SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-gopher Week

jk

Are the Gophers that good right now? Maybe, but there's certainly no evidence that they are. Sure, they're on an 11-1-2 streak, but against whom?

In that 11-1-2 streak, UMN's average opponent is ranked 24.6 by KRACH. That streak included only 3 games against top 10 opponents, in which the Gophers went 2-1-0.

Preceding that streak, the Gophers played opponents with an average KRACH ranking of 8.4, in which they posted a record of 2-7-1.

Bottom line is that the Gophers have "gotten hot" when they started facing weak opponents. Maybe that's just a coincidence and the Gophers really have gotten better with the return of Ballard/Harrington and apparent improvement from Briggs, but their record against bottom-tier opponents is hardly evidence of it. What will happen now that they're out of cupcakes? That's why they play the games :)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is no different with Mazziocco (sp?) and Woog when it comes to dealing with a Gopher loss. First they say that this is a game the Goofs shouldn't have lost and...

Nothing could be further from the truth. Woog is very quick to criticize the Gophers when they make an error, to compliment an opponent for doing something well, to criticize the officials when the Gophers got a gift call, and rarely (if ever) makes excuses for the Gophers. He may be a homer no doubt, but for the life of me I cannot comprehend people that don't hear the numerous times during a broadcast where he doesn't take the Gophers point of view.

Woog is very quick to criticize the Gophers when they make an error, to compliment an opponent for doing something well, to criticize the officials when the Gophers got a gift call, and rarely (if ever) makes excuses for the Gophers.

I don't know about that one. Every Gopher broadcast I've watched had those two basically celebrating their bias for that team. Plus, they have to be two of the biggest opponent of the sioux. Every "compliment" about UND is turned around the way you turn around a flaw to make it sound good.

Case in point:

(not a quote, rather an example) "Next week the Gopher hockey team hosts #1 ranked North Dakota in what should be a barn burner. Boy that UND team has really looked good." "Yeah, but they haven't played one of the harder schedules, and they've only played 6 road games!" "I guess their hardest days are ahead of them, you're right Doug." "Thanks for this stack of cash Coach Lucia." :)

And there are many many others

(not a quote, rather an example) "Next week the Gopher hockey team hosts #1 ranked North Dakota in what should be a barn burner. Boy that UND team has really looked good." "Yeah, but they haven't played one of the harder schedules, and they've only played 6 road games!" "I guess their hardest days are ahead of them, you're right Doug."

Thats the problem I have with that satement UND has the #1 SOS so I guess UND has played someone. And on the road UND only plays like 14 games this season on the road.

Ah, so the Wooger didn't kiss the Sioux's arse? As for there, "being others" I could probably find 10 complimentary remarks about opponents and cricisms toward the Gophers or calls they received for every 1 homer remark you think he's made.

I guess it doesn't matter too much to me... It's just sad sometimes when they are broadcasting games that the Gophers are losing and make the game so much less fun to watch. They pretty much skim over everything in the game (bright spots) and focus in on what the Gophers have to do to right their ship.

FWIW, I have conclusive evidence that the Sioux will not lose a game this weekend. How? Because I'm busy and can't attend. I'm serious (sort of) and here's why:

I lived in Milwaukee from 1987-1994 and in Madison from 1994-1999. During that time, I saw the Sioux play the Badgers 7 times. The Sioux lost all but one of those games. 1997 FF? My parents traveled 800 miles from Dickinson for their annual visit that weekend so I couldn't go.

Do you recall how the Sioux lost only one road game during the entire 1998-99 season? Yep. Madison on 2/27/99 with yours truly in attendance. Only game I saw that year.

I've lived in the Twin Cities since 1999. Last year, the Sioux torched everyone at home during the first half of the year. Well, except for the Mankato game that I was at that ended in a 6-6 tie, which is the lone game I saw last year. This year, the Sioux are 17-2-2. I've managed to see three games and have seen 3 of the 4 games that the Sioux didn't win. I was at REA for the 2-1 loss to STC and the 2-2 tie with UAA. I also traveled to St. Cloud for the 4-4 tie.

