SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. ST. CLOUD - Saturday

AZSIOUX

I think Berry coached the group back with Schneider, Greene, Fuher, Jones, etc. They were tough and defensively responsible then. I doubt Berry forgot how to do that.

But do you really think this group of D-men are built the same way those were? Even a big guy like Forbort never has been a physical player.

I'm not a coach but I think you have to tailor your style to the type of players that you have, not try to force them into a system that's not conducive to their skills.

Fair enough but whatever the system Berry is coaching isn't working with these Dman...it's pretty obvious.

I think Berry coached the group back with Schneider, Greene, Fuher, Jones, etc. They were tough and defensively responsible then. I doubt Berry forgot how to do that.

But do you really think this group of D-men are built the same way those were? Even a big guy like Forbort never has been a physical player.

I'm not a coach but I think you have to tailor your style to the type of players that you have, not try to force them into a system that's not conducive to their skills.

I agree with you here for the most part, but it even seems like the grit and toughness has been squeezed out of MacWilliam, too. He even said as much himself when he noted in a recent press conference that hockey is different and that he can't make the big hit any more.

Last year we had pretty much the same core of D, and they were much more responsible in their own end than they have shown this year. Yes, they had Ben Blood and he logged a ton of minutes, but it's not like we haven't had to deal with graduations before.

I doubt Berry has forgotten how he coached that '05 group, but has HE changed since then?

I have a feeling rocco stays on the top line for at least this friday and the RPM line stays toegther as well. as for mr. mitch I think he is in and out of the lineup from here on out probably splitting time with chyzyk.

Chyzyk is a way better offensive and 2 way player IMO. He should be in the lineup most nights. He has size, can skate and has some grit to him.

It was said that Steve Young couldn't win the bid one. Like you said he threw 6 tds in a Super Bowl victory. It was said the Rangers were cursed and would never win until Messier led them to the promised land in 94. Never compared them to Sir Charles, he's just an example of a great player that neve won a championship.

Ok now that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I agree with you here for the most part, but it even seems like the grit and toughness has been squeezed out of MacWilliam, too. He even said as much himself when he noted in a recent press conference that hockey is different and that he can't make the big hit any more.

St. Clair destroyed a Clown on Saturday in the corner in the context of the play and game. Mac has a history of trying to make big hits just to make a big hit. If it's in the flow of the game those get overlooked more than just trying to find a hit for the sake of making a big hit.

Last year we had pretty much the same core of D, and they were much more responsible in their own end than they have shown this year. Yes, they had Ben Blood and he logged a ton of minutes, but it's not like we haven't had to deal with graduations before.

I doubt Berry has forgotten how he coached that '05 group, but has HE changed since then?

Now that this is brought up, how many checking from behind penalties or boarding penalties have we taken this year. Blood would make the check and sometimes he paid for it. But the big hits would also serve a purpose in letting them know that they can't have free reign behind the net. The D this year hasn't had a bunch of these penalties, but they also haven't been clearing out the players in front and behind the net.

St. Clair destroyed a Clown on Saturday in the corner in the context of the play and game. Mac has a history of trying to make big hits just to make a big hit. If it's in the flow of the game those get overlooked more than just trying to find a hit for the sake of making a big hit.

Johnson stayed down and out for most of the game after this hit. He got lit up, but it was legal. As a matter of fact, I saw him go talk to the refs after the game. I guarantee he was asking why that wasn't a penalty, but it was a clean hit.

Agree that the Sioux have much better options than Mitch (at least from what I've seen). Once we get the defensmen to start playing, we're going to be a contender. I just hope it isn't too late.

That was Taylor Johnson #4, a bigtime yapper. In the handshake line, they had an exchange. Looked to me like one of them held on to the other's hand real tight and then they ripped their hands apart. You can catch it in on the Midco broadcast.

That was Taylor Johnson #4, a bigtime yapper. In the handshake line, they had an exchange. Looked to me like one of them held on to the other's hand real tight and then they ripped their hands apart. You can catch it in on the Midco broadcast.

Well Mr. Yappy got introduced to the way hockey is supposed to be played and then tried something in the lines.

College hockey is different. You used to be able to make a big hit, but now guys will lay on the ice and grab their head after every big hit. (Especially when they are playing against the dirty Sioux.)

The case of McWilliam is the most glaring example. The WCHA officiating cabal doesn't like him at all.

Our D's issues have come from losing players in coverage and not being able to get the puck out of our zone to spend time at the other end of the rink.

Huge improvement from Fri to Sat re zone time, which leads to fewer coverage issues in our end.

Mac will benefit from playing with Simpson. Mattson has been bad with the puck and worse without it this year. He needs to simplify or his minutes will be reduced/gone.

We also need some goals!!

Our D's issues have come from losing players in coverage and not being able to get the puck out of our zone to spend time at the other end of the rink.

Huge improvement from Fri to Sat re zone time, which leads to fewer coverage issues in our end.

Mac will benefit from playing with Simpson. Mattson has been bad with the puck and worse without it this year. He needs to simplify or his minutes will be reduced/gone.

We also need some goals!!

