SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Design Affecting Attendence?

watchmaker49

Before we get on a ledge after November 3rd on attendance - keep in mind that last home game is against an inferior opponent, has no play-off implications and I believe it is the opening weekend of deer hunting in ND, which based on history, always hurts attendance. It is what it is.

Before we get on a ledge after November 3rd on attendance - keep in mind that last home game is against an inferior opponent, has no play-off implications and I believe it is the opening weekend of deer hunting in ND, which based on history, always hurts attendance. It is what it is.

Deer hunting opens in ND on Nov. 9.

I think the two biggest draw backs of the Alerus is that it it can't grow to meet the needs of the university, and that it just doesn't feel like the home of UND football. I can't fathom why the people of GF would build a $100 million plus facility that cannot be expanded? It boggles the mind as to why they would give such a nice facility such a short life expectancy. The building and the field also feel very alien and not at all like the home of UND football. Look at the field for crying out loud, you have North Dakota in both end zones (which is nice), then two enormous "Alerus" logos, and nothing at mid-field to indicate that this is UND's home. With that said, I do like the addition of the two Big Sky logos. I wish they would have built a facility on par with the Fargo Dome,, or at least with the possibility of eventually being on par.

i seems like whenever someone at the alerus center does something it just isn't done with a lot of thought...the championships banners face only one way (away from the student section btw)...instead they could have had one banner (in the north or south sides of the arena) saying "ncc championships" and then listing the years below it instead of 25 or so generic banners facing only one way which partially block the video screens...

This is a stupid thread, but then again, look who started it: Watchmaker. He thinks he should be running everything but can't even run his own life.

If the Alerus didn't exist, football attendance would be half of what it is. November games would be lucky to get 3000.

• Upvote 1

You are not far off here.

Would also add that the Alerus as it exists is not the originally intended design. Originally, the level of the playing field was lower than ground level, so escalators and stairs were not required to reach the main concourse level.

After the flood, the entire Alerus Arena area design was raised up, so that flooding of any kind could not inundate the playing level, lockers, lower seats etc (see the FargoDome). This redesign added considerable cost and greatly increased the cost of any expansion on the south end. At that time, the requirement for FBS was 30,000 or so stadium seats and nobody anticipated it would drop to 15,000 for both stadium size and average attendance.

For watchmaker to come on here with "know it all" crap he spews is disgusting, and nobody here seems to challenge his B.S. At least he could actually get the facts correct.

• Upvote 1

Would also add that the Alerus as it exists is not the intended design. Originally, the level of the playing field was lower than ground level, so escalators and stairs were not required to reach the main concourse level.

After the flood, the entire Alerus Arena area was raised up, so that flooding of any kind could not inundate the playing level, lockers, lower seats etc (see the FargoDome). This redesign added considerable cost and greatly increased the cost of any expansion on the south end. At that time, the requirement for FBS was 30,000 or so stadium seats and nobody anticipated it would drop to 15,000 for both stadium size and average attendance.

For watchmaker to come on here with "know it all" crap he spews is disgusting, and nobody here seems to challenge his B.S. At least he could actually get the facts correct.

That's good information, explains a lot about about the way it is designed, I'd take the stairs over the flood threat every day of the week.

That's good information, explains a lot about about the way it is designed, I'd take the stairs over the flood threat every day of the week.

The Alerus is intended to double as a community shelter in the event of a community disaster. It's been used as such when Canadians were stuck in Grand Forks without housing during a World Juniors blizzard. People forget about that whole concept. For Fargo to flight floods, the FargoDome was the focus of that effort and without it Fargo's battles would have been much more difficult.

People complain all the time about the bottom line of the Alerus, but if they ever needed it for the safety of their lives they would quickly change their tune - at least temporarily.

Most larger arenas and stadiums are dug down to save construction and steel costs as well as create a more stable foundation.

The Alerus is intended to double as a community shelter in the event of a community disaster. It's been used as such when Canadians were stuck in Grand Forks without housing during a World Juniors blizzard. People forget about that whole concept. For Fargo to flight floods, the FargoDome was the focus of that effort and without it Fargo's battles would have been much more difficult.

