SiouxSports.com Forum

Final WCHA conference standings

jimdahl

Call me homer, but UND does seem to be in the drivers seat yet again (though we all know how that ended last year). Why wait for the games to be played, I can tell you how it will end:

UND 42

UMN 36

UW 34

UMD 33

SCSU 32

AA 26

CC 26

Denver 26

Mankato 17

MTech 8

Q: Wait Jim, are you sure you got that right? CC and Denver in the bottom half?

A: The numbers don't lie. It's the year of the Minnesota teams.

Q: The Gophers overtaking the Badgers, really?

A: Have you been paying attention at all lately?

Q: AA is so scrappy, are you sure they won't finish over .500?

A: Honestly, I felt like I was searching for extra points to give them. Maybe they'll surprise me. Feel good story of the year. Lots of goals from Jim Dahl.

Q: It's not that I don't trust you, Jim, but I'd kind of like to see the numbers for myself

A: What-if calculator

Q: I heard this thing is full of bugs?

A: Nah, I declare it ready for human consumption. I fixed the numerous known bugs last week with two exceptions: it doesn't deal well with trying to load your saved picks in between games of a series (e.g. on Saturday afternoon); it still just gives conference standings, not tournament seedings (i.e. WCHA-specific tournament seeding tiebreakers are not programmed in).

UND 43

UMD 34

UMN 34

UW 29

SCSU 29

CC 29

Denver 25

AA 24

Mankato 19

MTech 14

UND in a walk. I'm glad my optimistic picks have the Gophers passing both UW and SCSU by a wide margin. My guess is that the race for third will be tighter than my picks show.

Here are my pre-season picks:

1. UND - Glorious return to the top. Claims the McNaughton anchor.

2. UM - Fail to capture the "ultimate", settle for another NC.

3. DU - Down again, up again, down, guessing an "up" season.

4. UMD - Scoring questions.

5. CC - Probably the only team in top five that could lose home ice.

6. SCSU - I can hear the whining about Dahl already.

7. MSU - More of their ties turn to losses than wins.

8. UW - I just love putting them down here.

9. MTU - Still better than AA.

10. AA - Three wins.

Not really that close, but I think I hit the champ.

One quick reminder, saving is smart so you can revisit how your picks result in a conference finish as real results come in (your picks for games that have passed are replaced with the actual results). The other nice thing that does is let us create some aggregate statistics, the prediction of the people, if you will.

UND 41

UMD 36

UMN 36

SCSU 32

UW 32

CC 30

Denver 26

AA 19

MTech 15

Mankato 13

-----------------------------------

I had a lot of splits the rest of the way most of the games.

-----------------------------------

For UND I had them getting 3 points at Tech and then split every series but Tech Mankato.....but I expect them to sweep a couple more teams.....

I think the Gophers are definitely on a roll, but not sure if they are going to climb that high in the standings.

That's what I, personally, find fascinating about sitting down and looking at the actual games remaining and assigning points. If you'd just asked me to come up with a ranking without considering the games, I probably would've had UMN a little lower, CC and AA a little higher. However, when I actually had to assign 4 points per game to one team or another for the remaining games, I was a little surprised by my own prediction.

Suprising is the POI bunch almost to a poster has CC finishing first or second, after getting swept by MN and UAA. I'll have to check out how to get CC to first place. Would guess they can't lose more than a game or two the rest of the way.

Suprising is the POI bunch almost to a poster has CC finishing first or second, after getting swept by MN and UAA.

Alot of them also have UW with 11-15 points. Which is odd, considering UW is leading the WCHA with 21 points. :glare:

Didn't notice that; guess they must have used the original site several weeks ago.

um, yah, might want to check the date of the posts, I think alot of them were from EARLY in the summer, the more recent posts have CC a lot lower...

WPoS

4. UMD - Scoring questions.

Well, UMD is second in the country, averaging 4.09 GPG. I think that should answer any questions you may have had. Although...we're still nowehere close to the 5+ GPG averaged by the #1 scoring team...I wonder who that could be?? :glare:

Well, UMD is second in the country, averaging 4.09 GPG. I think that should answer any questions you may have had. Although...we're still nowehere close to the 5+ GPG averaged by the #1 scoring team...I wonder who that could be?? :glare:

If I were picking now, I'd clearly put UMD second. UMD is getting nice contributions from multiple lines.

I'm just really hoping for a Gophers UMD semifinal at the X. It would easily rival the SCSU/Gophers semifinals that were so much fun.

I think with the parity that exists in the WCHA this year it is way to early to be confident about anything. Most teams have around 30 points that they can get and for the top teams those will be 30 hard points to defend. I am willing to bet that there are teams thinking that they will be home first round of the playoffs that might be packing their bags for a road trip. Oh by the way, we could be one of them. Having said that I would say that this is the year that you could easily see two teams from the bottom five in the league playing in St Paul in March. This should be one of the most exciting WCHA playoffs in year and depending on end of season play quite possibly a record amount of teams from the WCHA in the NCAA tourney barring automatic bids.