SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday - UAA at UND

farce poobah

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Denver's tackling of select players (Parise) last year was bad, but this was totally outrageous. UAA didn't target any particular player, they just wrapped up and held anyone close to the net, and were allowed to do it, constantly both games. Way beyond the normal clutch and grab. Is this how UAA was able to beat MN and sweep CC?

It appears UAA is a terrible team, but can't tell from this weekend. What they did hardly requires sticks. Wonder if this is how they beat MN and swept CC? They best have their games at home, where noone has to watch, other than UAA fans. League parity created by officiating, an interesting concept :ohmy:

Very good series by ZP and Murray, they dragged opponents around all weekend and created all kinds of good chances, especially tonight. How many breakaways did Murray have? at least 3. ZP must have had 3-5 good chance in close also. Seldom are they not going to come away with points with those chances.

When UAA plays SCSU next weekend, who decides to hold whom? Could be an interesting dance.

with a sweep by the Gophers (now tied for 5th) of CC this weekend and 'Kato (should be a sweep) next week, I look forward to the measuring stick of the year when we play you guys! This is gonna be one heck of a series. Last years Gopher team had to beat CC to make things happen and this year UND is the one team that the Gophers need to beat/split with to prove they can play anyone. Tough tie for you guys last night, last year I was up at UAA and they do have a tendancy to clutch/grab/hold/slash to stay in a game. As for refs...well flame me all you want, but it has been said plenty of times when people blame refs for a game outcome: Good teams find a way to play through bad reffing. It looked like you guys had the shots on goal, but just could not find the stringy parts...

WPoS

awaiting the flames...

I thought Denver's tackling of select players (Parise) last year was bad, but this was totally outrageous. UAA didn't target any particular player, they just wrapped up and held anyone close to the net, and were allowed to do it, constantly both games. Way beyond the normal clutch and grab. Is this how UAA was able to beat MN and sweep CC?

It appears UAA is a terrible team, but can't tell from this weekend. What they did hardly requires sticks. Wonder if this is how they beat MN and swept CC? They best have their games at home, where noone has to watch, other than UAA fans. League parity created by officiating, an interesting concept :ohmy:

Very good series by ZP and Murray, they dragged opponents around all weekend and created all kinds of good chances, especially tonight. How many breakaways did Murray have? at least 3. ZP must have had 3-5 good chance in close also. Seldom are they not going to come away with points with those chances.

When UAA plays SCSU next weekend, who decides to hold whom? Could be an interesting dance.

A UAA player Bloodied Zach in the corner in the third period and I thought should have warrented a 5-3 power play. The reffing was horrible all weekend UND had to kill off two 5-3 power plays for the weekend. But no Mason set the precedent that he was going to let the top players for UND get mugged by teams like UAA...

Tim Hennesey said that he made the comment that UAA really earned the split and Blaiser responded with no they didn't...

Back to Parise if teams are going to be allowed to hang, slash, pick and interfer on our star players like Zach and Brady and Bochenski some other line is going to have to step it up...

Did UAA have 3 5-3 PP this weekend? I thought there were two on Friday, but I could be wrong. Mason is a joke. I am not going to say that he lost the win for the Sioux, but I will say that it was unbelievable that UAA got away with so much this weekend.

I am impressed w/ Zach, Scott H. asked him on the post game what he thought about all the clutching and grabbing on him and he just said it is part of the game and something he will have to deal with as a top player. I know I am stating the obvious here, but Zach would have so many more points if he was not giving piggy-back rides to the other team all night long without a call.

Anyway, Sioux take 3 of 4 points, move into second place in the WCHA and will most likely keep their number one ranking. Hopefully after a long bus ride to Michigan our boys can get 4 points next weekend against Tech. With Wisconsin playing non-conference games next weekend, the Sioux should take the number one spot in the WCHA.

While I'm glad we "stole" a tie, I think this game was a nice character test for the team. UAA has always been a problem for the best Sioux teams, and it sounded like they "played their game". Officiating, "clutch 'n grab", etc., notwithstanding, the team that scores the most points still wins and it sounds like our shooting wasn't as accurate or crisp as Friday. That said, I think we've served notice to other teams that we have more than one line, and sold pretty solid goaltending this year.

I was content with a tie on Saturday. I was listening to the game on the internet and it didn't sound like the refs were that bad from a listening stand point, BUT I know how Mason is as a ref. He couldn't make a call to 911! I do remember recall UAA being a clingy team.

This is maybe a good thing for the Sioux. The players realize that if you don't play with max effort for both Friday and Saturday nights a mediocre team will hang in there and sneak out a win or tie. It's scary to think that the Blais is disappointed about this game. There is no way I want to be Mich Tech next weekend when Zach, Brady, and Stafford are rested and Blais is not happy. I can't wait!

