SiouxSports.com Forum

Final WCHA conference standings

jimdahl

I am willing to bet that there are teams thinking that they will be home first round of the playoffs that might be packing their bags for a road trip.  Oh by the way, we could be one of them.  .

UND would really have to go into the crapper to have that happen to them... I think UND is much to deep and too focused to let that happen to them.

UND 28 46

UMD 28 37

SCSU 28 36

UW 28 34

UMN 28 32

Denver 28 29

CC 28 22

AA 28 19

Mankato 28 13

MTech 28 12

Its not all that out of the question for UND to win the league title. In fact it is in reach. Here is how it could happen. UND Sweeps Tech (very Do able)

takes three points UofW and 3 from DU in our barn, UND has won four of the last five games from them. Splits with UMD and Minnesota and sweeps of C.C. and Mankato... There it is...

While I like the scenarios from Goon and NorthStar where the Sioux basically win out the season and cruise to a 9 point margin :glare: I looked at it from the other perspective - what's the minimum that we have to do in key series to win the title.

First, the Sioux need to win the games we should win - Tech and Mankato in particular (12 points up for grabs).

Second, get 3 points each from home series with CC and DU.

My hypothetical total so far is 38 points.

Third, get 1 point each from road series at MN, WI and UMD.

41 points would put the title out of reach. Even if UMD or if WI were to run the table, it would not be enough for them.

(As to the Rodents, MN can only get to 41 if they win all their remaining games. Looks like their run for home ice may boil down to a series at DU on 2/27&28.)

===================

UND 41

UMD 39

UW 36

SCSU 36

DU 32

MN 32

CC 22

UAA 18

MSU 13

Tech 11

While I like the scenarios from Goon and NorthStar where the Sioux basically win out the season and cruise to a 9 point margin :glare: I looked at it from the other perspective - what's the minimum that we have to do in key series to win the title.

I have been looking through kelly green glasses...

I couldn't decide if I actually wanted to predict, but decided it would be fun to look at later.

UND 28 44

UMD 28 38

UW 28 35

UMN 28 34

SCSU 28 32

CC 28 23

Denver 28 23

AA 28 21

MTech 28 16

Mankato 28 14

I picked UMN to split their next three with UND, UW, UMD. What might be scary for them is that after those three tough series, they might let down and get snake bit by Denver and UAA, but I picked sweeps. Also, I think UW and SCSU still have a lot to prove through the rest of the games. I'm not yet convinced on either one.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't as adventerous as some of you but here are my picks now that things are clearing up a bit.

UND 28 43

UMD 28 40

UMN 28 35

SCSU 28 31

UW 28 31

AA 28 25

Denver 28 23

CC 28 20

Mankato 28 19

MTech 28 13

I think the Sioux are easily in the driver's seat for the McNaughton, and this scenario allows them to split 3 of their remaining 5 series, with Duluth splitting I think just 2 series and sweeping the rest. I don't believe SCSU or WI are serious threats to get on a big roll the way they are playing, and MN just has too far to go.

So my question is, can we stay sharp for the postseason? I still have nightmares of 1997-98 and 1998-99.

So my question is, can we stay sharp for the postseason? I still have nightmares of 1997-98 and 1998-99.

I hope we don't peak & dive like Howard Dean. Michigan in '96-'97 was almost unbeatable that season & was #1 throughout (Legg, Morrison, Muckalt & a host of other stars) until BU crashed their party in the national semis...CC last year...the Sioux in those years you mentioned, dagies. It almost pays to have an average first half & peak in February--maintaining this intensity for 6+ months has to take a toll. Kinda reminds me of the rabbit & the hare parable in a weird sorta way--let's hope not.

Of course, you have to have a good enough beginning of the season to get yourself in position near the top of the pairwise. Not too many teams that are not in the top 20 of the PWR by the beginning of the new year are going to be able to climb into the top 16 by the end of the season.

According to the CSTV vote polls (one on the main site and one on the hockey site) UND has been picked to win the national championships...

Here's the makeup: UND is the hockey team most likely to win the NC this year on the hockey site and 2nd to Duke among all college athletics as most likely to bring hom the NC. Interesting enough, on the hockey site, the second most votes in that category went to Minnesota. For an eastern tv channel, quite interesting.