SiouxSports.com Forum

SUU game

geaux_sioux

Statistics rarely tell the whole story, but in UND's case, it's pretty bizarre that it has a 3-4 Big Sky record despite being:

10th in scoring offense;

11th in total offense;

(all of the above are conference-only stats).

About the only key statistic that UND ranks highly in is penalties, as it has the fewest in the conference.

Really? Man this seems surprising. I know we had two road duds, but I would've thought we were higher. The Big Sky really must be offensive league.

Statistics rarely tell the whole story, but in UND's case, it's pretty bizarre that it has a 3-4 Big Sky record despite being:

10th in scoring offense;

11th in total offense;

12th in scoring defense;

12th in total defense; and

10th in turnover margin.

(all of the above are conference-only stats).

About the only key statistic that UND ranks highly in is penalties, as it has the fewest in the conference.

Hope you realize that UND's offense has not played the four worst defenses in the conference.

ISU, UCD, and UNC all have horrible defenses statistically. The statistics aren't true round robin, so they aren't fully comparable. Let UND' offense tee off against ISU, and watch what happens.

UND had two blow out games where the team seemed to give up. Those games demoralized fans and made UND offensive stats horrible. Even with those two blowouts, if UND had won against SDSU and NAU, playoffs would have been possible.

By statistics, the Baltimore Orioles should have lost 25 more games than they did (scored fewer runs than they allowed), but the stats didn't mean crap.

The most amazing stat to me is that UND's D only had one in the top 100 in tackles: Baylee Carr. No LB listed.

The stats also show UND's defense is also actually pretty decent in the Red Zone. It's atrocious outside the red zone.

There's no doubt this team has some glaring weaknesses, but it is also more opportunistic than given credit for.

Hope you realize that UND's offense has not played the four worst defenses in the conference.

ISU, UCD, and UNC all have horrible defenses statistically. The statistics aren't true round robin, so they aren't fully comparable. Let UND' offense tee off against ISU, and watch what happens.

UND had two blow out games where the team seemed to give up. Those games demoralized fans and made UND offensive stats horrible. Even with those two blowouts, if UND had won against SDSU and NAU, playoffs would have been possible.

By statistics, the Baltimore Orioles should have lost 25 more games than they did (scored fewer runs than they allowed), but the stats didn't mean crap.

The most amazing stat to me is that UND's D only had one in the top 100 in tackles: Baylee Carr. No LB listed.

The stats also show UND's defense is also actually pretty decent in the Red Zone. It's atrocious outside the red zone.

There's no doubt this team has some glaring weaknesses, but it is also more opportunistic than given credit for.

As you probably noticed from the first sentence of my post, I acknowledged that statistics don't tell the whole story. But clearly the won-loss record and the statistics are somewhat at odds with each other. The offense is probably better than the statistics suggest, particularly due to the terrible performances in the EWU and MSU games, not to mention the fact that Portland St. was a non-conference game. As for the defense, there's not a lot of mitigating circumstances there. The defense is what the numbers say it is.

As you probably noticed from the first sentence of my post, I acknowledged that statistics don't tell the whole story. But clearly the won-loss record and the statistics are somewhat at odds with each other. The offense is probably better than the statistics suggest, particularly due to the terrible performances in the EWU and MSU games, not to mention the fact that Portland St. was a non-conference game. As for the defense, there's not a lot of mitigating circumstances there. The defense is what the numbers say it is.

We're on the same page. Rather have the W/L record exceed the stats than the other way around.

I pointed out a couple of intelligent plays to my daughter:

1. Greg Harden lets the kick off roll out of bounds rather than pick it up at the 12 yard line. The penalty put the ball at the 40, we went on to score, quite often you will see players panic and pick up the ball in that situation.

2. The last play of the game our defenseman whacks the ball to the ground rather than trying to intercept it. He would have gotten the interception stat but the smart play was to end the game with no risk.

I pointed out a couple of intelligent plays to my daughter:

1. Greg Harden lets the kick off roll out of bounds rather than pick it up at the 12 yard line. The penalty put the ball at the 40, we went on to score, quite often you will see players panic and pick up the ball in that situation.

2. The last play of the game our defenseman whacks the ball to the ground rather than trying to intercept it. He would have gotten the interception stat but the smart play was to end the game with no risk.

Was it Hardin, or Ramon Bridges that let the ball roll out?