SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 and beyound

sioux2013

Seems as though we are getting ahead of oursevles on other non-realated topics so I will start one for those discussions. Don't we still have 2 available scholarships to offer for next year and then the year after that we should have 7 to offer and at this point I don't believe we have any committments for these 9 scholarships in the next 2 years. That is a lot of scholarships available and it concerns me we may have to accept bodies and not good quality players to fill this many in such a short time. I agree with alot of posters that next year if all goes well we should no doubt be at the level of Montana and Weber with all the experience and the depth we will have and seriously have a legit shot at the dance. With that being said, I still believe we can do it this year also with the right matchup and healthy bodies and Mr. LUCK on our side. Go Sioux

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think of Dustin Hobaugh next season? I feel like he may be being overlooked by the fans.

With everyone that is in front of him I truly don't see him seeing much action at all next year. He played limited minutes last year for a poor team and averaged around 4 pts/game is all. Maybe the following year when this junior class graduates he may see minutes.

If and when Huff decides to pass the basketball when there are open teammates, this team has a chance to be so much better.

Huff is amazingly talented and athletic. He just needs to become more of a team player.

Huff reminds me a little of Nate Wolters. Noth guys are extremely talented and want the ball all the time. They both have a knack for scoring. But one of the biggest difference which makes Wolters elite is that when he gets double and even triple teams, he will find the open man for a wide open shot. Seems like Huff gets the ball and only sees the rim and blocks everything else out. If he became a better passer, he would be the be a far better player. POY candidate for sure. Jones and the rest of the coaches need to address this. Its been 3 years and it's still an issue!

Huff has shown flashes of some great passing skills in the past. Wolters has an advantage of some great outside shooters along with some guys with great hands that catch the ball and put it up immediately, not fumble around or take a dribble or two. It helps that a couple of their shooters are bigger guys that can draw the defensive post players out of the lane (very similar to what Mitchell was able to do last year). Along with that, they've had a very small and consistent rotation this year, giving the players a much better feel for each other on the floor. Schuler and Anderson have been UND's only fairly consistent outside shooters and it seems our post players hesitate when they get a quick pass.

UND's team needs to overcome the injuries, put it all together and play up to the potential they've shown. Not expecting an upset over Montana or Weber this week, but they have the ability to do so. It would be nice for this team to show what it is capable of a year early, they have the minutes under their belt to do it.

Been saying this for quite some time. More and more teams are collapsing on huff when he drives and he has got to dish. He is no doubt one of thbe best players in this league but for this team to go to the next level he must pass the ball more when he is double and triple teamed cause this will open things up for everyone else. For him to have zero assists in the last 3 games is rediculous with all the attention he draws.

With the roster currently showing 8 juniors, that is going to free up a lot of scholarhip money after next year (though one or two of them could be around for an extra year, Salmonson comes to mind). Think Jones brings in a couple JuCo's to try to balance out the classes and some much needed experience?

With the roster currently showing 8 juniors, that is going to free up a lot of scholarhip money after next year (though one or two of them could be around for an extra year, Salmonson comes to mind). Think Jones brings in a couple JuCo's to try to balance out the classes and some much needed experience?

I'd say that he has to. The cupboard is going to be left pretty bare after the 2013-14 season, aside from Hooker and Benton. To his credit, this year not withstanding, Jones has done a pretty good job with JUCOs. Emmanual Little, Earvin Youmens, and OJ Harrison were all good players that he brought in. Obviously this year didn't work out so well, but the little we did get to see Traylor, he was productive.

I'd say that he has to. The cupboard is going to be left pretty bare after the 2013-14 season, aside from Hooker and Benton. To his credit, this year not withstanding, Jones has done a pretty good job with JUCOs. Emmanual Little, Earvin Youmens, and OJ Harrison were all good players that he brought in. Obviously this year didn't work out so well, but the little we did get to see Traylor, he was productive.

I agree and I'm not even sure this year is a bust either, at least in the grand scheme of things. Traylor was a disappointment only because we got to see half a year out of him. He was averaging 7 and 5 in just under 16 minutes of play when he was on the court. Salmonson shouldn't really count against this year since he didn't play and should have two left years left. Looking strictly at contributions by juco's this year, it wasn't great. But if Salmonson has two productive years and Traylor can get on the floor and contribute for a whole year next year, could end up being OK.

Huff reminds me a little of Nate Wolters. Noth guys are extremely talented and want the ball all the time. They both have a knack for scoring. But one of the biggest difference which makes Wolters elite is that when he gets double and even triple teams, he will find the open man for a wide open shot. Seems like Huff gets the ball and only sees the rim and blocks everything else out. If he became a better passer, he would be the be a far better player. POY candidate for sure. Jones and the rest of the coaches need to address this. Its been 3 years and it's still an issue!

Sad to say but, as long as scorers are rewarded with all the accolades and money (talking about the pros when I say money) there is no incentive to share the ball. As a player you have to want to be a cheerful passer and truly understand the benefit in that. A great player in my opinion is a great scorer who is also a great passer because he makes his teammates better!

Sad to say but, as long as scorers are rewarded with all the accolades and money (talking about the pros when I say money) there is no incentive to share the ball. As a player you have to want to be a cheerful passer and truly understand the benefit in that. A great player in my opinion is a great scorer who is also a great passer because he makes his teammates better!

Excellent point. When I watched NDSU and SDSU play in the championship Walters was amazing passing the ball and yet he scored his points. They mentioned he had 12 assists in the semi's. That is a type of player any team mate would love to have on the court with them.

Just wondering which newcomer/relative newcomer people think will have the biggest impact next year: Nash, Traylor, Hooker, Salmonson or some yet-to-be-signed player? I'm going with Hooker. He is averaging over 23 ppg, and led his team to a state tournament berth last night. I think he could have a pretty big impact while backing up Anderson and/or Webb.

Just wondering which newcomer/relative newcomer people think will have the biggest impact next year: Nash, Traylor, Hooker, Salmonson or some yet-to-be-signed player? I'm going with Hooker. He is averaging over 23 ppg, and led his team to a state tournament berth last night. I think he could have a pretty big impact while backing up Anderson and/or Webb.

I have to go with Nash, he has experience playing against better competition and I think will be playing with a chip on his shoulder.

I have to go with Nash, he has experience playing against better competition and I think will be playing with a chip on his shoulder.

I definitely think Nash will have an impact, but what concerns me is his lack of bulk, and the fact that he's never really been a big rebounder at any level. He has some height, and apparently tremendous leaping ability, but hopefully he can put on 10-15 pounds or more in the off season because at 185 I'm not sure he'll be able to withstand physical play in the paint for 20-30 minutes every game.

Very nice backcourt options moving into next year: Anderson/Webb, Schuler/Hooker?, Antwi/Benton.

And then hopefully our front court replacements will be an upgrade with Nash, Salmonson and Traylor in and Allard, Archer and Wilmer out. God bless those seniors for what they've done for us. Wilmer will be a great loss given his play of late.

Finally, you'd think that the staff is making a concerted effort to get Traylor the help he needs in the classroom. I mean, if Beasley could do it, there's gotta be a way for anyone.

I'm going with Hooker. I think next year he gets valuable playing time at the 1 and 2. If we can somewhat follow what SDSU did with Wolters and surround him with a couple bigs but more importantly some shooters, he seems like the type of player who could be ready to carry a team his sophmore-senior year. I'm excited to get him on campus.

I think Traylor will have the biggest impact next season. At least we saw enough of him that we know he is capable of contributing. I think if he and Brekke are available for an entire season, it would do wonders. It is rare to have two offensively skilled post players at this level.