SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Niagara - NCAA 1st round

AZSIOUX

Just read the article on CHN about this years tourney. Niagra coach goes on to give his team a great endorsement, "We're really proud, and proud of the league. We're going because Robert Morris was 5-1-1 against (big teams). ... Our body of work is what it is. ... I'm so proud of our guys, it's great for the university. This is why we started this program 17 years ago."

Just read the article on CHN about this years tourney. Niagra coach goes on to give his team a great endorsement, "We're really proud, and proud of the league. We're going because Robert Morris was 5-1-1 against (big teams). ... Our body of work is what it is. ... I'm so proud of our guys, it's great for the university. This is why we started this program 17 years ago."

What a stupid comment to make. Made me laugh a little :)

RM beat Miami 1-0 in xmas tourney in pittsburgh and split with quinnipiac. Played Ohio st and penn state who are a joke along with army. Props for 2 nice wins but besides that RM plays same weak schedule as niagara. All it really does is highlight what he says, that his teams body of work didn't get them in.

hopefully that is the case because this year's team has had trouble "showing up" for games.

I was telling everyone that was counting on a UND MN game on friday that UND needed to win against CC first. I could see that CC had the guy named MO on its side. In this game against Niagra, UND has to pick up the guy named MO and let him go on a ride for four games with them.

UND needs to focus on Niagra and let Yale do what they may. If UND is looking ahead, it will be to Oct of 2013 they will be looking. This is the time of the year that upsets happen all the time. So lets beat Niagra and let the other side figure out what happens to them.

I'm sure the only people looking ahead are fans. No doubt this team is only concerned with playing Niagara right now. Hak would have it no other way.

Agree, and posted as such in another thread. The number one seed should earn the right to play the weakest two seed tn their region- the #8. Apparently the committee believes there is no difference between BC and UND. Quinnipiac as the one seed now likely faces defending champ and power BC in an arena an hour train ride from Chestnut Hill.

Agreed, but there are always homers that think UND should be the #1 seed every year regardless of their record. I like UNDs spot right now; should be able to handle Niagara just fine. Likely a rematch with the Goofs to go the the Frozen Four, which will be the B1G test. If we can bean Minnesota, we have a solid chance of #8. One game at a time, but if there is a silver lining; should we make it to the Frozen Four, we wouldn't have to play BC.

Agreed, but there are always homers that think UND should be the #1 seed every year regardless of their record. I like UNDs spot right now; should be able to handle Niagara just fine. Likely a rematch with the Goofs to go the the Frozen Four, which will be the B1G test. If we can bean Minnesota, we have a solid chance of #8. One game at a time, but if there is a silver lining; should we make it to the Frozen Four, we wouldn't have to play BC.

yes we could, in the title game. :)

Just remember that this is the same Minnesota that was shut out by CC in the Final Five, shut out by Denver earlier in the year, and chocked last year in the Frozen Four.

I assume you mean 'choked,' but regardless, if you think NoDak could have played any better with their M*A*S*H unit, you're wrong.

Agree, and posted as such in another thread. The number one seed should earn the right to play the weakest two seed tn their region- the #8. Apparently the committee believes there is no difference between BC and UND. Quinnipiac as the one seed now likely faces defending champ and power BC in an arena an hour train ride from Chestnut Hill.

Quinnipiac is just 110 miles away, you don't think they will travel well too? I believe that there will be plenty of fans there for both.

Everyone seems to think that this was a huge injustice done to UND. According to Pairwise UND was an 8 seed, and Minnesota a 2 seed. The 2 seed should have the 7 seed in its bracket. The 7 seed is New Hampshire, and they are hosting their own regional, so they couldn't be in the same bracket as Minnesota. So switching the 7 and 8 seeds is not a big injustice. It is unfortunate that UND and Minnesota end up in the same regional again instead of having the chance to meet in the Frozen Four. But it isn't a huge injustice to either school based on their Pairwise ranking.

The biggest injustice was probably done to Quinnipiac, and Boston College got the biggest advantage. Quinnipiac was ranked number 1 because they won the games they needed to win to get that ranking. They end up playing in the same bracket as Boston College, less than 1 hour from the BC campus. That isn't an advantage for Quinnipiac. It gives BC more of an advantage than they earned this season. That is the bracket with the biggest injustices. UND and Minnesota in the same bracket is just unfortunate.

The injustice was moving Denver from Providence. Not an injustice to Denver but a great gift to BC. Now they play Union. It was a given that the Sioux would be moved to West or Midwest. Paranoia tells me they wanted to make sure in wasn't a WCHA final four and didn't want the Sioux and Minnesota playing for the championship.

Quinnipiac is just 110 miles away, you don't think they will travel well too? I believe that there will be plenty of fans there for both.

It isn't one factor alone, but the synergy of all- supposed to play #8, end up drawing #6 (actually tied for #5), and then on top of that, having it be played close to that team's home...and on top of that, have that #6 be the defending champ with a very strong tradition.

Enough of the conspiracy and injustice talk...let's make it happen on the ice.

Niagara is probably a pretty good team. I am guessing that they will be quick and not very physical. They will try and use their speed to exploit our dmen. We need to establish a strong forecheck, and establish a net front presence. Their goalie can't stop what he can't see. We need to up our compete and win puck battles on both ends of the ice. Score first and turn it into racehorse hockey- I think our stable is deeper, especially up front. They will focus on shutting down Danny and Corban, so Rocco, Easy Mac, Parks, Rowney, and Cags need to bring that secondary scoring. This would be an ideal time for Rocco to blast out of his goal scoring slump. Easy Mac too.

NCAA hockey is notorious for killing flow with TV timeouts, and the refs will likely call the game tight. We need to play smart, but not get off our game as a result.

Really no need for a four line game. Six shifts before a minute and a half break. I know six forwards that should play a ton of minutes.