SiouxSports.com Forum

Greatest UND freshman class ever.

geaux_sioux

The only other year I can think of would be the 1977-78 class with guys like Smail, Chorney, Christian, and probably another two good 'uns I'm forgetting. There were some great players that joined the program in the late 70s, spread out over a few years.

The individual accomplishments of that 05-06 class are tremendous, but does a lack of title diminish that?

The only other year I can think of would be the 1977-78 class with guys like Smail, Chorney, Christian, and probably another two good 'uns I'm forgetting. There were some great players that joined the program in the late 70s, spread out over a few years.

The individual accomplishments of that 05-06 class are tremendous, but does a lack of title diminish that?

Of course it does. They were absolutely stacked and couldn't get it done. I thought they were a better team than the '10 team that also blew it.

Of course it does. They were absolutely stacked and couldn't get it done. I thought they were a better team than the '10 team that also blew it.

Well, if you count the entire team, yeah, 2005-06 was loaded. Don't forget that Duncan was in that class too.

next year's class sure has some potential. johnson, tambellini, ladue, murphy could all contribute as freshman.

They're going to have to! Team will no longer have a sniper in Kristo, a great two forward in Knight, and a physical defensemen in Macwilliam.

Scoring goals at the beginning of next year could become a problem.

The current team as of now has a hard time scoring goals if your name isn't Corban, Danny, or Rocco.

They're going to have to! Team will no longer have a sniper in Kristo, a great two forward in Knight, and a physical defensemen in Macwilliam.

The current team as of now has a hard time scoring goals if your name isn't Corban, Danny, or Rocco.

Honestly I almost always wonder how they're going to replace the production of player a or player b from one year to the next and usually someone steps up.

I actually think that Rocco isn't going to really shine until he is the number one threat and needs the next off season to build as much strength as possible and refine the finishing of goals.

Double edge sword though as soon as he masters His finish and starts piling up goals Florida.....i mean Quebec.....i mean...Markam ......wherever ...is going to want him in the AHL to develop there.

Rocco 2014 hobey hat trick finalist.......

The 1996-97 class will always have a special place in my heart. Two NCAA titles, three WCHA regular season titles, two WCHA playoff titles and a bunch of all-WCHA and all-American selections. And it included two Minnesota players (Peter Armbrust, Brad DeFauw) whom Gopher fans insisted over and over that their team never really wanted anyway! :silly::lol: They were the first two kids Blais stole out from under the nose of the Wooger and they added a physical presence that the team needed at the time.

And please, no more emphasis on how many players reached the freaking NHL! I think the standard should focus on what they accomplished as a group in college hockey.

• Upvote 1

The 1996-97 class will always have a special place in my heart. Two NCAA titles, three WCHA regular season titles, two WCHA playoff titles and a bunch of all-WCHA and all-American selections. And it included two Minnesota players (Peter Armbrust, Brad DeFauw) whom Gopher fans insisted over and over that their team never really wanted anyway! :silly::lol: They were the first two kids Blais stole out from under the nose of the Wooger and they added a physical presence that the team needed at the time.

And please, no more emphasis on how many players reached the freaking NHL! I think the standard should focus on what they accomplished as a group in college hockey.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Two favorite Sioux moments: Peter Armbrust putting in the rebound OT winner in the '97 Final Five and Brad DeFauw absolutely blowing up a Boston U player with a check in the national championship game a few weeks later in Milwaukee.

THE BEST TEAM WON!

• Upvote 1

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Two favorite Sioux moments: Peter Armbrust putting in the rebound OT winner in the '97 Final Five and Brad DeFauw absolutely blowing up a Boston U player with a check in the national championship game a few weeks later in Milwaukee.

THE BEST TEAM WON!

A picture of the DeFauw hit is hanging in REA on the wall in the stairwell on the third level, just outside Section 306. I love looking at it everytime I take the stairs down.

If you are going to base the class grade on their team success, it would be tough to beat the 1978-1979 class. National title games in their freshman, sophomore and senior years, with titles in 1980 and 1982.

Kevin Maxwell

Cary Eades

Paul Chadwick

Howard Walker

Marc Chorney

Phil Sykes

Frank Burggraf

Travis Dunn

Conway Marvin

Mel Donnelly

Bob Iwabuchi

Not the "sexy" names of some of the other classes, but hard to argue with their success.

• Upvote 1

If you are going to base the class grade on their team success, it would be tough to beat the 1978-1979 class. National title games in their freshman, sophomore and senior years, with titles in 1980 and 1982.

Kevin Maxwell

Cary Eades

Paul Chadwick

Howard Walker

Marc Chorney

Phil Sykes

Frank Burggraf

Travis Dunn

Conway Marvin

Mel Donnelly

Bob Iwabuchi

Not the "sexy" names of some of the other classes, but hard to argue with their success.

How many of them were around for the 82 title game?