SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs EWU (1/17)

SWSiouxMN

After a week hiatus, I am back on the job with the previews.

UND got a big spark off a 23 point, 7 assist game from Jamal Webb. Along with Huff and Anderson finishing with 20 a piece, UND got a much needed victory over the Bobcats of Montana State 86-73. UND (5-10, 2-4) looks to defend homecourt again as they take on Eastern Washington at the Betty. Tip off is at 7 PM

MEDIA

The game will be on Midco and also will be on Big Sky TV for all the other non-Midco people.

HISTORY

This is actually the 3rd ever meeting between the two schools. The series is tied at 1 apiece. However, the last time these two schools tangled on the hardwood is way back in the 1982-1983 season

ABOUT THE EASTERN WASHINGTON EAGLES (4-12, 2-4)

The Eagles are lead by Coach Jim Hayford (2nd Season). The Preseason polls had this team picked 6th in the coaches, but the media picked them to finish 3rd. A team that will live and die by the 3. They lead the conference in not 3 pointers made as a team (148), but they also lead the conference in attemps (419), about 100 more than 2nd place Montana State. Their 2 victories in Big Sky play was a 57-54 win against ISU, and then a 82-59 beatdown of NAU. Both of these victories were on their home court however. EWU however has a very bright future and a great cornerstone to build their program around for this and next 3 years in this kid in Venky Jois. The recent departure of their transfer hurts the team because he was a very good player at both sides of the basketball, and will have to do a very good job in replacing his producion.

TEAM STATS COMPARISON

UND EWU

PPG 65.6 69.8

RPG 33.9 35.9

APG 10.6 13.8

FG% .402 .403

FT% .735 .644

3P% .328 .353

MORE STATS

• Biggest reason why EWU is near the top of the rebounding charts is the effort of the diaper dandy Jois. He currently leads the Big Sky in Rebounds Per Game with 9.3
  • One of the biggest success stories of the year for UND is their much improved free throw shooting. It helps when 3 of your players rank in the top 10 in free throw shooting with Anderson (2nd), Schuler (4th), and Wilmer (10th)

HISTORICAL MILESTONE

• With 14 points, Troy Huff will become just the 32nd Player in UND history to score 1000 points, and will be only the 9th Junior to do so. With the way he has been playing as of late, he has a very good chance of getting this mark on Thursday.

KEY PLAYERS

#55 6-7 F Venky Jois FR (13.1 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 2.1 BPG, .500 FG%, .682 FT%)

I take one look at this Diaper Dandy and say this: The Sky is the absolute limit for this kid. If I had to buy future's stock on players winning the Big Sky Player of the Year awards, I would buy on him being a candidate as soon as next year and for sure his junior and senior years (if he keeps working on his game). A double-double machine just waiting to happen. He can get the Offensive board just as well as he can get the Defensive ones. Oh, and don't try and think about driving down his lane, he turns it back like a regular Bol (4th in the conference in blocks per game, had 6 blocks against Sac State). He is not a threat at all to the outside, but gets the job done reguardless. Not a bad free throw shooter from the line for a big man, but 68.2% is nothing to be amazed with. Once he can get that to around 75-80% if he can, look out. He does a great job in keeping teams honest about sagging to their 3 point style of play. Mitch Wilmer... good luck, you will have to play your very best against this kid to contain him.

#24 6-6 F Collin Chiverton SR (10.9 PPG, 2.1 RPG, .407 3P%, .416 FG%, .591 FT%)

Here is a guy with length that can stretch a defense. With EWU's style of play, he fits right in as most of his shots taken have been from behind the arch, and has some pretty good success in nailing them. If he is on, he will be tough to deal with. He doesn't really fill the stat sheet in other areas as much, but he cannot be left alone, cause he can sneak 2-3 rebounds at key spots. Free throw percentage is a bit deceiving because of 2 performance (0-2, 1-6) (last year shot .790 from the line), so it might be best to try and keep him off the line. I think he and Huff are going to be a great battle between these two forwards.

#12 6-10 F Martin Seiferth SO (7.9 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 1.8 BPG, .649 FG%, .477 FT%)

The transfer from Oregon is quietly making good of his playing time at EWU. While he doesn't put the ball up a lot, whenever he does it usually goes in. He is a very solid rebounder and a nice secondary rebounding option after Jois. He also does a very nice job patrolling the lanes from anyone driving, as he is one of the top block per game people in the Big Sky. The one thing about this big German kid is this: He has been Shaq at the free throw line. Our bigs are going to have their hands full when going against this kid at Jois.

KEYS TO THE GAME

1) Perimeter D: UND has to be very good at closing out on the shooter and limiting the amount of open looks these guys get from behind the arch. Make every 3 pointer contested. The more they do that, the better off they are. If EWU gets open looks, they will go down and we will be in trouble

2) Webb: Needs to keep playing like he did against the Montana Schools. I feel he is turning the corner slowly. If we can get him going like Huff and Anderson, wins are going to start piling up for UND.

3) Rebounding: Need to limit EWU size advantage as much as possible, try and crash and avoid them crashing in the process. I want to see Huff and Webb take control of the rebound if Wilmer isn't going to use his god given size to do so

4) Free Throws: UND needs to win this part of the game and big I feel. They have shot very well this year and need to continue that trend.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to find this online but I couldn't. Does someone have a list of the all-time leading scorers in UND men's BB history? Even just the top scorer (and his points) would be helpful. Thanks.

Page 96 of the media guide has the top 31 scorers in UND basketball history and a breakdown of each of the seasons they played at UND.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205781178

1.Scott Guldseth, 2,190

2. Dave Vonesh, 2,052

3. Travis Tuttle, 1,935

4. Chris Gardner, 1,829

5. Phil Jackson, 1,708 *

6. Todd Johnson, 1,672

7. Todd Haaven, 1,624

8. Chad Mustard, 1,568

9. Chris Fahrbach, 1,442

10. Jerome Beasley, 1,402 **

* Played only 3 years

** Played only 2 years

1.Scott Guldseth, 2,190

2. Dave Vonesh, 2,052

3. Travis Tuttle, 1,935

4. Chris Gardner, 1,829

5. Phil Jackson, 1,708 *

6. Todd Johnson, 1,672

7. Todd Haaven, 1,624

8. Chad Mustard, 1,568

9. Chris Fahrbach, 1,442

10. Jerome Beasley, 1,402 **

* Played only 3 years

** Played only 2 years

If Beasley would have played 4 years he could have beaten the record.

Got off to a hot start, and then the shots stopped falling. Turnovers were a problem, but seems like they kind of cleaned that up a bit. The Eagles are blocking alot of shots, and the rim blocked Huff one time too.............

I can't believe how inept our big men are at rebounding. Huff and Webb are the best rebounders on this team.

Allard left with an injury, don't recall if I saw him return. He at least is a capable rebounder. It would be very unfortunate if misses an extendid amount of time.............