SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Exactly.

Nobody has offered Wilkie yet. Nobody.

But here lies the issue-- I live in the South metro, and from what I heard, he said both South Dakota schools were close. So, if we don't offer before another school does, I doubt he would come here. Almost like a back-handed compliment to come in second place when his dad (Chris I think?) is a former player.

But here lies the issue-- I live in the South metro, and from what I heard, he said both South Dakota schools were close. So, if we don't offer before another school does, I doubt he would come here. Almost like a back-handed compliment to come in second place when his dad (Chris I think?) is a former player.

I guess my point is that if he was held in such high regard and was that highly sought after, at minimum, he would have offers right now from the regional FCS schools already. But he doesnt. That tells me something.

I'm not going to say whether I think he's good enough or not, but it would appear that the coaching staffs of all the Dakota schools are in line with their evaluation of him at this time.

All indications are that he attended a few camps this summer, including UND and ndsu. The fact that he doesn't have any offers after attending the camps might be the biggest red-flag of all. Camps are the best evaluation tool a college coach can have.

Given what we know now, it's my guess that if an offer is on the horizon from any of the regional FCS schools (Dakota schools, UNI or otherwise), it will only be after that school missed out on their higher-rated top QB targets.

Which regional FCS schools have a QB verbal at this point? I did see that NDSU got the QB they were after, but haven't followed the other schools commits.

I too live in the metro and have seen him play twice. You can say what you want about him, but I would certainly be willing to take a chance on a 6'5 210lb QB that has thrown for the kind of numbers he has as a Jr. and Sr. I would also agree that it would be a backhanded compliment if we offered after others, especially when his father is a alum.

Which regional FCS schools have a QB verbal at this point? I did see that NDSU got the QB they were after, but haven't followed the other schools commits.

I too live in the metro and have seen him play twice. You can say what you want about him, but I would certainly be willing to take a chance on a 6'5 210lb QB that has thrown for the kind of numbers he has as a Jr. and Sr. I would also agree that it would be a backhanded compliment if we offered after others, especially when his father is a alum.

I would have to guess that with the state of the program and rumors of the staff being let go that they are not offering too many kids right now. Recruiting is probably the last thing on their mind this week. If he gets an offer it will be in December from the current staff because they were retained or the new staff, once they evaluate all the existing offerees/targets.

Does Wilkie have any past injury issues?

I would have to guess that with the state of the program and rumors of the staff being let go that they are not offering too many kids right now. Recruiting is probably the last thing on their mind this week. If he gets an offer it will be in December from the current staff because they were retained or the new staff, once they evaluate all the existing offerees/targets.

Does Wilkie have any past injury issues?

I don't know his medical history, but according to the statistics on the startribune website, he didn't miss a game in either his Jr. or Sr. year.

Let me be clear, Wilkie is a great high school QB and player. I have nothing against him. However, every FCS staff in the upper midwest seems to agree that he's not worthy of an offer yet. That is indisputable. There are reasons for this.

Who cares which other FCS schools have a QB verbal at this point? Would you like UND or any other school to offer him now, have him verbal, and then pull the offer later when they land one or 2 QBs they had ranked higher? Every staff is letting it play out and looking out for their own interests in recruiting. The meat and potatoes of the recruiting season doesn't even start until December when they start taking official visits.

Just because his dad is an alum doesn't mean UND is required to offer him. This backhanded compliment talk is laughable.

If UND (or any other school) offers him later and he is offended by the timing of it (which is pure speculation and I hope not the case), then he should go play somewhere else. Personally, I wouldn't want someone with that high-maintenance, entitled attitude playing at UND. If he would want to be upset with UND(again, hypothetical), then he should be upset with USD, SDSU, ndsu and UNI as well.

• Upvote 2

You are right, we are not required to offer him or anyone because their father played here, but you would probably get a player that is more enthusiastic and has more passion for UND football. I just think that we would have the inside track to get him since his father played here. Maybe you are right that he isn't worthy of a FCS offer, but I am hoping that you are wrong and he will find his way to Grand Forks next fall.

• Upvote 1

Maybe you are right that he isn't worthy of a FCS offer, but I am hoping that you are wrong and he will find his way to Grand Forks next fall.

I have never said he isn't worthy and this has nothing to do with my opinion on the kid.

I'm simply stating the info and facts that are out there.

I also agree that if it ends up working in both parties best interests, it would be great to see him at UND next fall, offer or not.

What I found interesting of the whole QB offering from Minnesota argument is that out of the MN QB's, the one we have an offer to is Keaton Studsrud. My personal belief is that Jacques Perra out of Roseville (threw for 296 and ran for 80 last night with 4TDs) and Wilkie would be better QBs in college, but then again I might now know what I'm talking about. :)

• Upvote 1

Has anyone seen any of these ND recruits play or at least know how good they are?

Eric Bachmeier, 6'3”, 180, Kindred (Kindred), ND

Austin Cieslak, 6'3”, 250, Hazen (Hazen), ND

Dylan Beck, 285, Lakota (Lakota), ND

Haven't seen him play but have heard we might be looking as a walk on at this point. He also has a history of a few concussions, so not sure if he will pursue football in college or not.

Has anyone seen any of these ND recruits play or at least know how good they are?

Eric Bachmeier, 6'3”, 180, Kindred (Kindred), ND

Austin Cieslak, 6'3”, 250, Hazen (Hazen), ND

Dylan Beck, 285, Lakota (Lakota), ND

Heard the announcers say during the ND 9-man championship game today that UND has talked to Cavalier's QB/S Ryan Chrest. He ran for 377 yards and 4 TDs. He had 2 int on D. Kid is definitely an athlete. His brother was a PWO at NDSU in 2011377

So who is everyone's most coveted realistic recruit(s) in this class? I have said it many times before but I will say it again mine are are Wilkie, Maynard and Gordon. Those are just the three I have been hoping for the most. Obviously I am hoping for some lineman on both sides of the ball too.

• Upvote 1

So who is everyone's most coveted realistic recruit(s) in this class? I have said it many times before but I will say it again mine are are Wilkie, Maynard and Gordon. Those are just the three I have been hoping for the most. Obviously I am hoping for some lineman on both sides of the ball too.

Along with Wilkie, Maynard and Gordon, I would also like to add Trabing, Herbes and Greely.

What I found interesting of the whole QB offering from Minnesota argument is that out of the MN QB's, the one we have an offer to is Keaton Studsrud. My personal belief is that Jacques Perra out of Roseville (threw for 296 and ran for 80 last night with 4TDs) and Wilkie would be better QBs in college, but then again I might now know what I'm talking about. :)

Studsrud is a good player! I don't think he is better than Wilkie or Perra as far as being a pure QB. Good athlete, however. Could play a lot of positions.

I'll pass on the scat backs for a while

Might look like a scat back because of size but very physical running style. Would be a great pickup if UND could get him, had a horrible offensive line his freshman year at Northland and found his way to be a Honorable Mention All American, great kid off the field too.