SiouxSports.com Forum

We need more cheers/chants!

ophelia

The students aren't leading the fans in cheering. They don't have any new cheers and they don't seem to be doing any old cheers. It's hard to get a chant going when the announcer is constantly talking or the music is blaring from the time the whistle blows to the face off. Some fans tried to get the "Let's go Sioux" cheer going, but it starts so fast it ends in three seconds. (The band was in Montana - they are usually good at getting something going.) I think our teams play better when we are cheering loudly for them. Any thoughts on ways to get new chants or cheers going?

When the band is not there it really does suffer. What a shame that for the women's hockey team during rivalry week with Minnesota the band was out of town. You could really notice the difference at both men's and women's games that the band was missing. I am also finding it hard to drop fighting Sioux for UND in most cheers as UND just doesn't sound right. I am sure it will just take some time.

Best hockey cheer ever IMO (if you can get enough people that know it to do it). Affectionately referred to as the "Funnel Cheer."

I am sure there are other fan bases (WCHA especially) that will take credit for this one. Either way, still a great cheer

Hey (Goalies name), you're not a goalie, you're a funnel,

Hey (Goalies name), you're not a funnel, you're a vacuum,

Hey (Goalies name), you're not a vacuum, you're a black hole,

Hey (Goalies name), you're not a black hole, YOU JUST SUCK!! Sieve, Sieve, Sieve, Sieve.

The students aren't leading the fans in cheering. They don't have any new cheers and they don't seem to be doing any old cheers. It's hard to get a chant going when the announcer is constantly talking or the music is blaring from the time the whistle blows to the face off. Some fans tried to get the "Let's go Sioux" cheer going, but it starts so fast it ends in three seconds. (The band was in Montana - they are usually good at getting something going.) I think our teams play better when we are cheering loudly for them. Any thoughts on ways to get new chants or cheers going?

Why would the band go to a road game when there is a home series of games? (ok, 2, but still)

All UND cared about was getting rid of the name. Why did they not prepare for this? The atmosphere should not be any worse than when the logo was still around. We lost alot of history and tradition with the logo leaving and we have nothing to replace it.

You better bet your A$% that UND wont allow any of the old songs or cheers, they want the nickname GONE no matter what it does to fan experience. The band or announcer have the responsibility to cover up any controversial cheers, so much for free speech. Lets hope the hockey games dont end up like the football games.......

About 95% of the time when the band starts something, the student will usually NOT follow. My numbers might be a little exaggerated but it is very high. Watch this weekend as eveyone else will yell D-A-K-O-T-A DAKOTA DAKOTA GO SIOUX! and the band goes D-A-K O-T-A NOOORTH DAKOTA! right after, I guarantee it. Its what has been going on at the football games and I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

All UND cared about was getting rid of the name. Why did they not prepare for this? The atmosphere should not be any worse than when the logo was still around. We lost alot of history and tradition with the logo leaving and we have nothing to replace it.

You better bet your A$% that UND wont allow any of the old songs or cheers, they want the nickname GONE no matter what it does to fan experience. The band or announcer have the responsibility to cover up any controversial cheers, so much for free speech. Lets hope the hockey games dont end up like the football games.......

During the Gopher and Badger series last year when we were considered UND, the band didn't try to cover up any of the Lets go Sioux cheers, I expect that to continue for this year. In fact, I see the opposite of any UND cheers started by the band to be drowned out by the Let's Go Sioux cheers.

How are you surprised this was not going to happen?

So someone throw out conjecture about what the "higher ups" are doing, and now all of a sudden it's fact. This is what we call "message board facts." I am not saying that there's not the possibility, but, without proof, I wouldn't go assuming it to be true. This is how the old legend that "Ralph had dynamite placements incorporated during construction so that it could be blown up if the nickname went away" started. I still to this day hear from people who believe this as gospel, especially out in the western part of the state.

Beside, I was at Friday's game and there was enough Sioux chants and references to Fighting Sioux from the crowd to make this old fan very proud of my alma mater -- from the National Anthem on.

• Upvote 1

Here are the cheers that I have heard in the 3+ years of student season tickets (going on 4th)

Let Go Sioux

Sioux Yeah Yeah

Sieve, Sieve, Sieve

Our score cheer during the PP*

Our defense cheer duing the PK*

Our teamwork cheer during the PP*

SHOCKER cheer

(a little too dirty to explain on a message board)

Throw in the beer song, the dance to Chelsea Dagger, and the infamous f*** the Gopher cheer, that is it.

I wish that at least on our end we are a little big louder and more into it, we should strive to be the Cameron Crazies of the hockey world. It wouldn't be hard to find a group of students who are devoted enough to lead the section in more cheers.

