SiouxSports.com Forum

New Medical School

GeauxSioux

During the recent legislative session money was appropriated over the next two bienniums to the tune of $124M for the new medical school.

Looks like the ball is rolling.... Grand Forks firm tackles med school project

A new facility housing UND’s School of Medicine and Health Sciences will be designed by an architecture firm the university has relied on for decades, the university announced Tuesday.

UND President Robert Kelley named Grand Forks firm JLG Architects as the lead designer of the $124 million project. With an “ambitious” move-in date slated for summer of 2016, the university chose JLG because of its “very specific proposal plan to get this project moving and off the ground very quickly,” said Randy Eken, who was chairman of the architect selection committee.

I had thought they had a site selected on Columbia, where the soccer field is, but sounds like they aren't married to that site....

The next step for the university is selecting a site for the new facility, a decision that will ultimately fall to the president, said Eken, who is also associate dean for administration and finance at UND.

Several sites on campus are under consideration to hold the 378,000-square-foot facility, such as the soccer field directly north of the school’s current location and one further north on the corner of Gateway Drive and North Columbia Road. Areas west of campus are also being considered, but work hasn’t been completed yet to evaluate those sites, he said.

With the construction of the new IPF coming soon, the NDUS IT building, an addition to the law school and the new medical school over the next few years, UND will have a new look in a couple of years.

Exciting times at UND!

• Upvote 3

I graduated from the School of Business this May and there was also talk of raising money to renovate and/or build a new business school as well.

On a side note, what happens to the old med school with the completion of the new one? I've heard rumors of turning them into dorms and trying to increase enrollment but I wouldn't consider it from a good source.

One of GF architects once had renderings on their site for the addition/renovation to the School of Business. Haven't seen it in a couple of years, though.

I believe it is a project still in the pipeline but at least a couple years down the road. My guess is they want to get the med school, IPF and law school renovations taken care of before they start another major project.

One of GF architects once had renderings on their site for the addition/renovation to the School of Business. Haven't seen it in a couple of years, though.

More like 6 + years ago (Mar 2007).... In a Community thread here titled Building and Building, post #15 from Star2City and a link to GF Guy blog that is no longer in existence. JLG Architects no longer has the Facility plan on their web site, but this is the link to the old blog http://grandforkslife.blogspot.com/search/label/UND?updated-max=2007-10-18T22:55:00-05:00&max-results=20&start=20&by-date=false. About half way down the page.
  • Upvote 1

More like 6 + years ago (Mar 2007).... In a Community thread here titled Building and Building, post #15 from Star2City and a link to GF Guy blog that is no longer in existence. JLG Architects no longer has the Facility plan on their web site, but this is the link to the old blog http://grandforkslif...0&by-date=false. About half way down the page.

Can't believe it was 6 years ago. I'm getting old. Thanks for the link.

I believe that the COBPA facility is part of an ongoing capital campaign. This from the COBPA web site indicates that 2015 is the target for the end of this fund raising.

Challenge Grant

One donor has stepped forward with a historic $10 million commitment to match gifts made through June 2015 to support the UND College of Business & Public Administration as it moves from great to exceptional. Endowments established to support new programs, scholarships, and faculty within the College of Business & Public Administration may be matched 3:1.

The gift established by the B. John Barry Family as a Challenge Grant, and is among the largest gift ever given to UND through the UND Foundation. In total, it will have a $40 million impact on the College of Business & Public Administration.

So someone is legitimately ponying up that much money for a new business department? Color me impressed by private donations lately

The Barry Family donated $10 million. For every $3 someone donates, they will match $1. That is where the $40 million comes from. I believe this was part of the $100M goal of the CoBPA that was part of the Spirit campaign.

• Upvote 1

The Barry Family donated $10 million. For every $3 someone donates, they will match $1. That is where the $40 million comes from. I believe this was part of the $100M goal of the CoBPA that was part of the Spirit campaign.

That's pretty ridiculously awesome of them

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated from the School of Business this May and there was also talk of raising money to renovate and/or build a new business school as well.

On a side note, what happens to the old med school with the completion of the new one? I've heard rumors of turning them into dorms and trying to increase enrollment but I wouldn't consider it from a good source.

Given the track record around here for dealing with vacant buildings, they probably have already decided to tear it down. :silly:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good choice! Close enough to campus, but far enough away to provide parking and to be able to build it as big as they need to. Before the new REA was built, that whole area was wide open green space. Now, it's pretty much filled up.

Hope the med school (as well as Wal-Mart west of I29) leads to other businesses investing in Gateway Drive redevelopment. The traffic flow around N Washington and Gateway should warrant it.

Its funny to see a lot of buildings on that property. I tell my kids when I visit Grand Forks that growing up the only building on the land was the Columbia Road Fire Station. Now it has million dollar buildings on it. Boy times have changed in the last 15 years.

• Upvote 1

Can we start making jokes about having a large cemetery across the street from the med school? There's got to be dozens of good ones.

BTW, does anyone on here know in what part of said cemetery can you find the UND plot that houses the cremains of bodies donated to the med school? My family just found out my uncle's wife had his remains interred there rather than having them returned. It looks like a large cemetery from google maps, so I'd like to have some idea where to go rather than just wandering around until we stumbled across them. Also, does anyone know if the next interment ceremony will be this fall or next. The website says approx. every three years and the last one was in Sep 2011. Thanks if anyone has answers.