SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs the FBS

darell1976

actually will be on the throne till next january, now thats some funny !@#$ right there get it throne

After Sunday's game I might be on throne til January. :lol: :lol: :lol: In serious though its tough to repeat, and IMO if NDSU repeats they should be known as one of the best FCS teams ever. For what they have done in a small amount of time. 2008-2012. I hope UND can imitate their success.

UND has SDSU (Aztecs), SJSU, and Wyoming...can we win any of those? I see maybe SJSU being winnable.

Right now (admittedly things can and do change quickly), in Massey's rankings of teams ... obviously omitting teams not of interest ...

NDSU

Northern Illinois

Northern Iowa

Sam Houston State

San Diego State

Wyoming

Montana

Georgia Southern

San Jose State

Minnesota

Bowling Green

Illinois State

Montana State

If UND plans to challenge for Big Sky titles against Montana and Montana State and wants to play with the big boys of FCS, yes, they should, dare I say must, be competitive with the FBS teams on their upcoming schedules.

Right now (admittedly things can and do change quickly), in Massey's rankings of teams ... obviously omitting teams not of interest ...

NDSU

Northern Illinois

Northern Iowa

Sam Houston State

San Diego State

Wyoming

Montana

Georgia Southern

San Jose State

Minnesota

Bowling Green

Illinois State

Montana State

If UND plans to challenge for Big Sky titles against Montana and Montana State and wants to play with the big boys of FCS, yes, they should, dare I say must, be competitive with the FBS teams on their upcoming schedules.

When is Minnesota going to be competitive with the FCS. :lol:

• Upvote 1

As much as it pains me to say it, given the fact they are the current national champions along with the fact that they have beaten multiple FBS teams regardless of which teams they are, NDSU has the right to gloat about said subjects.

What Sioux fan wouldn't be proud if we beat Minnesota, Kansas, or even Ball St.?

• Upvote 1

As much as it pains me to say it, given the fact they are the current national champions along with the fact that they have beaten multiple FBS teams regardless of which teams they are, NDSU has the right to gloat about said subjects.

What Sioux fan wouldn't be proud if we beat Minnesota, Kansas, or even Ball St.?

Proud yes but shoving it down the throat of a team that hasn't...why? Of course I have yet see them do this to SDSU.

I agree with you. They have accomplished a lot. I would like to see what they could do against an upper tier FBS team. If they won't schedule UND, we will just have to either finish higher than them in the playoffs, or even better, beat them in the playoffs. NDSU: great job so far....but we're comin! we're comin!

• Upvote 1

I agree with you. They have accomplished a lot. I would like to see what they could do against an upper tier FBS team. If they won't schedule UND, we will just have to either finish higher than them in the playoffs, or even better, beat them in the playoffs. NDSU: great job so far....but we're comin! we're comin!

That would be almost as sweet as winning it all..almost. ;)

I'd take the success ndsu has had vs. FBS and in FCS. You can't argue it. Why would they change it? Until we beat any FBS on our schedule, I won't comment on what they are doing. I think our coaching staff is taking this team the direction it needs to go and we will notch one of those wins soon.

• Upvote 1

I don't doubt the $800k figure at all, IIRC Montana was paid around $1 million plus expenses for traveling to Tennessee this year, so that seems to the approximate payoff for being served up to a killer in the first couple games of the year.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way of looking at this:

On one hand it's a great boost for your budget and gives your kids a chance to play against an elite squad and hopefully learn some things (and hopefully not get banged up too bad).

On the other hand you know going in you have zero chance of winning that game and it could hurt you at the end of the year by not having that win.

In the situations as they stand now, I think NDSU would be better suited to schedule a game like Oklahoma than UND, NDSU is going to get enough wins next year regardless of whether they take a payday game or not, UND is going to be hard-pressed to win the needed 7 games and couldn't afford the loss (unless it would replace the Mines game which has no bearing).

But either way I can't fault NDSU for turning down a game like that, when I heard the Griz were going to play Tennessee I wasn't really too thrilled.