EDIT: Thought of a few more that I heard

Goalie/Sieve

Gopher rejects

Husky rejects

Husky women

If you can't get into college, go to Tech

Here are the cheers that I have heard in the 3+ years of student season tickets (going on 4th)

Let Go Sioux

Sioux Yeah Yeah

Sieve, Sieve, Sieve

Our score cheer during the PP*

Our defense cheer duing the PK*

Our teamwork cheer during the PP*

SHOCKER cheer

(a little too dirty to explain on a message board)

Throw in the beer song, the dance to Chelsea Dagger, and the infamous f*** the Gopher cheer, that is it.

I wish that at least on our end we are a little big louder and more into it, we should strive to be the Cameron Crazies of the hockey world. It wouldn't be hard to find a group of students who are devoted enough to lead the section in more cheers.

Do we still have the guys with "the list" ? By the visitors penalty box? Guessing they graduated. I hope they passed the torch...

• Upvote 1

Never heard of the guys with "the list" Anyone like to enlighten me on this?

These guys had a list of players from other teams and things to chirp them about. I don't know if it falls much into the "cheers and chants" category, but these guys were diehards who spend the week leading up to the game doing research. Added to the atmosphere of the student section. I graduated in 09, so I'm not sure if a similar group exists.

• Upvote 1

So someone throw out conjecture about what the "higher ups" are doing, and now all of a sudden it's fact. This is what we call "message board facts." I am not saying that there's not the possibility, but, without proof, I wouldn't go assuming it to be true. This is how the old legend that "Ralph had dynamite placements incorporated during construction so that it could be blown up if the nickname went away" started. I still to this day hear from people who believe this as gospel, especially out in the western part of the state.

Beside, I was at Friday's game and there was enough Sioux chants and references to Fighting Sioux from the crowd to make this old fan very proud of my alma mater -- from the National Anthem on.

Obviously UND cheer teams, bands, radio and TV broadcasters, PA announcers, etc., have been instructed to not use "Fighting Sioux" or "Sioux" in anything they say. It is the policy of the University. I wasn't trying to be any sort of conspiracy theorist, but you have to think that there is a good chance that the bands that play at games were instructed to not play any songs, or do any drum led cheers that would result in "Sioux cheers." UND is trying to transition away from the Sioux name. Playing the "Hey song" and having the drummers do a drum beat where fans yell "Let's - Go - Sioux" is not helping the cause of transition. Of course I have no proof that this is happening...but is it really that far-fetched??

These guys had a list of players from other teams and things to chirp them about. I don't know if it falls much into the "cheers and chants" category, but these guys were diehards who spend the week leading up to the game doing research. Added to the atmosphere of the student section. I graduated in 09, so I'm not sure if a similar group exists.

The lists included such tidbits as the names of the players' family members, among other things...... :devil:

I know most of that group has graduated, but I'm not sure whether they passed the torch or not. Maybe somebody else will pick it up....

I spoke with someone in the band and he said they aren't doing the "hey song" because of that reason. We spoke for quite a bit about band stuff and they are actively trying to replace Sioux cheers. I wish they would just have an absence in those times and let the crowd be the crowd. I am particularly sick of the band though for playing over "Let's Go Sioux" with that annoying "ugh" song and other crap like that.

Our discussion started on me getting upset about them changing the end of the school song. So, in admission of a band member, they were changing specifically to hide students saying the word Sioux because its the Voldemort for the administration.

The lists included such tidbits as the names of the players' family members, among other things...... :devil:

I know most of that group has graduated, but I'm not sure whether they passed the torch or not. Maybe somebody else will pick it up....

In the 3+ years I have been here and the hours and hours I have spent waiting in line and talking to people (including some of the die hard student fans) I have never heard of "the list" ever spoken

Of course, it won't be that hard to find someone to restart that tradition :cool:

I spoke with someone in the band and he said they aren't doing the "hey song" because of that reason. We spoke for quite a bit about band stuff and they are actively trying to replace Sioux cheers. I wish they would just have an absence in those times and let the crowd be the crowd. I am particularly sick of the band though for playing over "Let's Go Sioux" with that annoying "ugh" song and other crap like that.

Our discussion started on me getting upset about them changing the end of the school song. So, in admission of a band member, they were changing specifically to hide students saying the word Sioux because its the Voldemort for the administration.

News flash....the Fighting Sioux name has been retired by UND. Does it suck...of course. Is it going to be hard to not say Sioux at UND games..you bet. But we can't be still saying "Let's Go Sioux" 10 years from now. UND will be getting a new name. That is inevitable. Yes it will be hard to embrace a new name and logo and cheer it at games. But there will come a time when myself and other fans will be yelling "Lets go (insert new nickname)" I will probably still by habit yell "Sioux" at games in the next few years....but when a new name is chosen, I will chant and cheer for whatever that new name is. Sure there will be some fans that will refuse to cheer and yell the new name. But eventually (I hope) all UND fans will cheer the new name at games. The 3 year transition period where UND has no name will help fans transition away from the Sioux name and prepare for a new one.