SiouxSports.com Forum

Vol fans curious about Sioux name controversy

BillVol

http://mbd.scout.com...2&t=8765105&p=1

There is a thread over on one of our boards about the Sioux name. For those of us not as familiar with the situation, could someone offer a synopsis? My main question is: Why do Illinois, Utah, and Florida State get to keep their name?

Cliff's Notes....The NCAA is a corrupt, unethical organization run by hypocrites.

http://mbd.scout.com...2&t=8765105&p=1

There is a thread over on one of our boards about the Sioux name. For those of us not as familiar with the situation, could someone offer a synopsis? My main question is: Why do Illinois, Utah, and Florida State get to keep their name?

Utah and Florida State had good working relationships with local tribes. Those local tribes automatically told the NCAA that they approved of using the nicknames as soon as the policy was announced. The NCAA used that reasoning to create an out for all schools that got approval from local tribes.

Illinois is different. The name Fighting Illini was originally used to recognize war veterans from Illinois. Shortly after that they followed the trend during that period to start using Native American imagery, and there had been a tribe that used the Illini name. That tribe no longer exists so Illinois couldn't get approval. That is why Illinois can no longer use the mascot and imagery. But the NCAA said they could keep the nickname because the original meaning was to honor war veterans.

UND could not get any Sioux tribes to give official approval during the original appeal period. UND sued to change the policy. UND and the NCAA settled the lawsuit, and the terms included giving UND an extra 3 years to get approval, but they had to get approval from 2 specific tribes (the 2 largest namesake tribes in the state). UND got approval from 1 tribe during the settlement period, the other tribe has continuted to oppose use of the name. Therefore UND is now on sanctions by the NCAA.

FSU, Utah, and Central Michigan got "one tribe" approval in the designated time period from the NCAA.

The Spirit Lake Sioux of ND were late to the party. SL approves now but the NCAA won't accept "one tribe" in ND and now demands "two tribe" approval.

Illinois' "Illini" name was deemed by the NCAA to not come from the name of the Illini Tribal Confederacy but from a nickname of a WWI (or WWII?) unit from Illinois (even though they used to use "Chief Illiniwek" as a logo).

Makes total sense now, doesn't it? :crazy:

and they really only care about money. As evidenced by the big name schools keeping their name and the small schools losing theirs.

There are several small schools that have been allowed to continue using their nickname because they got approval from local tribes. I believe that there are 3 or 4 Division III schools that got approval. Off the top of my head I remember that one of them uses the Choctaw name. I believe another was using a generic Indians name and had to add the local tribe name. UND didn't get approval during the appeal period.

Our SBOHE & AG screwed up & then a new Admin. came in & screwed things up even more - never a real united effort by key players until it was late in the terrible settlement & now the only Tribe that is near us wants to keep the name & is finally fighting for the Pride of that name

Now the sky is falling crowd (that only cares about their 2nd attempt to get in a D1 conference) is spreading Fear & untruths to say it will hurt the University

As long as we don't use the name for the very rare ncaa events nothing will happen if ncaa turns up the heat & increases sanctions other than the agreement - then I would think it would be grounds for further litigation

As long as we don't use the name for the very rare ncaa events nothing will happen if ncaa turns up the heat & increases sanctions other than the agreement - then I would think it would be grounds for further litigation

"Rare"? The men's hockey team is almost always in the NC$$ tourney. The women's hockey team in it this year. And that says nothing about the BB teams, football, etc. And the NC$$ doesn't need to "increase sanctions" beyond what's in the settlement, since they're doing enough damgage. Keep striving for mediocrity, Fetch. It seems to suit you.

& all we have to do is not wear the Sioux Jersey's at ncaa events

If not for the referral vote UND Admin. would have completely removed the Logo & any hope to keeping the name by now

They want us to all give up & just let it go away

What other harm can happen as long as we follow the settlement ?

Well, our former FB coach (won a DII title here, currently at Southern Illinois) Dale Lennon tells us that we're losing recruits because of the moniker issue because he's been told as much by recruits. Football players know that home NCAA playoff games are a big deal and under sanctions UND can not host (i.e. have a home) playoff game.

That's more than "not wearing a jersey".

That's losing home contests and losing recruits.

And now toss in for good measure that the Big Sky Conference would reconsider our membership if we can't host home NCAA playoff games.

That's the answer to "what other harm?"

Actually, "BillVol", to put this into your neck of woods familiarity, the Big Sky could also consider doing what the SEC (Tennessee's conference) does to Mississippi and Mississippi State and South Carolina in not allowing home conference tournament games in the states of Mississippi and South Carolina, basically extending NCAA sanctions through and into conference operations. Nothing stops that from happening. (Note: in Miss. and SoCar cases it relates to Confederate flag usage in those states and the NCAA's disapproval of it.)

Might lose recruits ? - Yeah that one sends shivers down my spine :silly: then maybe you need better Coaches & Admin. Our facilities are second to none & our coaches have been the difference in getting recruits so just run away from 80 yrs of a program that worked very well because of a misguided / false & Racist group of folks who think they know cultural diversity better than we do - seems to me the ncaa is trying to cause more harm than good

& if we wear the jerseys at ncaa events then they (ncaa) will up the sanctions - But were not going to do that we agreed in the settlement so were good to go if the truth were told then recruits would see thru the BS - if they want to play for coaches like that so be it - there are lots of fish in the sea

& if we wear the jerseys at ncaa events then they (ncaa) will up the sanctions - But were not going to do that we agreed in the settlement so were good to go if the truth were told then recruits would see thru the BS - if they want to play for coaches like that so be it - there are lots of fish in the sea

That's if the ATHLETES, BAND, ADMINISTRATORS, COACHES, CHEERLEADERS wear the logo. Fans can wear whatever they want and yell the Sioux name if they want.

You have a real reading comprehension problem, don't you?

It's very interesting how little you appear to know about how high school kids think, and about how college sports work.