SiouxSports.com Forum

Fox College Sports

bincitysioux

And as a follow up to my comment and Scott's, wouldn't it be great if all of those games were available to be seen any time you want. So we could sit at home on a hot July day and watch UND beat up on the Gophers in a hockey game from that previous season.

As if I need yet another "reason" to drink beer in July ... :whistling::D

• Upvote 1

Another thought about streaming. Did anyone watch Sunday Night Football on nbc.com this year? They streamed the games in HD quality. My DSL is slow, but the picture was still pretty good most of the time. The cool thing was that they gave you several different camera options. Most of the time I would watch the regular feed, the same as the one that was broadcast on television. But they had at least 5 different options so you could watch a sideline camera or a behind the quarterback camera or an endzone camera. That is something not available on broadcast TV. Maybe it could be some time in the future for more sports web casts.

K, lets take another angle at this network coverage. Lets say I live in the twin cities and the conference tourney is going to be in town. All season I have been able to watch the UND games on FCS and see how good the team is. Now I want to go and see them in person. Well, if I didn't see them on television, I probably won't be as up on the team and not be attending.

Now lets go back about 11 months to the final 5. Without the UND following, that tourney is a bust. Sure some fans like me are going to go to the games. The first game there were about 5000 people. Talking with people at the tourney, they talked about watching the games all season long. Its all about the benjamins and this move may just cost the league lots of benjamins. Plus now the conference tourney is not going to be on a regional, so you need to buy the sports package to get it. I don't think the powers that be thought this one out to well.

We all know this news severely affects those UND fans outside of the region. But it will also affect thousands of people within the region. Those people that choose DirecTV instead of cable will not have access to UND games, except the 4 or 5 on CBSSN. If you have cable and live within the region, this will affect you as well. CBSSN will presumably televise 2 or 3 hockey games from Grand Forks per year. The way I understand this deal, CBSSN will have exclusive rights to the games they televise over the regional rights (in other words, the regional provider can only televise the games that CBSSN chooses not to televise). Thus, the thousands of people who have cable in the region, even in Grand Forks itself, who don’t have a sports tier, are not going to be able to watch the UND home games that CBSSN decides to televise. And I suspect people are not going to be real enthusiastic about buying a sports tier just for 2 or 3 games per year. So this deal cuts out 2 or 3 games for most cable subscribers in the region.

Streaming has changed tremendously over the past couple of years. Most of the sports webcasts that are available right now are still using old technology. You can stream movies in HD right now to a computer, and hook that computer to a TV with a single cable. Or you can stream through a gaming system. And other options are out there now or will be soon. I agree with you, I would rather pay UND for using the stream rather than pay a cable company. And maybe they can keep expanding the offerings. As long as they have the system, maybe they could stream all home football, volleyball, men's and women's basketball, and men's and women's hockey plus some away games in each.

Isn't this what Big Sky TV does? Won't UND have the ability to put their hockey games on the net like the Big Sky games will be. I don't think the Root deal is going to shut down Big Sky TV, so all the UND (non-hockey) games will be available there.

I would think that UND will have to address this angle. I know someone said earlier that the Big Sky webcast is not top quality, but with streaming services becoming more commonplace, the technology will improve on both the broadcast and the receiving ends. My son has Roku/Netflix and the quality is as good as cable or satellite is.

My cable company is also my internet provider, so maybe Midco (or Comcast or Cox, or whoever is your cable provider) will provide an answer that has not even been mentioned on this board. Its all about competition, and this type of service will give someone (cable/internet providers?) a service advantage that they may be already looking at in more than one form.

I don't know what options will be available, but I know that there are more now than there were 18 months ago...

Hard to say what's going to be available in 2 years, if somebody would have told me 2 years ago that I'd be watching every FCS playoff game on my flatscreen courtesy of my kids xbox360 I would have been skeptical, so maybe by 2014 we'll have more options than we can imagine now.

• Upvote 1

K, lets take another angle at this network coverage. Lets say I live in the twin cities and the conference tourney is going to be in town. All season I have been able to watch the UND games on FCS and see how good the team is. Now I want to go and see them in person. Well, if I didn't see them on television, I probably won't be as up on the team and not be attending.

Now lets go back about 11 months to the final 5. Without the UND following, that tourney is a bust. Sure some fans like me are going to go to the games. The first game there were about 5000 people. Talking with people at the tourney, they talked about watching the games all season long. Its all about the benjamins and this move may just cost the league lots of benjamins. Plus now the conference tourney is not going to be on a regional, so you need to buy the sports package to get it. I don't think the powers that be thought this one out to well.

