SiouxSports.com Forum

Chad Calcaterra

From what I'm hearing, 6'10 Center from Cloquet, Minnesota Chad Calcaterra is on campus and working out, getting ready for the season. But I didn't see any press regarding him actually committing to UND. If this is true, this is huge! We can replace a guy in Wilmer who really stepped it up. I think this kid has to have some form of skill if he originally committed to Colorado State by way of a great recruiting coach in Tim Miles. I see UND's future a little brighter now. Do we still have any available scholarships available or is that the only one? Any word on Traylor's eligibility?

Here is how I predict the lineup for 2013-2014:

5) Brekke

4) Nash or Calcaterra

3) Troy Huff

2) Aaron Anderson

1) Jamal Webb

6) Shuler

7) Hooker

8) Benton

9) Antwi

10) Traylor

11) Salmonson

12) Hobaugh

13) Blake Thomas

From what I'm hearing, 6'10 Center from Cloquet, Minnesota Chad Calcaterra is on campus and working out, getting ready for the season. But I didn't see any press regarding him actually committing to UND. If this is true, this is huge! We can replace a guy in Wilmer who really stepped it up. I think this kid has to have some form of skill if he originally committed to Colorado State by way of a great recruiting coach in Tim Miles. I see UND's future a little brighter now. Do we still have any available scholarships available or is that the only one? Any word on Traylor's eligibility?

Here is how I predict the lineup for 2013-2014:

5) Brekke

4) Nash or Calcaterra

3) Troy Huff

2) Aaron Anderson

1) Jamal Webb

6) Shuler

7) Hooker

8) Benton

9) Antwi

10) Traylor

11) Salmonson

12) Hobaugh

13) Blake Thomas

That would be great news - can anyone confirm this?

From my understanding, I believe he will have 2 years left and can play immediately. To me this is a low risk/high reward situation for UND. At worse, he is a guy that can come in and give us depth in a position we desperately need (a true center) and give us minutes where he can rebound, play defense, get block shots, and provide some putbacks. If he at all is a better version of Wilmer at the Big Sky tourney, which he has potential to do so, we will close the gap considerably on Weber and have a solid starter at the 5 next year.

I know he played at CSU and all but he only averaged 8 minutes a game at his Community College and not very impressive stats. http://stats.njcaa.o...dcalcaterraxw3u

Was wishing for better numbers but when he did shoot he shot around 58% from the floor. Only 8 minutes a game is not so good but he is big and could easily develop into a nice role players.

Tom Miller is tweeting that Chad's JUCO coach said he was competing for playing time with four 6-10 centers on the roster, all with D-1 talent.

Situation was not much better at Colorado State, where he was one of only two sophs on the roster; the rest of the roster included 7 seniors and 2 juniors. And one of the juniors was a 7-foot, 280-pound solid chunk of humanity.

Still, Chad has experience playing in the Big Dance, collecting minutes in the Rams' loss to Murray State in 2012 at Louisville, Ky.

Tom Miller is tweeting that Chad's JUCO coach said he was competing for playing time with four 6-10 centers on the roster, all with D-1 talent.

Situation was not much better at Colorado State, where he was one of only two sophs on the roster; the rest of the roster included 7 seniors and 2 juniors. And one of the juniors was a 7-foot, 280-pound solid chunk of humanity.

Still, Chad has experience playing in the Big Dance, collecting minutes in the Rams' loss to Murray State in 2012 at Louisville, Ky.

Excellent points.

Certainly interested to see what kind of starting line ups will be used this year. But I'm more interested to see different combinations on the foor as the game develops. For instance I don't know Nash's game but can he shoot it at all? If so, if a game situation called for it could you get long? For example could you have standard point and shooting guards- Anderson, Schuler, Huff, Hooker, Webb, Antwi- some combination - then go Nash, who I noticed has long arms at the 3, Brekke at the 4, and Calcaterra at the 5? Not saying that would be a normal look, just a look that could be possible if the situation called for it. With all the players available, its going to get really interesting. I think the coaching staff could get really creative with their personnel depending on the game situation.