I've been offered tickets for both nights this weekend from Gopher-fan "friends" of mine who have witnessed my curse. Luckily for CB, I'll be detained all weekend at a conference in Eden Prairie :).

It's just sad sometimes when they are broadcasting games that the Gophers are losing and...pretty much skim over everything in the game (bright spots) and focus in on what the Gophers have to do to right their ship.

Gopher announcers discussing prospects for the Gopher hockey team? Surely you jest.

Thats the problem I have with that satement UND has the #1 SOS so I guess UND has played someone.

He's either been reading too much USCHO or is just plain ignorant about the sport. UND has the toughest schedule in the country by the most followed measures (RPI Opp%, RPI Opp-Opp%, and KRACH SOS). Every team has to play some lesser opponents, that's just the way schedules go, but if we're looking for a team that has derived much of its heft from cupcakes, I uncovered one while digging through the schedules for my post above:

UMN

----

vs. 1-10 KRACH: 3-8-1

vs. other 48 KRACH: 10-0-2

UND

---

vs. 1-10 KRACH: 11-2-2

vs. other 48 KRACH: 6-0-0

As I said above, perhaps UMN really has improved during their winning streak, but putting up 7-1 against MTech, Mankato, CC, and AA only proves that UMN is probably top 5 in the conference, it doesn't show us where in the top 5. Fortunately for the Gophers, they have every opportunity to prove their case with remaining conference series against UND, UW, UMD, AA, Denver, and SCSU (all top 10 KRACH).

NorthStar, you have been quiet this week. You aren't secretly a Gopher fan, are you? :p

Maybe you are just excited for the Gopher women's team to be on TV this weekend. :)

I know...my cheap roommate canceled the phone line so I have to go over to other's places to use the internet...otherwise I'd probably be more active.

Did someone say something about a cheerleader link :glare::lol: ?...please post it ;)

Ah, so the Wooger didn't kiss the Sioux's arse?  As for there, "being others" I could probably find 10 complimentary remarks about opponents and cricisms toward the Gophers or calls they received for every 1 homer remark you think he's made.

The nice thing is that I highly doubt Mr. Woog or his sideshow will play a prominant role in whichever team comes out victorious this weekend - it just might make it tough to keep the sound turned up on the television. Mute the TV and pipe in TH!

FWIW, I have conclusive evidence that the Sioux will not lose a game this weekend. How? Because I'm busy and can't attend. I'm serious (sort of) and here's why:

I lived in Milwaukee from 1987-1994 and in Madison from 1994-1999. During that time, I saw the Sioux play the Badgers 7 times. The Sioux lost all but one of those games. 1997 FF? My parents traveled 800 miles from Dickinson for their annual visit that weekend so I couldn't go.

Do you recall how the Sioux lost only one road game during the entire 1998-99 season? Yep. Madison on 2/27/99 with yours truly in attendance. Only game I saw that year.

I've lived in the Twin Cities since 1999. Last year, the Sioux torched everyone at home during the first half of the year. Well, except for the Mankato game that I was at that ended in a 6-6 tie, which is the lone game I saw last year. This year, the Sioux are 17-2-2. I've managed to see three games and have seen 3 of the 4 games that the Sioux didn't win. I was at REA for the 2-1 loss to STC and the 2-2 tie with UAA. I also traveled to St. Cloud for the 4-4 tie.

I've been offered tickets for both nights this weekend from Gopher-fan "friends" of mine who have witnessed my curse. Luckily for CB, I'll be detained all weekend at a conference in Eden Prairie :).

I thought I've had some tough luck, but it doesn't bear mentioning next to yours.

(We've seen some of the same games....)

Are the Gophers that good right now? Maybe, but there's certainly no evidence that they are. Sure, they're on an 11-1-2 streak, but against whom?