Very rare to we see goal from our d men. Simpson comes in here and there but besides dillon I don't see much if at all. I think he and Mac are by far the two best we have being responsible. Forbort can be very good at times as well but you're dead on when we aren't getting much on either end from the blue liners.

• Upvote 1

Very rare to we see goal from our d men. Simpson comes in here and there but besides dillon I don't see much if at all. I think he and Mac are by far the two best we have being responsible. Forbort can be very good at times as well but you're dead on when we aren't getting much on either end from the blue liners.

exactly, when the opposing team's d has the puck at the point in our zone I am always fearful of a shot fromt he point going in as for some reason we let a ton of those go in. as opposed to when our d has the puck at the point in their zone I'm always thinking blocked shot or just a shot into their legs.

Fair enough but whatever the system Berry is coaching isn't working with these Dman...it's pretty obvious.

Yes, it's probably fair, then, to ask if the system these guys are being asked to play fits their abilities. I don't know the answer to that, but I've got faith that Berry is the right man for the job and am confident that will come around.

The toughness would have been squeezed out of MacWilliam by the new rules and the officiating of those rules, not by UND's coaches. But, again, I understand your point about Berry. I'll still stand by Berry and am confident in the end we'll be happy with the results regardless of whatever is the reason for some of the current issues.

Yes, it's probably fair, then, to ask if the system these guys are being asked to play fits their abilities. I don't know the answer to that, but I've got faith that Berry is the right man for the job and am confident that will come around.

The toughness would have been squeezed out of MacWilliam by the new rules and the officiating of those rules, not by UND's coaches. But, again, I understand your point about Berry. I'll still stand by Berry and am confident in the end we'll be happy with the results regardless of whatever is the reason for some of the current issues.

"Come around" and "in the end"...care to elaborate on your suspected time frame? We are 2/3rds thru the regular season. Not to be greedy but I was expecting it to "come around" quite awhile ago.

• Upvote 2

"Come around" and "in the end"...care to elaborate on your suspected time frame? We are 2/3rds thru the regular season. Not to be greedy but I was expecting it to "come around" quite awhile ago.

Couldn't agree more - I am not doubting Berry's credentials at all. It's just that with 6 returners with experience and a #1 draft pick we should be a hell of a lot better. Same mistakes game after game. Clearing the back side and the front of the net is just basics, not some strange new system.

Couldn't agree more - I am not doubting Berry's credentials at all. It's just that with 6 returners with experience and a #1 draft pick we should be a hell of a lot better. Same mistakes game after game. Clearing the back side and the front of the net is just basics, not some strange new system.

Goph's new assistant and D coach seemed to turn that D-man core around pretty quick.

exactly, when the opposing team's d has the puck at the point in our zone I am always fearful of a shot fromt he point going in as for some reason we let a ton of those go in. as opposed to when our d has the puck at the point in their zone I'm always thinking blocked shot or just a shot into their legs.

I agree with this, after many games this year I read in the press how impressive the defense of our opponent was regarding "blocked shots". The way I have been seeing it is that we have been taking many shots that I would call ill-advised due to the fact that a defender was squarely blocking the shooting lane. Not only is this a waste of a possession but also a big time opportunity for a rush in the direction for which you do not cheer.

I'd like to have seen some better play as well, but I think we have the right coaches to get there.

I'd like to have seen some better play as well, but I think we have the right coaches to get there.

Ok...but when do we "get there"? I don't think some of these players came back this season to not have the D "get there" by now. A wasted season no one wants!

I agree with this, after many games this year I read in the press how impressive the defense of our opponent was regarding "blocked shots". The way I have been seeing it is that we have been taking many shots that I would call ill-advised due to the fact that a defender was squarely blocking the shooting lane. Not only is this a waste of a possession but also a big time opportunity for a rush in the direction for which you do not cheer.

I agree. Our points are making it very easy to block the shooting lanes, because, in my opinion, they're not receiving the puck while skating often enough. Without motion, it's fairly simple to get between the puck and the net. The teams that do the best job of getting pucks to the net from the blue line are moving along the line with the puck, whether on the power play or at even strength.

Dave

Ok...but when do we "get there"? I don't think some of these players came back this season to not have the D "get there" by now. A wasted season no one wants!

I think this is a very valid question. I will admit that I thought hiring Berry would be a good move. I'm not ready to pull the pin yet, but to make a coaching change would imply that something was wrong with the way things were going in the past. I just don't know that things were all that bad on the ice the past few years warranting this type of change. To see the product on the ice regress from a season ago is quite shocking, and the change should not be above scrutiny.

I think this is a very valid question. I will admit that I thought hiring Berry would be a good move. I'm not ready to pull the pin yet, but to make a coaching change would imply that something was wrong with the way things were going in the past. I just don't know that things were all that bad on the ice the past few years warranting this type of change. To see the product on the ice regress from a season ago is quite shocking, and the change should not be above scrutiny.

Especially since we have an older team and much of last year's team is back. Also, the addition of Rocco, Schmaltz (1st rounder), and Gothberg (5th rounder I believe and had a great Bruins development camp) should have also been a positive. Something is definitely not right, they are turning it on late that's for sure.