SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Very common to see someone knocked out from just 1 punch. Now please tell me how that is past the limit? You have no control on how the events unfold after the first punch is thrown. That's why no fight is ever worth it. Even if you win you end up losing.

Beck was quoted as saying he hit the guy more than once. He didn't get knocked out with a single punch. So Beck had time to quit before knocking him out.

I totally agree about fighting not being worth it. The only time it is worth it is to defend yourself or your family if attacked, and then only as a last resort.

Obviously, I have no idea of the circumstances surrounding this. I believe a guy has a right to defend himself, though. If Travis Beck punched me once or twice, I'd probably be unconscious too. If i was the one who started it, I would have deserved it.

The red flag in my eyes is that he apparently ran from police.

I also woudn't sweep a year old MIP conviction under the rug when as a 21 year old he is engaging in bar fights at 3:00 in the morning a year later.

Haha, good effort. But, I've read that thread too and let me shed a bit of light on those out of context quotes that you are using as 'proof' NDSU fans want him to play this fall regardless of what he did.

1st quote is a fair point by that poster. If it turns out the facts are different than what is being reported and he wasn't the aggressor he shouldn't be completely kicked off the team.

2nd quote has absolutely nothing to do with getting him on the field. Only that he will be supported. Nothing wrong with that.

3rd quote responding to someone who is saying Beck wasn't the aggressor. If that is found to be true, I would be in favor of him returning to the team after a suspension. As would most people.

4th quote completely tongue in cheek, context my friend, it would serve you well to read between the lines.

5th quote if the video indeed does show him to be the victim in all this, why wouldn't the charges be dropped?

6th quote he was responding to someone saying he should be kicked out of SCHOOL. Again, it helps to read what people are responding to.

Any more brain busters?

I have to agree that all context was lost in an attempt to paint the scene.

PS - If you thought you were defending yourself and in the right, would you flee?

Personally, if I were attacked, and then laid out the guy who came at me with a few right hand round-houses, I'd be more than happy to tell my side of the story to the authorities........................... :whistling:

Even if he was defending himself, a second fleeing charge will not sit well with the courts.

PS - If you thought you were defending yourself and in the right, would you flee?

While I agree it looks bad, and in my opinion, I won't be surprised if he was in the wrong, it is really hard to stay calm, cool, and collected in any situation when drunk....which I imagine he was. I mean...there has been a time or two when I have been 21 where I have almost ran from house parties because I forget the fact that I am doing nothing wrong.

Personally, if I were attacked, and then laid out the guy who came at me with a few right hand round-houses, I'd be more than happy to tell my side of the story to the authorities........................... :whistling:

LIke I stated above, I imagine it would be an odd situation. You just KO'ed a dude......even if he really deserved it, I imagine it would not be a fun situation to be a part of, I'd probably panic and try to get away as well. Some of it may even come down to generational gaps.....my dad's idea of police and mine are extremely different because of how the police handle things now vs. the 80's..

Once again, I will not say Mr. Beck had a good reason to do what he did or not...I just really don't know enough....I don't think many people do at this point. He is in a sticky spot though and I do not envy what he is dealing with at all. If he is innocent, then I'd like to see plenty of articles talking about how he simply defended himself, it really isn't fair if he is innocent that his name is getting pulled through the mud, but if he is guilty, no pity for him at all.

The red flag in my eyes is that he apparently ran from police.

I also woudn't sweep a year old MIP conviction under the rug when as a 21 year old he is engaging in bar fights at 3:00 in the morning a year later.

Yup and yup.

If he plays a down this year it will be another example of GT's total lack of institutional control of the AC's AD. If Beck gets cleared in court...good for him but until then IMO some bar as to be set or at least lifted off the ground for actions like this.

Here is a very, very similar situation that happened in Laramie, Wyoming:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/suspended-wyoming-senior-luke-martinez-pleads-not-guilty-to-felony-assault/

I would imagine we will hear the same blustering out of the attorney of the Ag School's player. Now, I am not saying that the Ag School's football player kicked anyone in the head like the Wyoming Bucketball player did, but everything else is very similar.

