SiouxSports.com Forum

Congrats to NDSU

southpaw

Oh c'mon, do we really have to go through this again? You know what happened ... UND welched on a commitment at the last minute. Strikingly similar to what Montana State did to NDSU this year (although they weren't nearly as big of dicks about it). Now you expect us to believe that UND would never, ever do that ... again?

Was there a signed contract with a buyout? Your comparing the two like there was and I'm not sure there was a signed contract, just an assumption the game was going to continue. We all know UND held the press conference but did they walk away from a signed contract like MSU did?

Was there a signed contract with a buyout? Your comparing the two like there was and I'm not sure there was a signed contract, just an assumption the game was going to continue. We all know UND held the press conference but did they walk away from a signed contract like MSU did?

Roger hated them with a passion. I always loved that about him...but it could've been handled better.

Roger hated them with a passion. I always loved that about him...but it could've been handled better.

I don't disagree about that. What I don't know if there was a signed contract that UND walked away from. MSU bought out a signed contract and what he is claiming is UND did the same. I'm not aware of a signed contract, just an assumption there was going to be a game in 2004.

I don't disagree about that. What I don't know if there was a signed contract that UND walked away from. MSU bought out a signed contract and what he is claiming is UND did the same. I'm not aware of a signed contract, just an assumption there was going to be a game in 2004.

No contract...just a bruised Taylor ego. He needed games. Oh well, UND and NDSCS-Fargo will have no problem filling schedules in the future. No game forthcoming until Taylor's butthurt ego moves on...which could be never.

central, western, eastern??? who cares....dam near 50% of fbs schools go to bowls

Central won the MAC that year. It matters. We beat them badly. If not now, it certainly mattered at the time. Gene Taylor has done a masterful job of scheduling FBS games that are winnable. There are some elite programs that I doubt he'd try to schedule. For example, I doubt that Gene would try to schedule Oregon to have a track meet with them. The top tier of the SEC would also be a foolish mistake.

Some of the earlier FBS games seemed insurmountable. Other FCS programs should be glad that the Bison have shown that the difference between a strong FCS program and a mid-level FBS program really isn't that much. It's good for the credibility of all FCS programs when it comes to recruiting. We found that a lot of K-State fans had no clue what the FCS was. They talked about playing a DII program. Some of the talk was simply smack, but most of it was ignorance. I'd bet that a lot of those people, and the millions of viewers, have learned something about the FCS now.

Central won the MAC that year. It matters. We beat them badly. If not now, it certainly mattered at the time. Gene Taylor has done a masterful job of scheduling FBS games that are winnable. There are some elite programs that I doubt he'd try to schedule. Some of the earlier FBS games seemed insurmountable. Other FCS programs should be glad that the Bison have shown that the difference between a strong FCS program and a mid-level FBS program really isn't that much. It's good for the credibility of all FCS programs when it comes to recruiting.

"gene taylor has done a masterful job of scheduling fbs games that are winnable"--agreed...somehow he knows when certain fbs schools will suck from year to year...pure genius

"mid-level fbs program"--really??? you would call Ball State, Minnesota, Kansas, or CSU mid-level fbs programs??? really?

Tradition who cares about that. Seems to me neither Roger Thomas or Gene Taylor. Roger could have kept them on the schedule and yes it would have been alittle harder making the playoffs. Win the confrence and your in the playoffs.

Gene Taylor did he want to keep playing because of tradition or to fill out a schedule? I'm sure it was to fill out a schedule.

If the two teams would have kept playing would the Bison have been the ones to stop the series? They give alot of detailed excuses why they can't play UND now.

Both schools will be fine with or without the game. It seems UND has put out an olive branch to Mr. Taylor. He refuses to sign a contract. In my opinion SU won't play becauses it puts UND on a par with SU which we are but they don't think so. So much for tradition.

"gene taylor has done a masterful job of scheduling fbs games that are winnable"--agreed...somehow he knows when certain fbs schools will suck from year to year...pure genius

"mid-level fbs program"--really??? you would call Ball State, Minnesota, Kansas, or CSU mid-level fbs programs??? really?

So we agree that Gene Taylor has done a great job with scheduling for Bison football. Seems that NDSU's profile has steadily gone up. That's his job, I think. For all of the Gene Taylor critics here, it can't be denied that he's done the job for NDSU. Think that's in his job description.