In that 11-1-2 streak, UMN's average opponent is ranked 24.6 by KRACH. That streak included only 3 games against top 10 opponents, in which the Gophers went 2-1-0.

Preceding that streak, the Gophers played opponents with an average KRACH ranking of 8.4, in which they posted a record of 2-7-1.

Bottom line is that the Gophers have "gotten hot" when they started facing weak opponents. Maybe that's just a coincidence and the Gophers really have gotten better with the return of Ballard/Harrington and apparent improvement from Briggs, but their record against bottom-tier opponents is hardly evidence of it. What will happen now that they're out of cupcakes? That's why they play the games :)

I think I can find some evidence of improvement. :glare:

Basically in the 11-1-2 streak, one can discard the wins over MSU, MTU and Princeton. Too easy. Downright, toaster strudel.

What is left is 6-1-2 vs. teams with an average Krach ranking of 14.5. To me that IS in fact far superior to their early season performance.

The question we all want to know is whether they can compete with the truly elite now. I don't think we will have the full answer until after the Gophers visit UMD. I think UMD is as close to BC and UND as anyone in the country.

You guys are hooked on Krach. Krach kills you know. :glare:

I think I prefer the trash talking compared to the stats attacks. I can't wait for the games to start and let the play do the talking. The worst thing that could happen is a split. Then both sides will be arguing about which team's split was better. :)

I know...my cheap roommate canceled the phone line so I have to go over to other's places to use the internet...otherwise I'd probably be more active.

Did someone say something about a cheerleader link :)  :glare: ?...please post it :lol:

You better make sure your cable is working so you can watch the games this weekend. Maybe they will have an interview with your woman when they show the women's game.

Cheerleader Link Post

What is left is 6-1-2 vs. teams with an average Krach ranking of 14.5.  To me that IS in fact far superior to their early season performance.

The question we all want to know is whether they can compete with the truly elite now.  I don't think we will have the full answer until after the Gophers visit UMD.  I think UMD is as close to BC and UND as anyone in the country.

I definitely agree with that, but having to reduce it to the 6-1-2 is a whole lot less impressive than the 11-1-2 that I keep hearing as evidence of how hot the Gophers are. Like I said, the Gophers have established themselves as being somewhere in the top 5 in the conference by manhandling the lower tier; where they are in the top 5 remains to be seen by how they handle the top tier (which they haven't had the opportunity to do, yet).

Admittedly, averaging ratings is a very dubious concept, which you definitely helped demonstrate by dropping a few of the outliers and dramatically affecting the result. The point I think I somewhat successfully made, though, is that despite being on a roll, it's a roll against significantly weaker competition than UM will face in the next month and a half.

Mariucci is always a tough place to play (no sweep yet for UND) and the Gophers will be pumped up for a critical rivalry game, yet I think UND has to objectively be the favorite. Of course, getting 3-4 points from UND would change UM's outlook quite a bit. (Remember, I did pick UMN to squeak into 2nd in my what-if :))

You guys are hooked on Krach. Krach kills you know. :glare:

I think I prefer the trash talking compared to the stats attacks. I can't wait for the games to start and let the play do the talking. The worst thing that could happen is a split. Then both sides will be arguing about which team's split was better. :)

we are hooked because KRACH is a much better system!

we are hooked because KRACH is a much better system!

Well maybe people need to get on the Speed system. I can't believe we are only on page 9 for this series. It is like nobody is excited anymore. Maybe it isn't the new REA's fault that the atmosphere is down. :)

Maybe it isn't the new REA's fault that the atmosphere is down. :)

You want thread atmosphere, too? Some people are just so hard to please. :glare:

Of course, there are at least four threads currently active dealing with various aspects of the Sioux-Gopher series.

Well maybe people need to get on the Speed system. I can't believe we are only on page 9 for this series. It is like nobody is excited anymore. Maybe it isn't the new REA's fault that the atmosphere is down. :)

Not excited? Are you nuts boy? I can't wait until I'm pulling up my stool friday afternoon at Stump and Linda's or whatever that place is called.