Go Sioux!

While I'm glad we "stole" a tie, I think this game was a nice character test for the team. UAA has always been a problem for the best Sioux teams, and it sounded like they "played their game". Officiating, "clutch 'n grab", etc., notwithstanding, the team that scores the most points still wins and it sounds like our shooting wasn't as accurate or crisp as Friday. That said, I think we've served notice to other teams that we have more than one line, and sold pretty solid goaltending this year.

Agreed, although the players with the best chances Saturday were none other than Murray and Parise, in spite of the anchors they were forced to drag along behind them.

Watched the game at Senser's. I thought it looked like we played hard but as ScottM said, we didn't pass or shoot as well as we could have. Seemed like we were trying to make a lot of long passes through traffic instead of hitting the easy shorter pass that would have kept the puck moving forward, and that hurt us as those long passes just were not connecting.

AA did a great job of removing the rebounds. AA played hard all night, and I think their effort was equal to the Sioux's. But the penalties that limit the star players must be called. Last night was a farce at times.

Greene needs to sit a game. I'm tired of him, while we're on the PP, crosschecking someone to put us down a couple of guys. Matt, you need to learn when and how better to hit somebody.

Canady looked like he had another good game, especially late when he nearly scored.

I noticed that Blais put Zach and Murray back on a line with Bochenski at the end of the game. Wonder why?

Forecheck, was that you getting a few seconds of fame with 2 minutes left in regulation? Looked like you....

During the 2nd intermission Pat and Jeff interviewed Greg Shepard, supervisor of officials, and Jeff said that he thinks the WCHA has the best officials in the NCAA, I hope he was joking, especially after watching Mason this weekend.

The refs in the WCHA will make it easy for me to not follow college hockey after I graduate. The WCHA does not believe that teams or players should shine, rather they want every team to have an equal chance to win the game regardless of skill or how well a team is playing. If teams were called for mugging UND, UND would win almost every game and many would be blowouts. People would be less likely to want to watch the game, which means there would be less money. The WCHA ONLY cares about money. :ohmy:

The refs in the WCHA will make it easy for me to not follow college hockey after I graduate. The WCHA does not believe that teams or players should shine, rather they want every team to have an equal chance to win the game regardless of skill or how well a team is playing. If teams were called for mugging UND, UND would win almost every game and many would be blowouts. People would be less likely to want to watch the game, which means there would be less money. The WCHA ONLY cares about money. :ohmy:

I think you post sums it up. Apparently the Refs in our league take into consideration that our team is ladden with talent while others aren't Ie a UAA, SCSU, MTU are going to get away with more. Then you get what you mentioned the refs try to even it out...

So it appears from an officals stand point that instead of calling the game like they are supposed to, they called the game with a bias. Which further more means if someone holds one of our players our guys are supposed to just deal with it because they are the more talented team. I think this is Bull S#!T... I think the coachs of the more talented programs need to address this. Meaning Blais needs to chew on the ears of the WCHA head officals.

Last night was some of the most god awful officating I have ever seen at the Ralph...

Watch a NHL game Cluthing and Grabbing is not hockey... People should not confuse tight checking and a good defensive scheme with clutching grabbing. It is not the same thing.

Also next time someone mugs Murray, Stafford, Brandon or Zach one of our guys thats doesn't play as much needs to smash someone and hold these opposing players accountable. What happened a few time was unexceptable.

It sounds strange since UND is among the tops in the nation is scoring, but my biggest fear with this team down the stretch is losing puck-luck. The second half of last season was agonizing. Games where you lose or tie to a team while outshooting them 3 to 1 are some of the most painful to watch.

As for refs...well flame me all you want, but it has been said plenty of times when people blame refs for a game outcome:  Good teams find a way to play through bad reffing.  It looked like you guys had the shots on goal, but just could not find the stringy parts...

WPoS

awaiting the flames...

That's why I try not to complain about the reffing after a tie or loss to clearly inferior team...it just looks like sour grapes. But the complaints on this board are nonetheless valid. We, as fans, need to do more complaining about the mugging after we win so that our complaints are given more legitimacy.

And to say "the good teams find a way to win anyway" is just an excuse for bad reffing. The statement is true to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean the WCHA (and its fans) should put up with bad reffing on a consistent basis. Something needs to be done about the style of play that is permeating this league. The WCHA needs to make a decision on what kind of league they want. With about half of the teams in this league, the mugging that goes on is just brutal.