Who backed out of the annual game in 2003? That's not that long ago. Why should NDSU believe that there won't be a repeat performance?

Funny how its all UND did this and UND did that , how come your Bison faithful never rip on USD for not playing NDSU but yet GT was quick to play them while USD was in the GWFC.

Tradition who cares about that. Seems to me neither Roger Thomas or Gene Taylor. Roger could have kept them on the schedule and yes it would have been alittle harder making the playoffs. Win the confrence and your in the playoffs.

Gene Taylor did he want to keep playing because of tradition or to fill out a schedule? I'm sure it was to fill out a schedule.

If the two teams would have kept playing would the Bison have been the ones to stop the series? They give alot of detailed excauses why they can't play UND now.

Both schools will be fine with or without the game. It seems UND has put out an olive branch to Mr. Taylor. He refuses to sign a contract. In my opinion they won't play becauses it puts UND on a par with SU which we are but they don't think so. So much for tradition.

Gene Taylor's job is to create schedules that build the programs. He's done a great job with football. Lest we forget, UND canceled all athletic competition with NDSU. The game between UND and NDSU will come back someday. It's a historic rivalry because both schools went through their eras of domination.

Shawn is correct, there was no contract. The schools had always played as a part of the same conference. They were negotiating a contract to continue playing after NDSUAAS left Division II. That is when Roger decided to stop playing. He had legitimate reasons to stop playing the football games.

But our guest from the North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences is wrong when he tries to compare the situation with Montana State. NDSUAAS had a contract with Montana State. MSU lived up to the contract by using a buy-out option that was in the contract. NDSUAAS did not have a contract with UND, and UND decided not to finish negotiating that contract with NDSUAAS. The only similarities are that MSU and UND disappointed the people at NDSUAAS, and now the fans at NDSUAAS (and Gene Taylor) are holding a grudge.

The situation with USD is slightly different than the one with UND.

NDSU moves to DI and both USD and UND cancel athletic play...how is that different? The fact that GT was quick to play USD while snubbing UND for the last 10 years makes him a tool.

NDSU moves to DI and both USD and UND cancel athletic play...how is that different? The fact that GT was quick to play USD while snubbing UND for the last 10 years makes him a tool.

Perhaps if the UND faithful hadn't made such a big deal about NDSU moving up, it would have made a difference. You guys were going to do everything better if you moved up. Remember that?

Perhaps if the UND faithful hadn't made such a big deal about NDSU moving up, it would have made a difference. You guys were going to do everything better if you moved up. Remember that?

Do you always live in the past and hold grudges. The whining from Fargo gets tiresome. That was a decade ago.

Do you always live in the past and hold grudges. The whining from Fargo gets tiresome. That was a decade ago.

The whining from GF has been louder ever since NDSU announced its intent to move to DI. The UND faithful have selective memories.

So we agree that Gene Taylor has done a great job with scheduling for Bison football. Seems that NDSU's profile has steadily gone up. That's his job, I think. For all of the Gene Taylor critics here, it can't be denied that he's done the job for NDSU. Think that's in his job description.

yeah all those great fbs wins over the last few years has really improved ndac's national prestige.....coming up on fox sports 1 "kansas state versus NORTH DAKOTA"...and ndac's championship banner being mailed to grand forks???

yeah all those great fbs wins over the last few years has really improved ndac's national prestige.....coming up on fox sports 1 "kansas state versus NORTH DAKOTA"...and ndac's championship banner being mailed to grand forks???

North Dakota State was the name the announcers used. The audience was huge. Live with it. NDSU doesn't try to bask in the glory of UND's flagship program. Each school has its flagship, that it will protect.

North Dakota State was the name the announcers used. The audience was huge. Live with it.

the audience was huge??? let's get some facts here?? what is your definition of "huge"...if i remember correctly a und fan had to set a ndac fan straight about tv coverage last year when the FACTS were that tv rating for the worst bowl game was significantly higher than the the fcs championship game iirc yet according to all ndac fans the tv ratings were "HUGE"

As do you.

By the way, you may not have noticed that this is a UND forum. If you don't want to hear the opinions of UND fans there is a simple solution, don't read the forum. Go live in your own little world down at BSville. Then you don't have to listen to what UND fans have to say. I don't think that a lot of UND fans stick their nose in BSville, not like the number of BSvillers that keep showing up here.