People complain all the time about the bottom line of the Alerus, but if they ever needed it for the safety of their lives they would quickly change their tune - at least temporarily.

Most larger arenas and stadiums are dug down to save construction and steel costs as well as create a more stable foundation. The Ralph couldn't dig down either, so that added considerably to its cost.

Is that why ice level is below ground?

Is that why ice level is below ground?

I deleted that later. Many arena dig down much lower than the Ralph. The Ralph also had permitting issues until there was English Coulee flood protection in place. The Ralph also isn't designed as a community shelter. My point was that if it wasn't built in a flood prone arena, it's construction would have been cheaper.

I deleted that later. Many arena dig down much lower than the Ralph. The Ralph also had permitting issues until there was English Coulee flood protection in place. The Ralph also isn't designed as a community shelter. My point was that if it wasn't built in a flood prone arena, it's construction would have been cheaper.

It's kinda dumb, they spends a ton of money on flood protection along the river and waste a ton of money by not digging the Alerus into the ground and being able to spend the saved money elsewhere.

This is a stupid thread, but then again, look who started it: Watchmaker. He thinks he should be running everything but can't even run his own life.

If the Alerus didn't exist, football attendance would be half of what it is. November games would be lucky to get 3000.

What is your problem? Did you ever even graduate from UND?

Would also add that the Alerus as it exists is not the originally intended design. Originally, the level of the playing field was lower than ground level, so escalators and stairs were not required to reach the main concourse level.

After the flood, the entire Alerus Arena area design was raised up, so that flooding of any kind could not inundate the playing level, lockers, lower seats etc (see the FargoDome). This redesign added considerable cost and greatly increased the cost of any expansion on the south end. At that time, the requirement for FBS was 30,000 or so stadium seats and nobody anticipated it would drop to 15,000 for both stadium size and average attendance.

Exactly what are are these wrong facts that you speak of? While you sit and dream that you could have gone to Montana today to watch football, if you could have afforded to go, I will be sitting outside on a nice sunny day watching baseball in Arizona. For the next 5 months you will be complaining about the cold and the snow I will be sitting by the pool enjoying the nice weather.

Exactly what are are these wrong facts that you speak of? While you sit and dream that you could have gone to Montana today to watch football, if you could have afforded to go, I will be sitting outside on a nice sunny day watching baseball in Arizona. For the next 5 months you will be complaining about the cold and the snow I will be sitting by the pool enjoying the nice weather.

Ok we get it...you're a big deal. You have a house w a pool in AZ. Enjoy...

• Upvote 1

Apparently Arizona watchmakers are overpaid, arrogant, and authoritative. Who would’ve known?

• Upvote 2

You don't need to be a big deal to have that...when the market crashed people were giving away houses down there.

That's true, a lot of people from here bought winter homes for a fraction of what their houses here are worth.

That's true, a lot of people from here bought winter homes for a fraction of what their houses here are worth.

Nice that some of us could take advantage of it. Also they are not as cheap as you think. The lowest priced houses are way out in San Tan, Queen Creek, Maricopa, Anthem, Buckeye, way north Peoria, and Deer Valley. Those houses are really out there though.

I could probably buy a house in AZ with a credit card with the poor market down there!

Actually you couldn't. Housing median prices have climbed 30% in just the last year. Most anything under say 175K, or in that neighborhood, are being scarfed up by investors as rental property and the normal buyers are being squeezed out by the cash buyers. There are about 5 different groups that are buying like mad down here. The people from up there and elsewhere that bought in the areas I listed before that bought prior to 2012 are the ones that made out like bandits. Those deals really are not out there anymore. In 2010 you could pick up a 3/2 1,200-1600 sq foot for between 80K-120K that were new houses but not anymore. You really would not lke to commute though from there. It takes an hour to get from RT O'Sullivans old store in Mesa to watch a game from north Peoria, with no traffic.