SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 and beyound

sioux2013

I am very excited for Hooker to be on this team but I am nervous to see the talent surrounding him his sophomore-senior season.

Don't be surprised if Jones and company raid Minnesota a lot next year for recruits, especially the cities, the class of 2014 is loaded with talent and could be even better then the 2009 class. There will be a lot of players that end up at D-1 schools in the 2014 class.

Don't be surprised if Jones and company raid Minnesota a lot next year for recruits, especially the cities, the class of 2014 is loaded with talent and could be even better then the 2009 class. There will be a lot of players that end up at D-1 schools in the 2014 class.

Hopefully, do you know who could be on our radar?

There are some very good prospects even beyond the big 3 but from what I have been hearing it sounds like many of them are more BCS type guys and there isn't a whole lot of guys projecting at the mid-major level and some that have been projected at that level are starting to rise as well and may end up at BCS schools too.

I'm going with Hooker. I think next year he gets valuable playing time at the 1 and 2. If we can somewhat follow what SDSU did with Wolters and surround him with a couple bigs but more importantly some shooters, he seems like the type of player who could be ready to carry a team his sophmore-senior year. I'm excited to get him on campus.

Next year brings a new set of problems Jones has not had in several years. Our talented junior class will be seniors with a ton on points/minutes/experience and you now have Salmonson, Nash, Traylor, Benton and possibly Hooker. I don't see where Hooker will get minutes because Webb and Anderson play around 34-35 minutes a game and then you will have Schuler, Antwi, and Benton also as guards. I'm sure they move Schuler off the 4 and back to the 2 like he started his freshman year and also Benton back to a guard position. I would see Webb and Anderson starting the 1/2 with Schuler the first one off the bench which is the way this season started. Huff at the 3 with Nash as backup and or Nash at the 4 and Traylor as backup. Brekke and Salmonson at the 5. Schuler may also spell time at the 3 if Nash moves to the 4. Just don't see where Hooker is going to get enough minutes to justify playing him and not red-shirting him. Plus we still have 2 scholarships to offer for next year.

Next year brings a new set of problems Jones has not had in several years. Our talented junior class will be seniors with a ton on points/minutes/experience and you now have Salmonson, Nash, Traylor, Benton and possibly Hooker. I don't see where Hooker will get minutes because Webb and Anderson play around 34-35 minutes a game and then you will have Schuler, Antwi, and Benton also as guards. I'm sure they move Schuler off the 4 and back to the 2 like he started his freshman year and also Benton back to a guard position. I would see Webb and Anderson starting the 1/2 with Schuler the first one off the bench which is the way this season started. Huff at the 3 with Nash as backup and or Nash at the 4 and Traylor as backup. Brekke and Salmonson at the 5. Schuler may also spell time at the 3 if Nash moves to the 4. Just don't see where Hooker is going to get enough minutes to justify playing him and not red-shirting him. Plus we still have 2 scholarships to offer for next year.

To be perfectly frank, if Hooker isn't good enough to supplant a couple of the current bench players, then he's probably not as good as advertised. And I believe he is as good as advertised. The best players will play, regardless of age or seniority.

• Upvote 1

To be perfectly frank, if Hooker isn't good enough to supplant a couple of the current bench players, then he's probably not as good as advertised. And I believe he is as good as advertised. The best players will play, regardless of age or seniority.

Agree best players will play regardless but what I am saying is there won't be that many minutes with Anderson, Webb, Schuler and Antwi cause I believe all will get minutes and then add Hooker. Many players score big time in high school and not so much in college. Hope Hooker is as advertised but a red shirt may be the best with all that is coming back. We proved last night our guards are good enough to beat the best, what hurt us last night was down low in the blocks. I believe that will be solved next year with Nash and Traylor at the 4. I just don't see Hooker getting enough minutes will all the seniors to validate using one of his 4 years.

