SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Preseason Media Poll August 13th 2013

Matt

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/cfoot225poll.aspx

Good showing by the Big Sky

The Sports Network FCS Top 25

College Football Poll

Team (First-place votes) 2012 Record Points Previous Rank

1. North Dakota State Bison (127) 14-1 3340 1

2. Montana State Bobcats (1) 11-2 3079 5

3. Sam Houston State Bearkats (5) 11-4 2941 2

4. Eastern Washington Eagles 11-3 2873 4

5. Villanova Wildcats 8-4 2334 15

6. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 9-4 2268 14

7. Central Arkansas Bears 9-3 2244 10

8. Wofford Terriers 9-4 2089 7

9. Georgia Southern Eagles (1) 10-4 2002 3

10. New Hampshire Wildcats 8-4 1920 13

11. Towson Tigers 7-4 1871 17

12. Appalachian State Mountaineers 8-4 1696 9

13. Illinois State Redbirds 9-4 1657 8

14. Cal Poly Mustangs 9-3 1646 12

15. Richmond Spiders 8-3 1384 18

16. Stony Brook Seawolves 10-3 1178 11

17. Northern Iowa Panthers 5-6 1106 NR

18. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 8-3 988 20

19. James Madison Dukes 7-4 964 19

20. Montana Grizzlies 5-6 813 NR

21. Eastern Illinois Panthers 7-5 686 NR

22. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 10-1 587 16

23. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 9-3 514 22

24. Chattanooga Mocs 6-5 505 NR

25. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 8-5 489 24

Others receiving votes: Eastern Kentucky 468, Youngstown State 463, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 174, Colgate 174, Tennessee State 151, Wagner 140, Delaware 130, The Citadel 100, Indiana State 90, Penn 57, McNeese State 46, Sacramento State 44, Samford 39, Southern Illinois 39, Harvard 35, South Carolina State 32, Southeastern Louisiana 30, Tennessee-Martin 29, Stephen F. Austin 17, San Diego 15, Albany 13, Liberty 12, Bucknell 11, Grambling State 8, North Carolina Central 8, Tennessee Tech 6, Jackson State 6, Furman 4, Alabama A&M 4, Alabama State 4, Alcorn State 4, William & Mary 4, Jacksonville State 3, Missouri State 3, Weber State 2, Murray State 2, Butler 2, Elon 2, Florida A&M 2, Northwestern State 1, Duquesne 1, Drake 1.

Maybe the Jackrabbits won't take UND seriously when they come to the Alerus.

If we can contain their RB Zenner we have a shot...by contain I don't mean shut down because that kid is too good. I mean keeping him below 150 yards and getting a couple clutch stops when absolutely needed. Then they will be forced to beat us in the air and from all indications we are much better in the secondary this year compared to the past few seasons.

That said I seriously hope they come into the Alerus thinking that they have already won.

If we can contain their RB Zenner we have a shot...by contain I don't mean shut down because that kid is too good. I mean keeping him below 150 yards and getting a couple clutch stops when absolutely needed. Then they will be forced to beat us in the air and from all indications we are much better in the secondary this year compared to the past few seasons.

That said I seriously hope they come into the Alerus thinking that they have already won.

Well, let's hope that the hire of Kotelnicki pays off...and those rabbits overlook the team formerly known as Sioux.

Well, let's hope that the hire of Kotelnicki pays off...and those rabbits overlook the team formerly known as Sioux.

I intend to lose my voice from screaming at the game, we need to make that Alerus loud and not just on 3rd down. UND crushed them at the Alerus in 2001...lets repeat that.

• Upvote 2

Some of you have missed or are ignoring the obvious: John Stiegelmeier's Jackrabbits are humble -- sometimes to a fault. I can't think of a Jackrabbit football team under Stiegelmeier looking beyond, overlooking, or underestimating an opponent. (Some of our fans wish our guys displayed some swagger but they don't and won't. E.g. Go to the game and watch Zenner. If he breaks one and goes the distance, he'll calmly hand the ball to the ref and trot off the field--all in a day's work.)

The only game in recent memory that may have appeared to show we overlooked a team, was the season opener in 2006. The Jacks hosted DIII UW-Lacrosse and completely blew it. But I think we just played poorly and UW-L had a plan and stuck with it. The next two games that year proved the SDSU team had some sort of problem: a 0-3 start. Then the Jacks got on track and won seven in a row (and ended the season with a loss at NDSU).

I recognize your comments are more expressions of 'hope' that SDSU will travel to Grand Forks with the wrong attitude but I don't think that will happen. The Jackrabbits have a long memory and know well the tradition of UND football. We'll be favored but the Jackrabbit team won't look at it that way and I'm sure UND's team won't look at it that way either.

I'm thinking about driving up for the game...I can get to Grand Forks in about three hours but I haven't been to an SDSU v. UND game since the Memorial Stadium days when I was in college.

Some of you have missed or are ignoring the obvious: John Stiegelmeier's Jackrabbits are humble -- sometimes to a fault. I can't think of a Jackrabbit football team under Stiegelmeier looking beyond, overlooking, or underestimating an opponent. (Some of our fans wish our guys displayed some swagger but they don't and won't. E.g. Go to the game and watch Zenner. If he breaks one and goes the distance, he'll calmly hand the ball to the ref and trot off the field--all in a day's work.)

The only game in recent memory that may have appeared to show we overlooked a team, was the season opener in 2006. The Jacks hosted DII UW-Lacrosse and completely blew it. But I think we just played poorly and UW-L had a plan and stuck with it. The next two games that year proved the SDSU team had some sort of problem: a 0-3 start. Then the Jacks got on track and won seven in a row (and ended the season with a loss at NDSU).

