SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana game

geaux_sioux

Crap, here it goes. I'd say NDSU would fair well against that schedule. They are one of the top teams in FCS right now darell. Best part with FCS is every team has a chance t prove exactly how good by making the playoffs. This thread is going to blow up.

Its just to prove that UND has played good teams...only Montana is the one not ranked. NDSU has a weaker schedule so far than UND. Sagarin can back that up with his SOS. Even our FBS team (San Diego St) was better than there's. I know this is going to turn into a whose dick is bigger but it pisses me off when they can look at our schedule and say we haven't played anyone good. Especially coming from a team who knows how to schedule cupcakes.

I would love to see how many wins NDSU would have if their schedule looked like this:

NDSU vs Cal Poly

NDSU at EWU

NDSU vs NAU

NDSU vs Montana

NDSU at Montana State

Could NDSU go 5-0 in that stretch? And before you Herd fans yell of course think about who you lost to in your dome.

Could NDSU? Sure. Would I guarantee it? No. I don't guarantee any games.

The thing is (and this is just me giving my honest OPINION) no one can ever say with any certainty that any game in another conference is a win until they've played the game. Sometimes you do get the big game hangover affect and lose to a team that you should have beat (see ISU vs NDSU this year or YSU vs NDSU last year). Heck, I'm willing to bet that IF UND and NDSU played this year the game would be a good one and not a blowout only because of the rivalry/tradition between the two schools. UND would come to play I believe because it would be the "big game" on the schedule, I'm not sure if NDSU would view it as the same (call it snobbish, I'm calling it how I see it).

The beauty (as others have pointed out) is that at the end of the regular season, we get to see the big hitters from each conference square off against each other week after week until there are only 2 left. Last year we were fortunate to have a dominating defense and a good group of kids playing their hearts out against a division of football teams that said we had no right being on the field with them just a few short years ago.

For the record, I'm ok w/ UND winning the rest of their games and destroying Montana State next week.

Could NDSU? Sure. Would I guarantee it? No. I don't guarantee any games.

The thing is (and this is just me giving my honest OPINION) no one can ever say with any certainty that any game in another conference is a win until they've played the game. Sometimes you do get the big game hangover affect and lose to a team that you should have beat (see ISU vs NDSU this year or YSU vs NDSU last year). Heck, I'm willing to bet that IF UND and NDSU played this year the game would be a good one and not a blowout only because of the rivalry/tradition between the two schools. UND would come to play I believe because it would be the "big game" on the schedule, I'm not sure if NDSU would view it as the same (call it snobbish, I'm calling it how I see it).

The beauty (as others have pointed out) is that at the end of the regular season, we get to see the big hitters from each conference square off against each other week after week until there are only 2 left. Last year we were fortunate to have a dominating defense and a good group of kids playing their hearts out against a division of football teams that said we had no right being on the field with them just a few short years ago.

For the record, I'm ok w/ UND winning the rest of their games and destroying Montana State next week.

So you are saying the NDSU would think that playing UND wouldn't be a big game? Well, why were the first words "sioux suck" coming out of the players mouths right after the won the D-1AA title?

So you are saying the NDSU would think that playing UND wouldn't be a big game? Well, why were the first words "sioux suck" coming out of the players mouths right after the won the D-1AA title?

Easy jab at the school to the north perhaps?

What I'm saying is that I don't think they would look at it as the same opportunity UND would. In MY opinion, I feel if the game were next Saturday UND would be pumping this game up as an opportunity to knock off the defending national champions, NDSU MIGHT overlook UND as a lower tier cupcake from the BSC that SHOULD be a win. Point being, I (not speaking for ANYONE else) that the game would mean more to UND than NDSU and that UND would put some points on the board against our defense.

Says the school that scheduled Mines....

(Sorry that was too easy not to take a jab at).

Next year our "cup cake" FBS team is #4 Kansas State.

It was scheduled before we entered the Big Sky unlike your conference mates UNI, and ISU (you know the one that beat NDSU).