Oddly, Luke Martinez from Wyoming is also a North Dakota boy...

There is no excuse for beating someone until they are unconscious, even if that person threw the first punch. If the other person attacked, Beck should be able to defend himself. But there is a limit. Unconscious is past that limit.

I'm not proud to say I have been in and seen many, many fights over the years. Unconsciousness has very little to do with the ferocity of the attack and much more to do with hitting someone in the correct spot, or incorrect spot depending on how you see it.

If you land a solid shot to someone's jaw, they're going to sleep.

Now, again, I have no idea if that is the case with Beck. I'm just saying the man ending up unconscious doesn't preclude the scenario from being reasonable self defense.

http://www.keepbusy.net/play.php?id=bully-receives-one-punch-knockout

fast forward to 40 seconds.

I'm not proud to say I have been in and seen many, many fights over the years. Unconsciousness has very little to do with the ferocity of the attack and much more to do with hitting someone in the correct spot, or incorrect spot depending on how you see it.

If you land a solid shot to someone's jaw, they're going to sleep.

Now, again, I have no idea if that is the case with Beck. I'm just saying the man ending up unconscious doesn't preclude the scenario from being reasonable self defense.

http://www.keepbusy....-punch-knockout

fast forward to 40 seconds.

You are quick to say that people need to not jump to conclusions and wait for the facts to come out before passing judgement. Well that goes both ways. You can't assume it was self defense, or assume that it was just one punch. Don't get mad at people for coming up with their own conclusions about what happened when you are doing the same thing. The facts will come out soon and we will all know.

Though it looks like this second resisting arrest charge is warranted. I have seen that charge given out for some pretty "ticky tack" thing. Especially if it associated with an MIP.

Seems to have a pretty low threshold to be charged with resisting arrest.

The twisted relationship of AC fans/players and law enforcement on display.

You are quick to say that people need to not jump to conclusions and wait for the facts to come out before passing judgement. Well that goes both ways. You can't assume it was self defense, or assume that it was just one punch. Don't get mad at people for coming up with their own conclusions about what happened when you are doing the same thing. The facts will come out soon and we will all know.

I'm not getting mad at people for jumping to conclusions, just presenting the other possibilities. Which just so happens to be what the defendant is claiming in this case(what else would he say).

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/402754/

Police said they were called to a fight sometime after 2 a.m. Sunday and found 24-year-old Matthew Aanenson lying unconscious on the ground. Several witnesses said Beck was the aggressor.

When police called Beck to return to the scene as he was walking away, he didn’t do as ordered, and a police sergeant ran after him and struggled with him during the arrest, according to a police report filed with the charges.

According to charging documents, Beck told police he and Aanenson had started arguing while in the Sports Bar. They continued the argument outside, where Beck said Aanenson tried to punch or push him.

Beck admitted he then started to hit Aanenson with his fists in the face and head until he fell to the ground. Beck was bleeding from the mouth, and said a third person, Mitch Havig, had hit him.

Havig admitted to hitting Beck, but said he’d done so to stop him from attacking Aanenson.

That part makes Beck look bad. If you are defending yourself you DON'T flea police (or struggle with them).

The twisted relationship of AC fans/players and law enforcement on display.

Why did you change your post? And my view of law enforcement has nothing to do with me being an NDSU fan or former player and everything to do with my personal experience with law enforcement abusing their power.

Again, there has to be at least one defense attorney on this board who knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Why did you change your post? And my view of law enforcement has nothing to do with me being an NDSU fan or former player and everything to do with my personal experience with law enforcement abusing their power.

Again, there has to be at least one defense attorney on this board who knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I realized I should at least give you credit for an acknowledgement that "it looks like this second resisting arrest charge is warranted". (second resisting arrest charge-that's the state of affairs here)

Apparently, taking the view that law enforcement is abusing their power is a prerequisite FOR being and AC fan or former player.

As in most situations, the truth in all of this will be somewhere in the middle.

I suspect we'll find neither was a passive victim nor a willful aggressor; however, the consequences to each will based on their histories. The judicial system tends to look for patterns of behaviors and escalates its response when dealing with recurrences and escalations.

