SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-14 Schedule

bincitysioux

Tentative 2013-14 schedule

I hate the NCHC. Actually, I hate Big Ten Hockey. This schedule is weak sauce to a casual fan like me. Can't even count on two series with Denver. I assumed with only 8 teams the schedule would be balanced. And I thought we signed a semi-long term agreement with Wisconsin. When does that start? Obviously not next season.

This was posted in the 2012-13 season thread, but I agree that it needs its own thread.

I believe the Wisconsin series resumes in the 2014-15 season with a road series in Madison, then in Grand Forks the following season.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you. This is a very poor schedule for the casual fan. Sure, many hard core hockey fans on this board will say we're overreacting and will point to the current PWR of next year's opponents and say it isn't as bad as it looks. There will be talk about strength of schedule and how this won't be that bad compared to how the SOS of the Big Ten teams will look, etc. That nuts-and-bolts type of talk may all be true, but to the casual fan (or to the average incoming freshman), there are no big names on the home schedule to get real excited about. I have a broader concern than how this schedule might help or hurt UND make the playoffs next season.

I was surprised to see only a 24-game conference schedule. I just assumed that with only 8 teams, everyone would have two series against everyone. I suppose the theory for a school like UND is that it would eventually like to get a series with Minnesota and Wisconsin every year, and that's four OOC games right there. If there were a 28-game conference schedule, there wouldn't be much room for other games if UND plays Minnesota and Wisconsin every year. The problem with that theory is that I don't believe UND will ever arrange an annual series with Minnesota. I think Minnesota might schedule UND once in a while, but it will not be an annual series. For that reason, I would have preferred a 28-game conference schedule.

As someone else mentioned in the other thread, if the NCHC hadn't added St. Cloud, you could play every team two series with a 24-game conference schedule. That would have been preferable to this.

It appears that UNO is UND's "rival" which is rather disappointing. If we had to go with the 24-game "rival" scheduling system, I would have preferred Duluth as UND's rival.

I think 2013-14 is a very important year for UND. The biggest threat to UND hockey right now is that it will start to look second-rate in its new conference. The schedule in the first year out of the gate doesn't do much to comfort me on that issue.

• Upvote 2

This was posted in the 2012-13 season thread, but I agree that it needs its own thread.

I believe the Wisconsin series resumes in the 2014-15 season with a road series in Madison, then in Grand Forks the following season.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you. This is a very poor schedule for the casual fan. Sure, many hard core hockey fans on this board will say we're overreacting and will point to the current PWR of next year's opponents and say it isn't as bad as it looks. There will be talk about strength of schedule and how this won't be that bad compared to how the SOS of the Big Ten teams will look, etc. That nuts-and-bolts type of talk may all be true, but to the casual fan (or to the average incoming freshman), there are no big names on the home schedule to get real excited about. I have a broader concern than how this schedule might help or hurt UND make the playoffs next season.

I was surprised to see only a 24-game conference schedule. I just assumed that with only 8 teams, everyone would have two series against everyone. I suppose the theory for a school like UND is that it would eventually like to get a series with Minnesota and Wisconsin every year, and that's four OOC games right there. If there were a 28-game conference schedule, there wouldn't be much room for other games if UND plays Minnesota and Wisconsin every year. The problem with that theory is that I don't believe UND will ever arrange an annual series with Minnesota. I think Minnesota might schedule UND once in a while, but it will not be an annual series. For that reason, I would have preferred a 28-game conference schedule.

As someone else mentioned in the other thread, if the NCHC hadn't added St. Cloud, you could play every team two series with a 24-game conference schedule. That would have been preferable to this.

It appears that UNO is UND's "rival" which is rather disappointing. If we had to go with the 24-game "rival" scheduling system, I would have preferred Duluth as UND's rival.

I think 2013-14 is a very important year for UND. The biggest threat to UND hockey right now is that it will start to look second-rate in its new conference. The schedule in the first year out of the gate doesn't do much to comfort me on that issue.

UNO was the only "rival" that would work for UND. You are obviously going to put the Denver schools together. And Miami and Western Mich is a no brainer as well. With the schools left, I suppose they figured they would keep the Minnesota schools together. So that leaves us UNO. After traveling to Omaha 2 weeks ago, it is a pretty good road trip. I think it will be a good rival.

I would hope they are going to balance the schedul out so we would rotate evenly the teams we don't play twice. Which would mean the next time we don't play Denver twice would be in 2016-2017. And the series will probably be in GF. If they do it right, the next time we don't see Denver in GF would not be till the 2019-2020 season.

I like the fact that the league allowed for several OOC games. Gives a chance to play Minnesota, Wisconsin, and another local Minnesota school like Bemidgi or Mankato. It sucks not playing the Gophers and Badgers twice every year at home. But it is not like we will never see them again at the Ralph.

