SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Basketball Attendance.....................

bincitysioux

Thanks. Looks like a nice arena. Hope to visit it some day!

I continue to be perturbed by the fact that UND is drawing under 1,700 per game.

Weber is a hoops school, in a hoops state, basketball is where we made our name so it's easier for us to get fans to the games, If North Dakota can keep winning and stay competetive, it wont be long till you guys are filling your arena, you guys have a very nice arena, much better than a lot that were already in the sky, cough cough Sac state cough cough Portland State cough cough UNC.

Weber is a hoops school, in a hoops state, basketball is where we made our name so it's easier for us to get fans to the games, If North Dakota can keep winning and stay competetive, it wont be long till you guys are filling your arena, you guys have a very nice arena, much better than a lot that were already in the sky, cough cough Sac state cough cough Portland State cough cough UNC.

It will always be difficult cause most people in this city don't realize UND plays basketball, its all about Hockey and nothing else. The only time we get more than 10 students is when they offer select seating for hockey games or free tuition for a semester, its really sad that students never attend. I occassionally ask people around town on game days if they are attending the BB game and they say WHAT, they dont know it exists or on a saturday when both teams play in town and I have on my Sioux jacket I will be asked " are you going to the hockey game tonight" and I say no the BB game and they shrug me off.

There are a few of us students that you'll see at most games, but yes, for the most part the student body is totally apathetic to just about anything not men's hockey related. It's disappointing but not really sure how it can be changed. They have offered free food, promotion specials, etc., and it still has not attracted students other than when priority seating is done for hockey games (and don't get me started on that...)

It will always be difficult cause most people in this city don't realize UND plays basketball, its all about Hockey and nothing else. The only time we get more than 10 students is when they offer select seating for hockey games or free tuition for a semester, its really sad that students never attend. I occassionally ask people around town on game days if they are attending the BB game and they say WHAT, they dont know it exists or on a saturday when both teams play in town and I have on my Sioux jacket I will be asked " are you going to the hockey game tonight" and I say no the BB game and they shrug me off.

It's just sad it's come to that. Average attendance is now half what it was 10 years ago. And the team we have had the last 3 seasons is easily the best we've had since the teams that Beasley played on.

I would guess that next season's average will get a bump because the NDSU game should be in GF, but I fear that 1,500-2,000 fans are going to be the norm going forward. The Sioux Center should be nearly full for every conference game.

It's just sad it's come to that. Average attendance is now half what it was 10 years ago. And the team we have had the last 3 seasons is easily the best we've had since the teams that Beasley played on.

I would guess that next season's average will get a bump because the NDSU game should be in GF, but I fear that 1,500-2,000 fans are going to be the norm going forward. The Sioux Center should be nearly full for every conference game.

A men's hockey game at the Ralph isn't just a game, but an event that provides a lot of visual stimulation. The Sioux Center can't match that, so at least it needs some video boards to provide extra stimulation and replays. That would bring in more casual fans, with their kids.

The poor start due to injuries to Huff and Brekke meant a lot of losses to begin the season. That took a lot of hope out of the air. Sioux fans will support a team that has a good shot of an NCAA bid. If the volleyball team next year is at the top of the conference, I would expect it to approach attendance for the basketball teams.

One of the problems that building a huge arena for hockey caused was a downturn in attendance for nearly everything else - not just UND sports, but Chester Fritz, etc. Now so many people can watch hockey in person, they either can't afford or choose not to attend other events that maybe they were accustomed to attending before 2001. On the other hand, it's been a while since there was much to cheer for besides the hockey team. I know it's been said a million times, but once the other sports put a product out that is worth watching, people will watch. Volleyball is a good example of that, as attendance has gone way up since Hardee has been here.

A men's hockey game at the Ralph isn't just a game, but an event that provides a lot of visual stimulation. The Sioux Center can't match that, so at least it needs some video boards to provide extra stimulation and replays. That would bring in more casual fans, with their kids.

Meh, I don't think people go to games to watch video replay boards, although they would be conventient. A lot of people now go to the hockey games because they are a party and it's the popular thing to do.

The poor start due to injuries to Huff and Brekke meant a lot of losses to begin the season. That took a lot of hope out of the air. Sioux fans will support a team that has a good shot of an NCAA bid. If the volleyball team next year is at the top of the conference, I would expect it to approach attendance for the basketball teams.

This I definitely agree with. Losing to UMKC was an embarrassment.

Meh, I don't think people go to games to watch video replay boards, although they would be conventient. A lot of people now go to the hockey games because they are a party and it's the popular thing to do.

The Ralph brings a lot of entertainment value to not-so-astute "hockey" fans, including the video boards. Seems like half the fans there are glued to the videos when there is a break in play, even the commercials and other goofy stuff (much of which helps to create a party atmosphere). Being able to watch a replay for a serious fan is huge.

Agreed. But not being able to watch a replay wouldn't make me stay home from the game either....

It may for someone who is indifferent about going. The environmnet there for basketball is somewhat stale... a video board would help and its needed to stay with the times. Recruits would like it.

I used to poo-pooh the idea that a video board was needed. But I now think it would help, and so would a better sound system in the Sioux Center. Even Portland St. and Sac St. have large video screens at the end of their arenas. And their facilities are worse than most North Dakota Class A gyms..............

There are a few of us students that you'll see at most games, but yes, for the most part the student body is totally apathetic to just about anything not men's hockey related. It's disappointing but not really sure how it can be changed. They have offered free food, promotion specials, etc., and it still has not attracted students other than when priority seating is done for hockey games (and don't get me started on that...)

Offering things like free food is pathetic and devalues the product on the court. If you send the message to students that the basketball team is so bad that you're willing to give them free stuff just to attend the game then you are only making the perception worse. Offer a good entertaining competitive product on the court and fans will be interested on their own. You can't buy love... attendance.

• Upvote 2

I used to poo-pooh the idea that a video board was needed. But I now think it would help, and so would a better sound system in the Sioux Center. Even Portland St. and Sac St. have large video screens at the end of their arenas. And their facilities are worse than most North Dakota Class A gyms..............

Luckily ICON architects are some of the best in the biz when it comes to video boards. Call em up and get it done.......... along with the IPF...

Luckily ICON architects are some of the best in the biz when it comes to video boards. Call em up and get it done.......... along with the IPF...

Is there adequate ceiling height in the Betty to get a scoreboard with video screens at half court? For some reason I remember feeling like there wouldn't be enough room for something nicer like that.

Is there adequate ceiling height in the Betty to get a scoreboard with video screens at half court? For some reason I remember feeling like there wouldn't be enough room for something nicer like that.

That's why they pay creative architects to design a score board that has tilted screens to be easily viewed by most everyone and has little screens underneath for players coaches and people in the first few rows to view like the staples center in LA

That's why they pay creative architects to design a score board that has tilted screens to be easily viewed by most everyone and has little screens underneath for players coaches and people in the first few rows to view like the staples center in LA

Good point. I've always been curious why they didn't include one when it first opened. Seems like one of those deals where they save $500K during construction in order to spend an additional $1.5 million 7 years later. (obviously those numbers are just made up by me)

http://www.bigskycon...rs.htm#conf.wkt

Weber State 6103

Montana 3809

Southern Utah 2634

MSU 2346

ISU 1872

UND 1572

UNC 1198

NAU 1031

EWU 915

PSU 907

Sac St 646