SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2013

geaux_sioux

this valpo game is pretty much a scrimmage getting ready for the sdsu game...if bartels is the starter give him damn near the whole game to get a feel for a live game for the first time in a couple of years...the sdsu game will be huge for the seaon going forward...but if bartels is the starter let him play 99% of the snaps to be ready for the jacks

I agree. Playing live vs your own D will give you a better test than what they will see against Valpo. Whomever is starting needs nearly all the practice reps with the entire first team O to prep for the Jacks game.

Back in the days of yesteryear, a university that may be named later would designate a series, for example the first series of the second quarter, that the #2 quarterback would play. It gave him game experience, the defense a different look, and the offense new it was going to happen. Not really sure about the stats for that, but the university typically had a pretty good record.

Not a fan of switching up the QBs for different series. There has been many schools to try it and far more often than not it is unsuccessful. Pick your QB and go with him until he shows he isn't the best option. I thought for certain that Mollberg was going to be the guy but if Bartels out performed him and deserves the spot than I think you have to go with him. If Bartels is bad in the first game then you let Mollberg have at it in the next.

Back in the days of yesteryear, a university that may be named later would designate a series, for example the first series of the second quarter, that the #2 quarterback would play. It gave him game experience, the defense a different look, and the offense new it was going to happen. Not really sure about the stats for that, but the university typically had a pretty good record.

Gators with FR Tebow?

I would have no problem with Mollberg getting into the game for some reps, if they are truly a 1a/1b kind of thing, then I think you need to look at getting him some reps in what should be a tuneup game. I'm not saying play each QB 1 half, but maybe Bartels for 3 quarters, then insert Mollberg and let him run the actual offense, not the clock-killing offense UND prefers to run in those situations when up by 50 :)

I'm torn on playing time for Thursday. On one hand, Bartels earned the job and I would like to see him get some game time to develop rhythm with the offense. On the other hand I would like to see Molberg get equal reps and run a different type of offense to get something else on tape for SDSU to prepare for. A coach like Stig has seen everything but forcing their defense to prepare for two different types of QBs can only help us the following week.

• Upvote 2

Pick a QB and go with it. If UND is playing musical chairs with the QBs during the SDSU game, they will lose handily. If Bartels is the guy, then let him prepare and lead the offense like he's the guy. Playing SDSU, Montana, and Montana State in a row after Valpo does not allow UND to be complacent - they must allow one guy to grow and gain experience so that when the conference schedule begins with MSU, UND has put themselves in the best position. I just hope that Mollberg realizes his importance on this team and still stays with UND despite Bartels winning the job.

Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling that we might see both QBs play considerable time against SDSU and neither will be given the chance to get into a rhythm. Result: Interceptions and a loss

See 2012 Eastern Washington game

See 2012 Eastern Washington game

Don't remind me..... Marcus started that game on fire and the offense was rolling down the field. Then Breitbach forced Hanson in and ruined the flow for the offense. Game over after that. You would think Schleusner and Mussman learned from that debacle.

If UND wants to establish the run, I am surprised they are starting Bartels. Mollberg gives them a run option to go along with his strong arm. Don't forget this competition was so close no one knew until just now who would start. That close competion was regarding the passing game and reading defenses, not the run game. Having said that I believe Bartels has earned the chance to start. If you don't give both guys playing time with the other starters in the first half, preferably the first quarter, you are not very smart. The competion between these two might last through next spring ball then the number two guy will likely leave. Neither of these guys are going to wait for an injury or be satisfied with mop up duty and they shouldn't. They are both too good to sit on someone's bench. Right now they both have a great attitude and want to win and will do whatever it takes to help the team so it is a moot point what happens until the end of the season as long as we are winning and scoring points. With the competition this close, if one falters the other needs to be in there. I prefer a "gamer" and sometimes you don't see all of that until game time. Might be both of them. We also need to do a better job of getting our RB's playing time. Miller, Garmin, Shaugaby, and Sparks need to play and not just short yardage.

• Upvote 1

Not surprising but still disappointing! I just hope Palendech stays - he is apparently quite talented but with Mollberg and Bartels only one year ahead of him, he may want to find a school where he is more likely to see the field sooner.

Yep, that makes at least two of us hoping he stays at Grand Forks. A very good student and probably will get turned on to the classroom experience this year.

(Two "a" 's in Palandech. Around East Iowa the mild Northern accent sometimes makes it sound as 'Pawwlendek' instead of Chicago-area pronounciation.)