Easy jab at the school to the north perhaps?

What I'm saying is that I don't think they would look at it as the same opportunity UND would. In MY opinion, I feel if the game were next Saturday UND would be pumping this game up as an opportunity to knock off the defending national champions, NDSU MIGHT overlook UND as a lower tier cupcake from the BSC that SHOULD be a win. Point being, I (not speaking for ANYONE else) that the game would mean more to UND than NDSU and that UND would put some points on the board against our defense.

UND's offense vs NDSU's defense. If only UND's defense was better we could meet in the playoffs. One of the best receivers in the FCS vs one of the best DB's. Its a dream matchup, of course your offense against our defense wouldn't be a dream but a nightmare for UND.

I would love to see how many wins NDSU would have if their schedule looked like this:

NDSU vs Cal Poly

NDSU at EWU

NDSU vs NAU

NDSU vs Montana

NDSU at Montana State

Could NDSU go 5-0 in that stretch? And before you Herd fans yell of course think about who you lost to in your dome.

What the hell I'll play.

5-0 15%

4-1 65%

3-2 15%

2-3 5%

1-4 0%

0-5 0%

NDSU vs Cal Poly

NDSU at EWU

NDSU vs NAU

NDSU vs Montana

NDSU at Montana State

I could see bizun losses at EWU and maybe versus Cal Poly. NDSU would've beaten NAU by 3 scores, beaten Montana by 2+ scores, and (based on what I've seen/heard about them thus far) would probably beat the cats by 2 scores.

Edit: All that being said, anything can happen on gameday, they could go anywhere from 2-3 in that stretch (unlikey) to 5-0 (plausible).

It was scheduled before we entered the Big Sky unlike your conference mates UNI, and ISU (you know the one that beat NDSU).

So that makes them a non-cupcake, non-counter somehow?

As for the second part of the statement.... what are you getting at? ISU is far from a cupcake. They were unrated when they played us for sure, but a cupcake they were not. They flat out beat us with their defense. Their offense not so much. There is/was no moral victory for NDSU that week. It was a game that we could have and should have won and we didn't.

So that makes them a non-cupcake, non-counter somehow?

As for the second part of the statement.... what are you getting at? ISUr is far from a cupcake. They were unrated when they played us for sure, but a cupcake they were not. They flat out beat us with their defense. Their offense not so much. There is/was no moral victory for NDSU that week. It was a game that we could have and should have won and we didn't.

The MVFC teams I mentioned also scheduled DII teams this year. I know NDSU loves to make fun of teams that do that but I guess its only UND that makes it to the computer screen when they type the humor.

The question that should be posed is not how NDSU would do against UND's schedule. It's how UND would do against NDSU's schedule. Would UND do better, worse, or the same as NDSU against the same schedule.

If you say UND's schedule is tougher, fine, I agree with that. But you lost to most of those teams, so it wouldn't have mattered if you had the SOS of the Minnesota Vikings. SOS is only relevant when you are winning the games when you compare it to someone else's SOS. Like Darell is in this thread.

So how about it, how would UND do against NDSU's schedule?

• Upvote 1

If you say UND's schedule is tougher, fine, I agree with that. But you lost to most of those teams, so it wouldn't have mattered if you had the SOS of the Minnesota Vikings. SOS is only relevant when you are winning the games when you compare it to someone else's SOS. Like Darell is in this thread.

Except for UNI......

NDSU vs Cal Poly

NDSU at EWU

NDSU vs NAU

NDSU vs Montana

NDSU at Montana State

Well, we went 4-0 last season against JMU, Lehigh, Ga. Southern, and SHSU. Sure I think NDSU could go 5-0 in that stretch. Could also lose a game or two. Last year we lost to YSU in the dome. They ended up 6-5. We were still awesome and pounded on teams.

Its just to prove that UND has played good teams...only Montana is the one not ranked. NDSU has a weaker schedule so far than UND. Sagarin can back that up with his SOS. Even our FBS team (San Diego St) was better than there's. I know this is going to turn into a whose dick is bigger but it pisses me off when they can look at our schedule and say we haven't played anyone good. Especially coming from a team who knows how to schedule cupcakes.