Goon & Federov... Are you kidding me? Do you actually think that referees at that level are out to "screw" a team, or ref a game a certain way just to keep it interesting? I didn't see the games this weekend, but your idea is way off base. If a ref has a bad weekend he has a bad weekend. To think that the WCHA under the governing body of the NCAA runs their officiating that way is ludricrus. You really gotta get over the refs.

Goon & Federov... Are you kidding me? Do you actually think that referees at that level are out to "screw" a team, or ref a game a certain way just to keep it interesting? I didn't see the games this weekend, but your idea is way off base. If a ref has a bad weekend he has a bad weekend. To think that the WCHA under the governing body of the NCAA runs their officiating that way is ludricrus. You really gotta get over the refs.

Are you saying that refs in the WCHA are totally unbiased and have no opinion about UND? They don't read the stat sheets and they don't talk to other refs about reputations of the players on UND's club?

I beg to differ. Adam told Schneider and Greene that they were "maturing" faster this season. What? You mean, you were TARGETTING Greene because of some of the stupid penalties he took. No, I'm not saying Greene didn't commit any penalties legit or stupid, I'm saying that the refs waited for him to get close to another player before raising their hand. Yes, man, they plainly target certain players in the league.

Now, about UAA, a team that got ROYALLY stomped all of last season comes into the Ralph as a sort of jaded "Cinderella" story of the WCHA this year. Don't you think the refs gave them the benefit of the doubt this weekend? UND is so much better than UAA it's scary. The refs seeminly don't want it to turn into such a rout where the players are demoralized. So all the breaks go the way of either noncalls or simply only calling them for blatent penalties.

Did they cause us to tie yesterday? I may have posted that they did before, but further reflection makes me say they had an indirect effect on the score, but not a direct one.

The refs go out on the ice to enforce rules and protect other players from injuries. In my opinion, they barely did the first and did nothing of the sort on the second.

Are you kidding me? Do you actually think that referees at that level are out to "screw" a team, or ref a game a certain way just to keep it interesting? If a ref has a bad weekend he has a bad weekend. To think that the WCHA under the governing body of the NCAA runs their officiating that way is ludricrus. You really gotta get over the refs.

Did anybody really think that Pete Rose was betting on baseball when he was managing - betting on his OWN team??? Some people perhaps, but not many, at least at first.

I absolutely think refs call games certain ways to keep it interesting, at least at times, how else can you possibly explain the inconsistency in their

performance(s)? Other than the quality being watered down of late, there are few other viable explanations.

You don't think refs are prejudiced against certain teams and certain players? Case in point, Don Adam's attitude toward Mr. Commodore - calling penalties on MC when he wasn't even on the ice, admonishing him for stepping off the blue line during introductions while allowing virtually the entire opposing team to skate around in their zone without warning while UND was being introduced, etc, etc, etc.

Becoming a ref does NOT make one immune from prejudice and bias - people are fallible, but when there are only 28 league games, refs cannot afford to have a bad weekend or bad game - it may only be a game, but there is too much at stake during any particular game.

Would it be acceptable to you if UND or your team of preference was playing in the national championship game and the ref had a "bad" game contributing to your team losing? Would that be acceptable? Would you just kick back and say "oh well?" If so, you are not much of a fan.

NO matter the team you cheer for, the reffing in the WCHA is not at an acceptable level. Until it rises to that level, the refs deserve every bit of criticism they get. When a player has a poor game they don't escape criticism, why should refs?

That being said, as bad as Mason was this weekend, UND escaped with a tie last night because they couldn't bury the puck, which caused me uncomfortable flashbacks to the second half of last season, however, this year's squad is much better so I am not overly concerned.

I'm a ref myself and huge Sioux fan so it's pretty interesting to view things from that perspective. I get upset at games just like the rest of us, but the refs just don't see everything - and that's a part of hockey.

No doubt, players get labeled - even at the highschool level. But to say refs will call a game just to keep it interesting, or that they in a sense cheer for the underdog - that's just not the case. Especially at this level.

Yes I do because the level of Disparity between UND and a good share of the teams in the WCHA, we seen it since UND became a WCHA power again. If you think I am wrong go back and review the tape. The WCHA officials are calling the games to the advantage of the teams facing UND. Its happening. IF they wanted to call the games like they are supposed to the hooking, holding, interference and clutching and grabbing would be called... I think Blaiser had a legitimate concern about the officating this weekend.

Oh by the way TMK, did you watch the game this past weekend? If you didn't you have no Idea what your talking about...

Greene needs to sit a game

I completely disagree. Yes, bad penalty, but the level of his game is so much higher this year that I can handle a few mistakes. Maturity...it does wonders...besides he and Jones are hands down our best pair right now.

I think/hope/pray that Smaby will be able to play out of his defensive slump. He made horrible plays again on Sat.