I recognize your comments are more exp<b></b>ressions of 'hope' that SDSU will travel to Grand Forks with the wrong attitude but I don't think that will happen. The Jackrabbits have a long memory and know well the tradition of UND football. We'll be favored but the Jackrabbit team won't look at it that way and I'm sure UND's team won't look at it that way either.

I'm thinking about driving up for the game...I can get to Grand Forks in about three hours but I haven't been to an SDSU v. UND game since the Memorial Stadium days when I was in college.

UW-L is DIII and I don't think SDSU will play that bad, also I think SDSU knows UND will focus on Zenner and could use him in the passing game either as a decoy or throw the ball to him. UND's D better play perfect football or it could get ugly. On the other side SDSU's passing defense better be ready or our receivers will light them up like we did against Montana.

UW-L is DIII and I don't think SDSU will play that bad, also I think SDSU knows UND will focus on Zenner and could use him in the passing game either as a decoy or throw the ball to him. UND's D better play perfect football or it could get ugly. On the other side SDSU's passing defense better be ready or our receivers will light them up like we did against Montana.

Very true. UND has been passing the ball very well.

I think we're seeing a bit of hope, like the Jackrabbit fan said, but also to be realistic this poll does give good fodder for the UND football team. No respect given at all.

The only game in recent memory that may have appeared to show we overlooked a team, was the season opener in 2006. The Jacks hosted DII UW-Lacrosse and completely blew it. But I think we just played poorly and UW-L had a plan and stuck with it. The next two games that year proved the SDSU team had some sort of problem: a 0-3 start. Then the Jacks got on track and won seven in a row (and ended the season with a loss at NDSU).

I recognize your comments are more expressions of 'hope' that SDSU will travel to Grand Forks with the wrong attitude but I don't think that will happen. The Jackrabbits have a long memory and know well the tradition of UND football. We'll be favored but the Jackrabbit team won't look at it that way and I'm sure UND's team won't look at it that way either.

You ought to head up. I"m sure you'll get a bunch of recommendations for restaurants and places to go after the game. If you do, enjoy the game....Hopefully, not too much! :)

SDSU played NDSU tough last year in the FargoDome, so I expect them to handle the Alerus Center crowd/noise with little to no problems; not to mention, UND's run defense is porous relative to NDSU's run defense. This game will be a great early indication of how the season will go. If UND can pull off this game, or even just play the Jacks tough, then this season could be a decent to good one.

I predict UND will need to hit a lot of big plays through the air in order to pull off this game; fortunately, with G. Hardin, J. Jackson, K. Golladay and company, that is certainly possible. Put up over 35 points on the board and a running team, even one as good as SDSU, will have trouble putting up enough points to win.

SDSU played NDSU tough last year in the FargoDome, so I expect them to handle the Alerus Center crowd/noise with little to no problems; not to mention, UND's run defense is porous relative to NDSU's run defense. This game will be a great early indication of how the season will go. If UND can pull off this game, or even just play the Jacks tough, then this season could be a decent to good one.

I predict UND will need to hit a lot of big plays through the air in order to pull off this game; fortunately, with G. Hardin, J. Jackson, K. Golladay and company, that is certainly possible. Put up over 35 points on the board and a running team, even one as good as SDSU, will have trouble putting up enough points to win.

Sumner is very underrated. If the Jacks need to throw that ball - he can do it very well.

I like that mentality. Not a big fan of smack or chest thumping.

The only game in recent memory that may have appeared to show we overlooked a team, was the season opener in 2006. The Jacks hosted DIII UW-Lacrosse and completely blew it. But I think we just played poorly and UW-L had a plan and stuck with it.
If I recall correctly the mud didn't help either. Great neutralizer.

The only game in recent memory that may have appeared to show we overlooked a team, was the season opener in 2006. The Jacks hosted DIII UW-Lacrosse and completely blew it. But I think we just played poorly and UW-L had a plan and stuck with it. The next two games that year proved the SDSU team had some sort of problem: a 0-3 start. Then the Jacks got on track and won seven in a row (and ended the season with a loss at NDSU).

Wow - a visiting fan from another team and no smack - welcome. Come to the game early and walk through the tailgating area - you're welcome to stop into the Siouxpride.com van site for a beverage. Sorry but gotta say it - we hope you leave the game disappointed and your team takes it out on FU later :).

Sumner is very underrated. If the Jacks need to throw that ball - he can do it very well.

He can throw the ball well, but I'm sure Kotelnicki would rather force SDSU to throw the ball with Sumner than have Zenner consistently break off huge gains on the ground like we saw last year's UND defense give up.

The jacks game is obviously a big one for the Green and White (yuck). But this is perhaps an even bigger game for the jacks given what they did last year and what they want to accomplish this year. Look at this from their perspective for a sec: if they want to reach their goals, losing a game to a Big Sky team, particularly one that is picked as a middle of the pack team, could really put them behind the 8-ball in the playoff picture. They saw how important home field is in the playoffs. Plus, look at their schedule. The UND game is on the 7th, then they play at Nebraska on the 21st, and turn around and face the ac on the 28th? If they lose at UND, not only does that home game vs the ac becomes a bit of a "must win" (as much as there is one that early in the season) in the home playoff picture down the road, but they'd have to do it after pounding heads with Nebraska? Not only that, but they book-end that run with a hobo day match up with Dale Lennon?

I'd say this is a big game for both teams, but in very different ways.

• Upvote 1

Wow - a visiting fan from another team and no smack - welcome. Come to the game early and walk through the tailgating area - you're welcome to stop into the Siouxpride.com van site for a beverage. Sorry but gotta say it - we hope you leave the game disappointed and your team takes it out on FU later :).

Hope thats not the case. Got Jackrabbit season tickets this year so we could have good seats to watch the Herd keep the Marker...again.