UNO was the only "rival" that would work for UND. You are obviously going to put the Denver schools together. And Miami and Western Mich is a no brainer as well. With the schools left, I suppose they figured they would keep the Minnesota schools together. So that leaves us UNO. After traveling to Omaha 2 weeks ago, it is a pretty good road trip. I think it will be a good rival.

I agree that was thinking behind it. I just don't agree that the Minnesota schools absolutely had to be paired together. There is more history between UND and Duluth than St. Cloud and Duluth. I was in Omaha and agree that it was a great trip. And I actually think Omaha has a great set-up with the Century Link Center/downtown/hotel area. However, are that many UND fans going to travel to Omaha without the outdoor game? It's a long drive from any location that has a concentration of UND fans. And there is absolutely no history between these teams in hockey. I'm not sure if they even played each other before 2010.

I would hope they are going to balance the schedul out so we would rotate evenly the teams we don't play twice. Which would mean the next time we don't play Denver twice would be in 2016-2017. And the series will probably be in GF. If they do it right, the next time we don't see Denver in GF would not be till the 2019-2020 season.

Assuming they balance out the schedule (which I think is a safe assumption), I believe your math is correct. With a 24-game rival scheduling system, UND will play every non-rival team four times two out of every three years, which means each non-rival team will skip the trip to Grand Forks once out of every six years. It's just too bad Denver had to be the first one right out of the gate.

I like the fact that the league allowed for several OOC games. Gives a chance to play Minnesota, Wisconsin, and another local Minnesota school like Bemidgi or Mankato. It sucks not playing the Gophers and Badgers twice every year at home. But it is not like we will never see them again at the Ralph.

Agree to disagree on this. I'd rather see a complete NCHC schedule than more games with Bemidji or Northern Michigan (or most other WCHA teams).

I'd rather see a complete NCHC schedule than more games with Bemidji or Northern Michigan (or most other WCHA teams).

I agree with this. At least a full NCHC schedule provides four games each year against Dever and CC, and those two schools are the most appealing NCHC schools, to me anyways, outside of UND. I know all about Lucia's blockage of the Gopher series, but I assumed that with the Big Ten only having 6 teams there would be a good chance that there would be at least one Big Ten school on the schedule every year. Even a crappy school like Ohio St. or Penn St. would be more intriguing to the casual observer like me than most WCHA schools. Even though most WCHA schools probably would benefit UND more in the Pairwise and such.

Is the BU game a return trip for an earlier game, or the start of a new contract?

I agree with this. At least a full NCHC schedule provides four games each year against Dever and CC, and those two schools are the most appealing NCHC schools, to me anyways, outside of UND. I know all about Lucia's blockage of the Gopher series, but I assumed that with the Big Ten only having 6 teams there would be a good chance that there would be at least one Big Ten school on the schedule every year. Even a crappy school like Ohio St. or Penn St. would be more intriguing to the casual observer like me than most WCHA schools. Even though most WCHA schools probably would benefit UND more in the Pairwise and such.

Is the BU game a return trip for an earlier game, or the start of a new contract?

I would assume it's a return trip for the series with them in Grand Forks this season.

I agree that was thinking behind it. I just don't agree that the Minnesota schools absolutely had to be paired together. There is more history between UND and Duluth than St. Cloud and Duluth. I was in Omaha and agree that it was a great trip. And I actually think Omaha has a great set-up with the Century Link Center/downtown/hotel area. However, are that many UND fans going to travel to Omaha without the outdoor game? It's a long drive from any location that has a concentration of UND fans. And there is absolutely no history between these teams in hockey. I'm not sure if they even played each other before 2010.

To this point, I actually do think that people will travel for this series. It's about 5 hours from Minneapolis and an easy drive through Iowa and I think it gives UND Colorado Alumni a chance to make a trip too. I'm not saying it will be like it was a couple weekends ago but I believe the turnout will still be solid.

• Upvote 1

UND, DU are the two "marquee programs" in the NCHC. Do you think that they agreed to not play each other twice the first year so that they can play the other schools in order to bolster the schedules for those schools? Perhaps try to get the "smaller" programs in the conference excited about the NCHC? Just a thought...

To this point, I actually do think that people will travel for this series. It's about 5 hours from Minneapolis and an easy drive through Iowa and I think it gives UND Colorado Alumni a chance to make a trip too. I'm not saying it will be like it was a couple weekends ago but I believe the turnout will still be solid.

I think it has the potential to grow into a good rivalry as well. UND fans travel well to Madison which is a little bit further from GF. MSP may be a bit closer to Madison than Omaha, but not too much. It helps that UNO is going DI with all their sports. Miami and possibly WMU will potentially turn into fun games as well due to their style of play and being DI schools. It will definitely take a few years...but will evenutally get there I believe.

