SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana State Rivalry Game

MerffCAT33

Congrats on 1st BSC win UND. Welcome to the BSC. I'm a MSU grad and

CAT fan. Our schools are rivalries again! Got two quick Q's for you.

Since we have this great battle between us again, the word on

bobcatnation.com is what to name it and what should the trophy look

like. Since the Bakken oil field splits us, that kind of came out of

the gate as the front runner. Something to do with the oil patch for

a name and possibly an oil derrick of some sort as the trophy. What

do you guys think? Also Grand Forks is a driveable or train ride game

for us. I plan on making the trip every other year to cheer on the

CATS so I was wondering what the tailgating setup was like over there.

Looking to make some contacts with level-headed UND fans to get

together and talk football/have beers without getting into a fist

fight. Anyone planning on coming out to Bozeman this year? Again,

Congrats on the "W" and welcome to the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

I like the Bakken trophy because of the idea that it divides us. I am also looking forward to renewing the competition between the two schools. For now we are "rivals" do to the new scheduling, but even if other teams are added and there are division splits we would still be in the same division and playing every year so I think we should move on this.

How do we as fans get this moving?

I like the Bakken trophy because of the idea that it divides us. I am also looking forward to renewing the competition between the two schools. For now we are "rivals" do to the new scheduling, but even if other teams are added and there are division splits we would still be in the same division and playing every year so I think we should move on this.

How do we as fans get this moving?

I think we start by informing the AD's at both schools to get the ball rolling. We have a Quaterbacks Club that would know how to spearhead it on our side. They recently put out a parody of Red Solo Cup on youtube that's pretty cool. How do I post a youtube link on your forum?

I think we start by informing the AD's at both schools to get the ball rolling. We have a Quaterbacks Club that would know how to spearhead it on our side. They recently put out a parody of Red Solo Cup on youtube that's pretty cool. How do I post a youtube link on your forum?

Just post the link and we can check it out that way.

not a fan of any oil related trophy. Seems too dakota marker trophy-esqe (NDSU and SDSU's brazenly contrived trophy), and I'm philosophically not a fan of industry trends out there.

There has to be some sort of obscure memorabilia to fight over from the old days. The weird trophies are the best ones. How about the winner gets Beach?

not a fan of any oil related trophy. Seems too dakota marker trophy-esqe (NDSU and SDSU's brazenly contrived trophy), and I'm philosophically not a fan of industry trends out there.

There has to be some sort of obscure memorabilia to fight over from the old days. The weird trophies are the best ones. How about the winner gets Beach?

Okay, that made me chuckle a little bit.......

Winner gets exclusive recruiting rights to Beach for that given year :lol:

Well if you guys are willing to give up top recruits outa Beach, I guess we could pony-up our 5-star recruits outa Wibaux! In case there are some of you over on the east side of NoDak wondering where (Wee-Bo) is, Wibaux is the Montana suburb of Beach. And I still think The "Bakken Battle" is a sweet name.

Don't trash the marker, makes sense for a trophy between the Dakota's. Oil related works IMO. Only problem is it will be tough considering MSU has UM and UND is kinda stuck in no-man's-land as far as a pure rival goes. Those form though based on competition(see NDSU/UNI and other similar ones.)

Only problem is it will be tough considering MSU has UM and UND is kinda stuck in no-man's-land as far as a pure rival goes.

Just looking to build something with UND fans thats all. As far as CAT/griz (MSU/UM). That rivalry has been in place for over 110 years. Don't know what your definition of "pure" is, but when you are from Montana, you are either CAT or grizz and nothing else. It will be a long time for the MSU/UND game to reach that kind of status with Montanan's. I'm new to this forum, but I guess every "new-guy" can ask a stupid question. How come since UND's move up the UND/NDSU rival hasn't started again?
  • Upvote 1

Just looking to build something with UND fans thats all. As far as CAT/griz (MSU/UM). That rivalry has been in place for over 110 years. Don't know what your definition of "pure" is, but when you are from Montana, you are either CAT or grizz and nothing else. It will be a long time for the MSU/UND game to reach that kind of status with Montanan's. I'm new to this forum, but I guess every "new-guy" can ask a stupid question. How come since UND's move up the UND/NDSU rival hasn't started again?

1) UND ended the rivalry poorly, making NDSU unwilling to reschedule out of spite

2) they are in different conferences, which makes scheduling harder

3) The schools are at different levels of strength financially, and UND has had a harder time filling its schedule and seats, putting NDSU in a position of strength, where they felt they could and should drive a hard bargain.

4) NDSU is well on its well to making new bitter rivals, while UND has not. The UNI-NDSU series got bitter fast, for instance.

5) scheduling priorities. NDSU wants six home games, and isn't willing to drop a home game for what would be roughly a wash monetarily.

1) UND ended the rivalry poorly, making NDSU unwilling to reschedule out of spite

2) they are in different conferences, which makes scheduling harder

3) The schools are at different levels of strength financially, and UND has had a harder time filling its schedule and seats, putting NDSU in a position of strength, where they felt they could and should drive a hard bargain.

4) NDSU is well on its well to making new bitter rivals, while UND has not. The UNI-NDSU series got bitter fast, for instance.

5) scheduling priorities. NDSU wants six home games, and isn't willing to drop a home game for what would be roughly a wash monetarily.

You forgot that Taylor and his ego are scared to death of playing UND in FB cuz he could lose, again, and that would set the Bison program back 10 years.