That is great that UND has played good teams. They haven't beat any of the good teams yet. So to make yourself feel better you say "Oh, well NDSU would maybe lose one or possibly two of those games!!!!!!"

Except for UNI......

People have quit defending UNI. Their early season schedule made them an exception to every rule in the book(2 B1G games, two very highly ranked FCS games). The loss to SIU took away any defense people could make for them.

• Upvote 1

The MVFC teams I mentioned also scheduled DII teams this year. I know NDSU loves to make fun of teams that do that but I guess its only UND that makes it to the computer screen when they type the humor.

I completely missed what you were saying before. I get it now. Point well made.

Except for UNI......

Earlier in the year they looked like they were going to be tough so the coaches/polls/computers gave them a higher ranking than they deserved based on how they played those two FBS teams, once they started losing in conference they dropped rapidly (out of the top 25 on all the polls and GPI, still rated pretty high by sagarin though last I looked)

Oh, sorry, I thought another record had been broken in the Montana game. That is what this thread is about, correct? Darrell, maybe you should quit bringing up NDSU in every single f****** post you make. it's lame and it's getting worse. [Facepalm]

• Upvote 4

The question that should be posed is not how NDSU would do against UND's schedule. It's how UND would do against NDSU's schedule. Would UND do better, worse, or the same as NDSU against the same schedule.

So how about it, how would UND do against NDSU's schedule?

I'll swing at this one as well.

7-0 5%

6-1 10%

5-2 20%

4-3 55%

3-4 10%

2-5 0%

1-6 0%

0-7 0%

I'll swing at this one as well.

7-0 5%

6-1 10%

5-2 20%

4-3 55%

3-4 10%

2-5 0%

1-6 0%

0-7 0%

A zero percent chance that UND only has 2 wins? Now I need to see a game by game analysis because I don't see a guaranteed third win for UND on NDSU's schedule. If you say USD, I would say a win isn't guaranteed against them considering the history in USD vs. UND games.

I think against NDSU's schedule, UND still is most likely to be either 3-4 or 4-3. So pretty much the same as they are now. So the discussion of SOS between NDSU and UND is irrelevant because the teams on NDSU's schedule might not be as good as UND's on the whole. But they are still good enough to beat UND.

A zero percent chance that UND only has 2 wins? Now I need to see a game by game analysis because I don't see a guaranteed third win for UND on NDSU's schedule. If you say USD, I would say a win isn't guaranteed against them considering the history in USD vs. UND games.

I think against NDSU's schedule, UND still is most likely to be either 3-4 or 4-3. So pretty much the same as they are now. So the discussion of SOS between NDSU and UND is irrelevant because the teams on NDSU's schedule might not be as good as UND's on the whole. But they are still good enough to beat UND.

I saw the USD/Griz game in Missoula to start the year. USD sucks...no way UND loses to them anywhere at anytime this year.

3-4 or 4-3 is an accurate assumption. Until we beat a FBS school that game vs. CSU has a 0% chance of being won by UND.

• Upvote 3

Your act is getting incredibly old. NDSU is a really good team playing in a mediocre to poor conference. NDSU will likely make a playoff run but any other MVFC team that makes the playoffs will be sitting at home the following week after an ass-kicking on the road against a Big Sky or CAA team or an upset home loss to a Patriot League or OVC team. It's what the conference was known for prior to NDSU's addition and nothing has really changed.

Your act is getting incredibly old. NDSU is a really good team playing in a mediocre to poor conference. NDSU will likely make a playoff run but any other MVFC team that makes the playoffs will be sitting at home the following week after an ass-kicking on the road against a Big Sky or CAA team or an upset home loss to a Patriot League or OVC team. It's what the conference was known for prior to NDSU's addition and nothing has really changed.

I appreciate the fandom and Moo U hate, but that's a bit of a stretch.....