• Upvote 1

I realized I should at least give you credit for an acknowledgement that "it looks like this second resisting arrest charge is warranted". (second resisting arrest charge-that's the state of affairs here)

Apparently, taking the view that law enforcement is abusing their power is a prerequisite FOR being and AC fan or former player.

I've seen you post on this board for a few years, so take this as a complement. You're reading comprehension skills are better than you are letting on.

Never once did I say the police abused their power in this case. In fact, it appears the police did a fine job.

Respond directly to my question please, this is unrelated to the current discussion, so don't accuse me of saying the police were wrong in this case. Do you feel law enforcement is infallible?

Cops can only deal with what they see in front of them, in the middle situations that most of us would want no part of, and try to enforce law.

The sort-it-all-out-later belongs to the court system where they sort out and restore order.

That's why the TV show is called "Law & Order".

I'll say it again: Mr. Beck would be much better off right now if he'd have no history with the court system. Even if he was the victim of an attack a second fleeing charge will probably not be viewed lightly.

At Kiwanis in DL yesterday noon one of the former AC All-Americans (who went on to a very successful career in the NFL) stated: "Beck picked a fight with this guy earlier and got his ass kicked. He then came back and kicked this guys ass". I wasn't at that table but I would have wanted to ask if the first fight was the same night as the second fight. Beck has a problem with alcohol. When one misses work, gets in fights, gets multiple DUI's etc those are red flags. He has 2 or 3 and should have a chemical/alcohol dependency eval and appropriate treatment. I would predict the judge will recommend that and anger management. You can't criticize Bohl on this he immediately suspended the kid. I am curious to know if our AC friend at kiwanis has this story correct.

It used to be entertaining over the years to read about their repeated offenses because there is indeed a different culture at the AC with regards to athletics. These things do happen at both schools but I believe their lead in these problems are almost as lopsided as UND's lead over them in the FB series). This has become a reflection on their school but also on college athletics. Most people don't give a rats ass if you play for the AC, or UND for that matter. They don't want to be bothered by dumb asses who think they are heroes cuz some media folks or fans make them out to be. They can sit in a bar and some "jock sniffer" will buy them dirnks and remind them of some great play or hit during their storied careers. That makes them feel entitiled and important.They played FB and its a game. They aren't heroes. They didn't face bullets or IED's in the middle east or pull some kid out of a burning building. They act just a stupid as the dumb ass fans who want to hang out with them or be near them.

Having said that this kid hasn't been convicted of anything. Give him his day in court. If the other guy picked the fight and attacked him first I would not suspend him from the team. He should be allowed to defend himself. You should avoid fights but if you fight you need to be willing to do whatever it takes to survive and that means putting the opponent down. You don't want to drill someone and start walking away and get knifed in the back. This kid is not a convicted felon he is accused of a felony. Criticize the AC for past issues, but they suspended the kid for what he is accused of and that is what UND would have done. Sometimes we later learn the rest of the story. This did not warrant the splash on the front page either. The administration at the AC and the media in Fargo need to realize that the improtant things in life are bigger than winning or losing college FB games. This kids offenses warranted a small report on the sports page or the city blotter.

• Upvote 4

I've seen you post on this board for a few years, so take this as a complement. You're reading comprehension skills are better than you are letting on.

Never once did I say the police abused their power in this case. In fact, it appears the police did a fine job.

Respond directly to my question please, this is unrelated to the current discussion, so don't accuse me of saying the police were wrong in this case. Do you feel law enforcement is infallible?

I don't think law enforcement is infallible. I just enjoy watching the AC fans/former players making that argument in a public forum.

Americans wear caps/t-shirts with FBI, NYPD, an FDNY on them. The Fargo mayor and deputy mayor are gods and treated like they walk on water for their flood fighting efforts. Police install public cameras with no opposition from city hall. So, they don't like hearing about how, in this latest incident where an AC player fled police, it is actually the police getting it wrong. The guy he put in the hospital is the one that should have been charged (boy you REALLY have to screw things up badly if that is true).

Tough argument to make, but again, I enjoy watching folks try and make it.