Agree best players will play regardless but what I am saying is there won't be that many minutes with Anderson, Webb, Schuler and Antwi cause I believe all will get minutes and then add Hooker. Many players score big time in high school and not so much in college. Hope Hooker is as advertised but a red shirt may be the best with all that is coming back. We proved last night our guards are good enough to beat the best, what hurt us last night was down low in the blocks. I believe that will be solved next year with Nash and Traylor at the 4. I just don't see Hooker getting enough minutes will all the seniors to validate using one of his 4 years.

I don't know if we get Hooker to commit to UND with having around 15 offers by telling him he'll redshirt. If he is a capable shooting/point guard Webb and Anderson will not need to play 35 minutes a game.

I don't know if we get Hooker to commit to UND with having around 15 offers by telling him he'll redshirt. If he is a capable shooting/point guard Webb and Anderson will not need to play 35 minutes a game.

Totally agree. Last night was probably the biggest game UND has played in years, and with so much on the line Anderson and Webb played 36 and 39 minutes, respectively. Antwi only played 7, and Benton 6. What that tells me is that while Antwi and Benton were certainly valuable contributors during the season, in a one-and-done situation Jones wasn't willing to give them a lot of time. With Hooker, I think he potentially provides that third option at guard, and Anderson and Webb won't need to log quite so many minutes, which will hopefully make them even more effective.

Thinking of next year, its not too hard to not think of next years schedule and think who could potentially be on it.

20 Big Sky games

Home non-conference

NDSU

SDSU

UNO? (if they make up their bracketbuster return here instead of 14-15)

Road non-conference

@ Bowling Green

So if this holds, it would leave about 6-8 openings on the non-conference schedule, what would be your wish list of teams?

Thinking of next year, its not too hard to not think of next years schedule and think who could potentially be on it.

20 Big Sky games

Home non-conference

NDSU

SDSU

UNO? (if they make up their bracketbuster return here instead of 14-15)

Road non-conference

@ Bowling Green

So if this holds, it would leave about 6-8 openings on the non-conference schedule, what would be your wish list of teams?

South Dakota @ home

Iowa ( big ten $$$$$)

Oregon or Oregon State ( Pac10 $$$$)

Northern Iowa @ home

tournament in Hawaii or Carribean Islands

South Dakota @ home

Iowa ( big ten $$$$$)

Oregon or Oregon State ( Pac10 $$$$)

Northern Iowa @ home

tournament in Hawaii or Carribean Islands

Speculation, or inside knowledge?

Having NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UNI all at home in addition to the Big Sky schedule would make for about the most exciting home schedule for basketball in decades.

I wondered if the UNI and SDSU games were a one time deal or part of home-and-home. Assumed SDSU was home-and-home but questioned UNI.

Speculation, or inside knowledge?

Having NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UNI all at home in addition to the Big Sky schedule would make for about the most exciting home schedule for basketball in decades.

I wondered if the UNI and SDSU games were a one time deal or part of home-and-home. Assumed SDSU was home-and-home but questioned UNI.

SW asked for a wish list. That was my wish list and nothing more. Have no idea what the schedule will look like aside from NDSU, SDSU and Bowing Green and of course the Big Sky.

SW asked for a wish list. That was my wish list and nothing more. Have no idea what the schedule will look like aside from NDSU, SDSU and Bowing Green and of course the Big Sky.

Damn, you got my hopes up! I would like to get a road game with USD going next season. Would be great to have at least one Dakota school in the Sioux Center each year.........

Here's my non-conference wish list for next year (including games we already know about)

vs NDSU

vs SDSU

vs Omaha

vs Denver/USD/Great West team/Green Bay/Milwaukee

@ Bowling Green

@ UMKC (assuming we have a return trip)

@ Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa

@ MWC or MVC team (Creighton, UNI, SDSU, Wyoming, New Mexico, Wichita St)

@ Big 12 team (Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa St, Texas)

@ Denver/USD/Green Bay/Milwaukee

Pick and choose from that list and we've got one hell of a schedule. My reasoning on having a Great West team at home is that I'd much rather see Utah Valley or Houston Baptist over Presentation or Crown again. I despise those games especially when you're jumping between teams like that and Kansas State and NDSU/SDSU and then jumping into conference play.