SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

You know Dan's right. An assistant is always retained to help out with recruiting until the head guy's found. This is really strange.

But what's the point of getting players that won't fit in the new coaches game plan. Each coach will choose what players to look for and I am sure Muss and the new coach will have different schemes.

Really so you think that's a good idea? Both your coorinators are UND grads, I would have thought Faison would have had both leading up the recruiting. Nothing like throwing away a year of recruiting.

We had one commit before the coaches were fired and one after. Doesn't seem like we're at as much of a disadvantage as having a staff that is on the way out trying to get kids to commit to a program that is under new leadership that has yet to be hired. The writing was on the wall a while ago and probably had a lot to do with our lack of verbals.

You know Dan's right. An assistant is always retained to help out with recruiting until the head guy's found. This is really strange.

No he isn't. To have a few hang around and hold down the fort, yes. You do not send them out recruiting when they have just been fired. WTF are you thinking? Let's send our fired coaches into a living room to try and persuade a player to come to a school where that fired coach will never coach again. What a selling point - great representative for the university!

One or two guys might get asked to hang around to answer phones, etc but they do not head out recruiting. No way in hell.

No he isn't. To have a few hang around and hold down the fort, yes. You do not send them out recruiting when they have just been fired. WTF are you thinking? Let's send our fired coaches into a living room to try and persuade a player to come to a school where that fired coach will never coach again. What a selling point - great representative for the university!

One or two guys might get asked to hang around to answer phones, etc but they do not head out recruiting. No way in hell.

20 years ago I would have said you were right. But the way recruiting is now you at least have to have someone on staff keeping contact with the kids you've offered, if nothing else just to assure them that the offer is still valid, you're still on UND's radar, don't make a decision until the new staff is in place, etc. These kids that have been offered are going to go 4-6 weeks with absolutely zero contact from anybody associated with UND. That can't help recruiting.

Since schools 'always' send fired coaches out recruiting it should be easy for our friend Dan to find 10 examples within the past 5 years.

You don't send a fired coach out to recruit. You retain one or two of the assistants to do it. You don't think Ed Orgeron's staff is beating down doors right now recruiting even though they don't know their fate?

20 years ago I would have said you were right. But the way recruiting is now you at least have to have someone on staff keeping contact with the kids you've offered, if nothing else just to assure them that the offer is still valid, you're still on UND's radar, don't make a decision until the new staff is in place, etc. These kids that have been offered are going to go 4-6 weeks with absolutely zero contact from anybody associated with UND. That can't help recruiting.

The damage to recruiting has already been done. This program is a festering wound that needed to be scrubbed out. I don't give a s**t what other programs do or have done. I don't want any one of these guys representing UND in a living room unless the new coach chooses him for that purpose. But, that must be the choice of the new coach and his staff. If that means they lose out on a month or two so be it.

This reclamation project is bigger than this recruiting class, which, I'm not particularly optimistic about.

You don't think that the guy they put in charge in the interim is doing something along those lines?

Once again, that is done over the phone/email by maybe 1 or 2 people, tops. Nobody will head out recruiting.

Kids aren't stupid, they will wait and see who the new coaching staff is, if they are not committed anywhere else and still interested.

You don't send a fired coach out to recruit. You retain one or two of the assistants to do it. You don't think Ed Orgeron's staff is beating down doors right now recruiting even though they don't know their fate?

So you "retain" them under the premise that they are going to be permanetely let go once the new staff is in place? I guess they may find a guy who would sign up for that, maybe.

Well there we have it und-1 has spoken. UND does everything right. Losing contact with recruits for whatever reason is stupid. You can still sell the school, facilities, etc.
  • Upvote 1

Well there we have it und-1 has spoken. UND does everything right. Losing contact with recruits for whatever reason is stupid. You can still sell the school, facilities, etc.

Who said they are doing it "right"? Is there a right way - I don't know. But I know there is a stupid way.

Question: who is going to "sell the school, facilities"?

You don't think that the guy they put in charge in the interim is doing something along those lines?

Nate Baukol is in charge of the football program right now. I'm not sure how much recruiting he is doing. I suppose if any offerees contact the football offices, his job is to relay the message to them that things are in flux right now...........