SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday - UAA at UND

farce poobah

I completely disagree. Yes, bad penalty, but the level of his game is so much higher this year that I can handle a few mistakes. Maturity...it does wonders...besides he and Jones are hands down our best pair right now.

I think/hope/pray that Smaby will be able to play out of his defensive slump. He made horrible plays again on Sat.

I agree about Greene. THat was a bad penalty he took that produced that 5 on 3, but remember, if the officiating was decent, it would have only produced a 5 on 4.

Also remember, they scored with 12 seconds left on the penalty to Smaby, so they did a decent job until AA scored. However, did anyone notice that both Smaby and Greene came out of the box despite 24 seconds being left on Greene's penalty? I thought that, on a 5 on 3 PP, if they score, one player comes out of the box resulting in one man down.

As for Smaby, I'm wondering if he's just under a lot of pressure. I mean, he's rather young jumping in on a team that has far more expectations about defense than offense (not that there are no offensive expectations). He IS going to make mistakes, only defensive mistakes are much more visible than offensive ones. Murray has made mistakes and so has Porter and Bina. Ok, there aren't very many expectations laid on Bina (especially by Federov), but I really think there are heaps of expectations on Smaby. Let him make mistakes, they all make them. Greene made stupid penalties (with some ref help) his freshman year. I think Smaby will return next year a bigger better player, especially (if you can believe it) he sticks next to Schneider and Greene with his footwork. Also, Brad Berry is an ex NHL defenseman and he can help too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also remember, they scored with 12 seconds left on the penalty to Smaby, so they did a decent job until AA scored. However, did anyone notice that both Smaby and Greene came out of the box despite 24 seconds being left on Greene's penalty? I thought that, on a 5 on 3 PP, if they score, one player comes out of the box resulting in one man down.

Didn't show the times on TV, but they said Smaby's time expired before the UAA goal, making it a 5 x 4 goal.

I get upset at games just like the rest of us, but the refs just don't see everything - and that's a part of hockey.

I don't have a problem with the things refs DONT see - they can't possibly see everything. With the speed of the college game and only one ref on the ice the human element plays a big part in the process.

What I do have a problem with is the things the refs DO see and don't call. Historically, at least over recent years, the superstars (Reinprecht, Heatley, Hartigan, Pohl, Panzer, Vanek, Parise, etc) in the WCHA rarely are able to draw penalties despite constant attention, holding, slashing, clutching, tripping, boarding by opponents. If something is a penalty and happens right in front of their eyes it needs to be called no matter who the "victim" is!!!

This past Friday, a few minutes into the game Parise gets slammed into the boards right in front of both Mason and the students. The hit was clearly a penalty, but Mason shakes his head no (at that point it would seem clear that Mason wouldn't be calling much, which would have been fine). Not too long after, Mason puts UND down 5 on 3 on a good call on Prpich, but a horrendous crosscheck call on Greene. It is that type of inconsistency/inadequacy, especially within a game, that is unacceptable and wouldn't be tolerated in most professions or parttime jobs.

I will say that there have been times this season where I thought Sioux fans were too harsh on the officials and criticised them when they didn't really deserve it. I generally try to stay out of those discussions because I know officiating a hockey game is a tough job.

But Saturday's game against UAA was clearly horrid. Zach Parise is sporting stitches on his lower jaw from a very blatant, very obvious high-sticking penalty that was never called. It should have been a 5-minute major. There's absolutely no excuse for penalties of that severity to go uncalled.

At one point in the game, UAA had six men on the ice. Everyone on the Sioux bench could see it. Everyone in the building could see it. Everyone in the building was yelling about it. The penalty was easy to see. Three forwards in a row and three D-men in a row. 3 + 3 = 6. No call. Why?

I lost track of the number of times Sioux players were hooked down or dragged down as they made strong moves toward the net while carrying the puck. It happened several times right in front of Mason. You knew that he saw it and chose not to call it. Why?

Now it's entirely possible that as inefficient as UND's power play was Saturday, the Sioux might not have scored on the man advantage. However, just sending the message that certain types of play wouldn't be tolerated would have led to better opportunities at even strength, which has been UND's bread-and-butter all season long.

Saturday night's game was far from the WCHA's finest moment.

*sigh* I forgot the word "be", at least I can spell 95% of the words in my posts...I see you are still being childish... :ohmy: at least here I am being respectfull and not taking a moniker ripping on the sites fans...people like you give your own team and team's fans a bad name...grow up already and move on. If flaming Gopher fans on a Sioux board makes you feel like a man, well then, I guess more power to you. :p

WPoS

*sigh* I forgot the word "be", at least I can spell 95% of the words in my posts...I see you are still being childish... :ohmy: at least here I am being respectfull and not taking a moniker ripping on the sites fans...people like you give your own team and team's fans a bad name...grow up already and move on. If flaming Gopher fans on a Sioux board makes you feel like a man, well then, I guess more power to you. :p

WPoS

Take a read back through some of your old posts (POI and here) concerning a few typos and spelling infractions I have made and tell me who is flaming who. How is the glass house you live in holding up?

Here's an idea for the two of you- either let it go or take you cat fight to private message or email so the rest of us can continue to enjoy this board.

ok, hey I agree, I will no longer reply to his baiting, as I said before, it is not worth the rest of your guy's (and gal's) time.

WPoS