players show up...My friend and I converted an old short bus into the GREEN MACHINE and we've been having fun doing this for the last 7 years! With the type of year the football team is having, you have to be glad at least you can tailgate and have some fun before getting depressed....It is plastered with Sioux stickers and it will never change!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone think a great tailgating area jampacked with cool setups and a great atmosphere would eventually lead to greater attendance (at least for the first half)?

It seems in today's culture tailgating is just as important as the game (at least for many fans/casual fans - especially when the team isn't very good).

I just feel the Alerus Center is ruining the tailgating atmosphere by charging people $15 per spot. I'm just an average Joe that loves UND football and The tailgating atmosphere (with no atmosphere there's no point in going). I do my best to get everyone I know to "at least come tailgating" and with any luck they might also end up going to the game (my friend and his girlfriend went for Montana cause a couple was giving away tickets at tailgating). Granted they were free tickets but I singlehandely got two more people to cheer on UND football, and with a good time tailgating and a better product on the field they might come back.

But it cost me $45 for them to enjoy that experience ($15 per spot. Who tailgates in just one spot anyways?!) How much are season tickets $60-70? "I could split costs with others." That would probably ensure even less people would want to tailgate given they already have to pay $5 to park already and walk to tailgating. Now this weekend do I ask my girlfriend and her lady friends that I'm going with to chip in also? I'm fortunate to be able to afford it, but I wonder how many people would also like to enjoy tailgating that can't afford it?! (Money saved would buy them a game ticket).

I feel if the average tailgator didn't have to spend an average of $315 per year to just tailgate, Game Attendance would increase.

Does anyone think a great tailgating area jampacked with cool setups and a great atmosphere would eventually lead to greater attendance (at least for the first half)?

It seems in today's culture tailgating is just as important as the game (at least for many fans/casual fans - especially when the team isn't very good).

I just feel the Alerus Center is ruining the tailgating atmosphere by charging people $15 per spot. I'm just an average Joe that loves UND football and The tailgating atmosphere (with no atmosphere there's no point in going). I do my best to get everyone I know to "at least come tailgating" and with any luck they might also end up going to the game (my friend and his girlfriend went for Montana cause a couple was giving away tickets at tailgating). Granted they were free tickets but I singlehandely got two more people to cheer on UND football, and with a good time tailgating and a better product on the field they might come back.

But it cost me $45 for them to enjoy that experience ($15 per spot. Who tailgates in just one spot anyways?!) How much are season tickets $60-70? "I could split costs with others." That would probably ensure even less people would want to tailgate given they already have to pay $5 to park already and walk to tailgating. Now this weekend do I ask my girlfriend and her lady friends that I'm going with to chip in also? I'm fortunate to be able to afford it, but I wonder how many people would also like to enjoy tailgating that can't afford it?! (Money saved would buy them a game ticket).

I feel if the average tailgator didn't have to spend an average of $315 per year to just tailgate, Game Attendance would increase.

They have a set number of spots that are set aside for full season tailgating at $50 per spot. That works out to $10 or less per game, depending on how many home games they have that season. This year it works out to $7 per game (only $2 more than simply parking). They sold out of those spots. They set aside so many spots for student tailgating. They have to reserve spots for regular parking for Champions Club members. They have to reserve spots for regular people parking. Therefore they have a limited number of spots you can buy on a single game basis for tailgating. You didn't buy your tailgating spots until after they were sold out of the season passes. That's why your cost is higher. That plus the fact that there are 7 games this year rather than the 6 home games that are usually on the schedule.

It is just like getting tickets for a game. They have a certain number of tickets available for season ticket holders and they try to have a limited number available on a game to game basis. The Ralph doesn't sell every seat to season ticket holders even though they have a waiting list. They sell a certain number of tickets on a single game basis. That gives people that are only going to 1 or 2 games a chance to participate. It costs more money per game that way, but there are also added costs of processing. Buy your tailgating spots earlier next year and the cost will be less than half of what you spent this year.

How did it use to work fine before the Alerus started charging and assigning seats? Or Memorial? There's plenty of open spots sell them for less.

I fully understand the dynamics. I don't agree with it. It's the most expensive piece of real estate in Grand Forks at the prices they charge per hour. Tailgating was fine when it was free at the Alerus Center and coincidentally more people attended the games. It's just turning away fans for $.

Sorta like discontinuing the shuttle bus service at hockey games to increase $ (by having less expenses).

Or the moral clause of not letting people smoke outside at the REA...which isn't even saving the Ralph any money. (Smoking outside is fine - just give us more money and you can smoke between periods - buy another game ticket to get back in).

I'm not a tailgater, so I don't know how it worked before. I know that people complained when the Alerus Center was losing money. A lot of people suggested paying for parking as a solution or partial solution. They started doing that for most events, at least for those events where tickets above a certain price are sold, and now the finances for the Alerus Center look much better. Parking fees aren't the only reason, but they are part of the reason.

If they were playing on campus it might be a different story, but they are playing in a public facility and the city isn't responsible for subsidizing UND football. The other thing to think about if they were back on campus is that they may not allow alcohol in tailgating. Many campus stadiums don't allow alcohol, especially in the parking lots (although not everyone follows those rules).

People pay a lot more than $5 for parking in most parts of the country. I've paid $20 or $30 dollars to park for an event, without tailgating. Tailgaters create more work for the Alerus Center because they have a lot more cleaning that needs to be done, so it makes sense that they charge more per space for tailgaters than they do for just regular parking. You are paying to use space for a certain amount of time just like paying for a ticket for an event.

And I am happy to help the Alerus make money. I'm glad it's there. Wouldn't have it any other way. I go to as many concerts as I can (and gladly pay for parking) even promoting the concerts here on SiouxSports (see George strait thread).

But as a fan of UND Football, I try and support the team and try to get others to help support it more. And the only real way to do that is by having great attendance. Which most would agree is an issue. I'm just pointing to one issue. I understand money rules the world. Minus food and alcohol sales, I feel the Alerus would rather have 7,000 people attending the games at $15 a ticket rather than 10,000 at $10 a game ($105,000 vs $100,000). And in a way I think that's what is happening with the cost of tailgating. I feel in the long run UND is losing money because of this. They need to build a bigger fan base and the cost of tailgating isn't helping!

So I didn't buy tailgating season tickets. Yeah its sold out but c'mon the price for one spot is more than my actual game ticket for Pete's sake (Cause I actually did buy season tickets for that)!

They need to concentrate on trying to get closer to the equilibrium point for maximizing profits.