SiouxSports.com Forum

Buy or Sell 2013

sioux24/7

Given what I saw from North Dakota last year coupled with the fact that we will have a freshman taking all the snaps this year, if North Dakota went 7-4 in 2013, I'd say Mussman would be a candidate for Big Sky Coach of the Year.

People keep saying that since there are 7 home games this year, that UND should be expected to win 7 games. I think that is asking alot. Sure, the schedule sets up nicely with 7 home games. But has everybody looked in depth at to who those opponents on the schedule are?

There are four Top 25 teams on the schedule in SDSU, Montana St., Eastern Washington, and Northern Arizona, two of which humiliated us a year ago. There is Sac St., who barely missed the playoffs, and Portland St. on the road who we barely snuck by at home. Throw in the Griz as well. This is likely going to be one of the toughest schedules in FCS this season.

I would argue that North Dakota had TWO of the better FCS quarterbacks in the country last season. Those two guys teamed with one of the worst FCS defenses in the nation to go 5-6. In 2013, the QB's will be unproven, nobody knows at this point if the defense will be at all better, and the schedule will be harder. Given all that, if North Dakota wins 7 games this season, then Coach Mussman would be deserving of a very long contract extension in my opinion....................

I would agree with the qb statement. tho it was no masterful manipulation by the coaching staff. Hanson was a drop-in gift. Hendrickson would have never taken a snap if Bradley stuck around. our wr core didn't hurt either. I think the freshman qb's looked ok in the spring game. it was just that, a spring game. the big sky hit squads wont be as easy on them. lets hope the ol can protect them and one of them will step up to handle the pressure. 7 wins this season would be a victory to me!

I disagree. Bradley would've played his way to the bench just like the season before if Hensrickson hadn't beaten him out in camp.

Bradley would have been the number 2. al least for the start. Hanson was only out a couple games. I agree that Bradley wouldn't have lasted long, but he would've made it a couple games until Hanson came back. Hendrickson had a great run when he had the chance to. I just don't think he would've gotten the chance if Bradley was there. JMHO anyway, the important thing now is to prepare for the future. I am not versed to know how much the practices create a "game-like" situations for qb's. they wont be the first or the last redshirt fr to get a starting spot. I am just interested to see how they can handle the intangible aspect of r"eal live" game management.

• Upvote 1

Sell, I think if he struggles early Muss will give Bartles a look.

Buy or Sell: UND starts conference play 3-0 (wins over Valpo, Montana and South Dakota State).

Buy or sell:

Valparaiso and South Dakota State are not in your conference

buy or sell: will UND lead the BSC in offense.

buy or sell: will have two 1000 yd receivers. this year.

i hope neither of these happen. I'd rather lead the BSC in wins and have WRs with good numbers but would take a 1000 yard rusher over a pair of 1000 WRs.

I'll sell both.

exactly, pistol with a power running back can make for some deep route reception. especially with a mobile QB that reads the defense well. before you know it you have the most powerful offense. the defense will need to create TO's and they can not give up the big plays.

i hope neither of these happen. I'd rather lead the BSC in wins and have WRs with good numbers but would take a 1000 yard rusher over a pair of 1000 WRs.

I'll sell both.

I'm not sure why you wouldn’t want UND to lead the Big Sky in offense. Anytime you lead a conference in offense, you probably are winning a lot of those conference games. Of course, if I had a choice between defense and offense, I'd much rather lead the conference in defense than offense. I will sell for both questions. UND will not lead the conference in offense with their mediocre RBs (Unless Sparks breaks out!) and freshmen quarterbacks. I also don’t see 2 1000 yd receivers, but a few over 700 is possible ( G.Hardin, J. Jackson & K. Golladay).

I'm not sure why you wouldn’t want UND to lead the Big Sky in offense. Anytime you lead a conference in offense, you probably are winning a lot of those conference games. Of course, if I had a choice between defense and offense, I'd much rather lead the conference in defense than offense. I will sell for both questions. UND will not lead the conference in offense with their mediocre RBs (Unless Sparks breaks out!) and freshmen quarterbacks. I also don’t see 2 1000 yd receivers, but a few over 700 is possible ( G.Hardin, J. Jackson & K. Golladay).

To lead the big sky in offense we would need to pass the ball more than I'd like. I'd rather be top three in rushing and have good passing numbers but most of all lead the league in possession time and turnover margin. Those two stats win games.

Funny how all of a sudden UND has become a passing threat. Its always been run, run, run then last year UND is smashing passing records in the BSC. Did Muss turn UND into a pass happy team? I like to have a balance team, running first but be able to throw the long ball with success. Without a running game, you are setting yourself up for disaster. Having 2 1000 yd receivers would be awesome, but if we don't get a W then its worthless. Now 2 1000 yd rushers would mean you are controlling the clock, and wearing the defense down. Which ever gets us wins is fine with me.

Buy or sell:

We will have at least 1 safety

We will have at least one successful onside kick

We will have at least one successful 2 pt conversion

Funny how all of a sudden UND has become a passing threat. Its always been run, run, run then last year UND is smashing passing records in the BSC. Did Muss turn UND into a pass happy team? I like to have a balance team, running first but be able to throw the long ball with success. Without a running game, you are setting yourself up for disaster

I agree with all that except for the idea that North Dakota is "all of the sudden" a passing threat. UND his always been a passing threat. Traditionally the Sioux have been very balanced. Most of UND's passing records have been set since Mussman has been here. Going back to the last 10 years in the NCC, QB's like Freund, Bowenkamp, Belmore, Manke, and Klosterman all put up some gaudy numbers in there time here. Last year was just phenomenal. A good coaching staff adapts to the talent on the roster, and that is what they did last year. Now this season we need more balance, and some of the running backs need to step up and take the load off of the wide receivers and young quarterbacks.

I agree with all that except for the idea that North Dakota is "all of the sudden" a passing threat. UND his always been a passing threat. Traditionally the Sioux have been very balanced. Most of UND's passing records have been set since Mussman has been here. Going back to the last 10 years in the NCC, QB's like Freund, Bowenkamp, Belmore, Manke, and Klosterman all put up some gaudy numbers in there time here. Last year was just phenomenal. A good coaching staff adapts to the talent on the roster, and that is what they did last year. Now this season we need more balance, and some of the running backs need to step up and take the load off of the wide receivers and young quarterbacks.

Seems like Brunell, Almlie (sp), Moore was the big stars that led UND to success in the 90's now it's the QB's. if we can get both great RB's and QB's on the field at the same time the team will go far. Last year seeing that air attack in person (PSU, UM) was something I haven't seen since maybe Kurt Otto in the mid 80's. it was fun to see points racked up in the air.

Funny how all of a sudden UND has become a passing threat. Its always been run, run, run then last year UND is smashing passing records in the BSC. Did Muss turn UND into a pass happy team? I like to have a balance team, running first but be able to throw the long ball with success. Without a running game, you are setting yourself up for disaster. Having 2 1000 yd receivers would be awesome, but if we don't get a W then its worthless. Now 2 1000 yd rushers would mean you are controlling the clock, and wearing the defense down. Which ever gets us wins is fine with me.

Buy or sell:

We will have at least 1 safety

We will have at least one successful onside kick

We will have at least one successful 2 pt conversion

Buy

Sell

Sell

Ill buy with an improved defense. An onside kick is rare so ill hope we don't need one.

Shaugabay and Sparks need a lot of touches.

• Upvote 2