UND, DU are the two "marquee programs" in the NCHC. Do you think that they agreed to not play each other twice the first year so that they can play the other schools in order to bolster the schedules for those schools? Perhaps try to get the "smaller" programs in the conference excited about the NCHC? Just a thought...

I am sure it wasn't just a coincidence that UND and Denver only play 2 games next year. Everything done for a reason. Your theory might be right.

I don't know why everyone is complaining so much, of course we're going lose games like Wisc and Minn on our schedule. Ironically a lot of people were concerned that if we didn't drop the Sioux name "big" schools would refuse to play us.........

I actually like this schedule although not having Denver at home is annoying. But look at the fresh teams that we see next year Northern Michigan and Western Mich (solid team and will be dangerous), St Lawerence (one of the better teams in there conference), Miami (good year in and year out since late 2000s), and Vermont/BU (love having 2 series against HE teams).

It's refreshing to have a schedule like we have coming up, we still play Duluth, SCSU, Den, and CC, so its really not the end of the world. In fact I feel that our schedule next year is nearly harder than this year. We don't have cupcake series like UAA, MT, and Holy Cross.

The HCNC is a solid conference up and down, its not going be easy winning it. The scheduling now opens it up national to play whomever, whereever in years to come. The Big Ten Conference destroyed rivalries (as does most conference relignment $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) but the Sioux will come out of it stronger and more defined.

• Upvote 1

They have it backwards. The two marquee programs should be playing each other twice so the NBC Network gets more attractive games in the first season and higher ratings and kick off the contract to a good start. It will take a while to warm up to W. Michigan (unlike Miami), but over time (playoff matchups) that will come. So why not wait a year for a dual series? So why are only getting Denver and Colorado College once? Those are the two programs that have been in this together forever. One series in Colorado in a season for the first time ever. Ridiculous again for our alumni there. Everything that his new league is doing ends up shafting UND.

Bet the longer-term scheduling also has us playing both SCSU and Duluth only once every third year. That means that Twin Cities fans will have a real tough time getting tickets at a reasonable distance for that season for the one local series. They should have at least mixed up geographically the teams that we don't play two series with. When that happens, UM or Mankato better be on the away schedule. Or even offer one of the Mankato games to be played in Target or Excel for a UND home game like Minnesota does with Mankato.

Colorado College and Denver shouldn't both have one series with UND in the same year.

Miami and WMU both shouldn't have one series with UND in the same year.

SCSU and UMD both shouldn't have one series with UND in the same year.

They have it backwards. The two marquee programs should be playing each other twice so the NBC Network gets more attractive games in the first season and higher ratings. It will take a while to warm up to W. Michigan (unlike Miami), but over time (playoff matchups) that will come. So why not wait a year for a dual series? So why are only getting Denver and Colorado College once? Those are the two programs that have been in this together forever. One series in Colorado in a season for the first time ever. Ridiculous again for our alumni there. Everything that his new league is doing ends up shafting UND.

I agree that playing western michigan twice is really not exciting and having Omaha as a "rival" is downright funny. I've always found it funny when conferences assign rivals, seriously? Rivals are made by playing tough passionate games over years.

That being said, UND was "getting the shaft" in the WCHA as well though. A couple years we only played Minnesota once and were assigned SCSU as a rival (which I like the growing rivalry, but SCSU really?). The WCHA scheduling was just as frustrating.

I LOVE our non conference schedule, its the best we've had in years.

• 1 month later...

UND officially released its 2013-14 schedule. According to Schlossman there may be a couple exhibition games in British Columbia still in the works.

That link also contains a composite schedule for the NCHC.

that just confirms there are no cupcakes, the last four weeks, miami, duluth st cloud and western michigan. better have our big boy pants on come february.

• 3 months later...

woohoo. I'm sorry but who cares about two exhbition games versus canadian schools.

People who live in the northwest who aren't able to make it to a lot of road games. There are a lot of Sioux fans in Oregon and Washington who were very excited when it was announced UND was likely to play in BC.

woohoo. I'm sorry but who cares about two exhbition games versus canadian schools.

No need to be rude. I was passing along the information for those who might be interested in attending, and this fills in a piece of the schedule.

There are a few BC natives on the team and I bet they are quite excited to play a couple games close to family and friends.

• Upvote 2

No need to be rude. I was passing along the information for those who might be interested in attending, and this fills in a piece of the schedule.

There are a few BC natives on the team and I bet they are quite excited to play a couple games close to family and friends.

I apologize, I wasn't directing it at you, I was directing it at the exhibition games. it is just me but I am not a fan of games that don't count.

• Upvote 1