One of the quotes said that they are going to explore adding exposure in the Twin Cities to the current regional TV exposure. I don't know what that will look like, UND may not know yet. But if you add the current UNDSN on Midcontinent and other cable companies, the OTA option, plus adding a Twin Cities outlet, plus adding a high quality streaming option and you could make the games available to more people across the United States than using the current setup.

Nice avatar, which reminds me of a funny joke...

A lawyer opened the door of his Mercedes, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious Mercedes.

"Officer, look what they've done to my Mercedessss!!!", he whiningly said.

"You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!!!" retorted the officer, "You're so worried about your stupid Mercedes, that you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off!!!"

"Oh my god....", replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "Where's my Rolex?

That's actually pretty funny. I like lawyer jokes, because there's a basis of truth in them. :devil::D

Here's one for you ...

Two lawyers are walking into the office one fine Monday morning. The first lawyer tells her partner "I got a dog for my kids this weekend." The second lawyer replies "Really? Good trade."

Nice avatar, which reminds me of a funny joke...

A lawyer opened the door of his Mercedes, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious Mercedes.

"Officer, look what they've done to my Mercedessss!!!", he whiningly said.

"You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!!!" retorted the officer, "You're so worried about your stupid Mercedes, that you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off!!!"

"Oh my god....", replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "Where's my Rolex?

I have to admit that; that joke was funny.

I just tried to watch some basketball over the interwebs tonight but was denied because apparently ESPN's site wasn't working here. I guess that is what I can look forward to in the future. That generally doesn't happen with my DirecTV..............

I'm pretty sure that there are times when DirecTV doesn't work. Like during storms at times for instance.

Was the problem with ESPN because the site wasn't working, or because you don't have access to it through your internet provider? ESPN3 isn't available on all internet providers. Kind of like how not all television channels are available on all cable or satellite providers.

I'm pretty sure that there are times when DirecTV doesn't work. Like during storms at times for instance.

Was the problem with ESPN because the site wasn't working, or because you don't have access to it through your internet provider? ESPN3 isn't available on all internet providers. Kind of like how not all television channels are available on all cable or satellite providers.

I assume the problem was with the WatchESPN site, because I could surf to any other site all night. It's worked great the rest of the week though.

And yes, I understand that bad weather can affect satellite and people's cable service can go out from time to time. My point is that in general the internet can be far more unreliable than television. Internet streaming is a great supplement, but IMO would be quite disappointing if it was the main avenue for coverage.

Just reading around the board this morning I see this thread, and the over in Community I see this old thread:

http://forum.siouxsp...-new-it-center/

And I say to myself .... hmmm ...

Add in a couple of more thoughts...

Online education ranking #3 in nation for "Student Services and Technology" Technology emphasis mine.

UND Television Center

Somehow meld all of these assets into a platform to deliver UND to the masses.

I've got my backup plan already locked in. Worst-case scenario if I lose the ability to watch on DirecTV, I will buy a slingbox, set it up at my mothers house (in GF, she gets midcon) and watch it that way...not sure if I can stream it right into my tv through a pc though....

Anyone else want in on my slingbox-feed??? :)

I see this being a little like the texas decision. They go to an all longhorn network and A&M leaves along with Nebraska, Colorado, and who knows who else left. Do not think for one moment that the HQ's in Colorado saw this and didn't want it in the hockey conference. But the problem is, those schools do not have a following like UND does. We will not get FSN to pick this up, We will not get Fox because of the exclusivity. Your dealing with the big boys of network conglomerates now and UND has shown that when it comes to making decisions on the big level, they don't have the moxy to play the game. Example, FIGHTING SIOUX gone.

And just how much "moxy" does Denver and Colorado College (two small private schools) have? Or Neb-Omaha? Or Western Michigan? Or St. Cloud State? I rest my case. This has nothing to do with "moxy", this is about rushing to sign a TV deal instead of weighing all the many options that are out there in both cable and satellite TV. :sad:

I think the NCHC could have cut a better deal with someone else that is always looking for programming (Fox College Sports for instance). They could have used our relationship and connections with FCS to put together a package that would have helped all the schools in the conference, most of whom don't have a lot of institutional power to start with, get more nationwide exposure. This was a bad deal for everyone. ???

• 2 weeks later...