I'd take the success ndsu has had vs. FBS and in FCS. You can't argue it. Why would they change it? Until we beat any FBS on our schedule, I won't comment on what they are doing. I think our coaching staff is taking this team the direction it needs to go and we will notch one of those wins soon.

You have some very winable FBS teams coming up. They tend to over look FCS teams. Play good defense, don't give them any easy points and be better or the same in special teams and a lot of FBS are within reach. It's when they score easy points on you that hurt the most and once they get ahead - well it can get ugly. Good defense with real good CS and Safety's is the key which are in short supply on most FCS teams.

I don't doubt the $800k figure at all, IIRC Montana was paid around $1 million plus expenses for traveling to Tennessee this year, so that seems to the approximate payoff for being served up to a killer in the first couple games of the year.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way of looking at this:

On one hand it's a great boost for your budget and gives your kids a chance to play against an elite squad and hopefully learn some things (and hopefully not get banged up too bad).

On the other hand you know going in you have zero chance of winning that game and it could hurt you at the end of the year by not having that win.

In the situations as they stand now, I think NDSU would be better suited to schedule a game like Oklahoma than UND, NDSU is going to get enough wins next year regardless of whether they take a payday game or not, UND is going to be hard-pressed to win the needed 7 games and couldn't afford the loss (unless it would replace the Mines game which has no bearing).

But either way I can't fault NDSU for turning down a game like that, when I heard the Griz were going to play Tennessee I wasn't really too thrilled.

No way 1 million - I think they did get over 400,000 which is the most I've heard of for a FCS team.

You have some very winable FBS teams coming up.

Yup, UND does. To me it's frustrating that UND is basically two plays (drop in the endzone v. NIU; any type of QB play on last drive v. Fresno State) from having two FBS wins.

Full disclosure: UND has a serious mental block inside the Kibbie Dome. :(

Yup, UND does. To me it's frustrating that UND is basically two plays (drop in the endzone v. NIU; any type of QB play on last drive v. Fresno State) from having two FBS wins.

Full disclosure: UND has a serious mental block inside the Kibbie Dome. :sad:

Yes they do, no clue why either. When we were up at halftime this year, I thought we had em for sure! They were a very very poor team this past year. With Enderle the year before, I expected a loss.

No way 1 million - I think they did get over 400,000 which is the most I've heard of for a FCS team.

Actually $500,000

http://missoulian.com/college/griz/article_20ba0c04-d2bf-11e0-bc8c-001cc4c03286.html

That's still a lot of money.

The payoff for the Tennessee football game this Saturday is $500,000 for the University of Montana, which is a bit less than the $650,000 collected for the Iowa game in 2006.

Appy State got huge publicity for years after beating Michigan and Cal Poly took UW to the woodshed for 4 qtrs. This just confirms my comments that Taylor/Bohl are just resume building and are really afraid to tackle an FBS team that has a recent winning history as other former NCC Dakota schools and even MVC schools have done. CSU should be an FCS program. Interesting to see if Taylor thinks he is ready to be AD at Minnesota with his ego and track record.

I think Gene would schedule Oklahoma but he isn't going to schedule two FBS opponents in the same year, you can do that in transition but not when playoffs are the focus. Plus Colorado State is a good regional opponent and there is no reason to go burning that bridge. I'm guessing if UND was playing excited CSU you would be excited, it would be a fun game for a lot of alumni.

Believe it or not when NDSU scheduled MN they were a bowl team and the same goes for Kansas. Iowa has been to a few bowls as well and they are on our future schedule. Gene can't predict the future, all he can do is line up future schedules.

I think Gene would schedule Oklahoma but he isn't going to schedule two FBS opponents in the same year, you can do that in transition but not when playoffs are the focus. Plus Colorado State is a good regional opponent and there is no reason to go burning that bridge. I'm guessing if UND was playing excited CSU you would be excited, it would be a fun game for a lot of alumni.

Believe it or not when NDSU scheduled MN they were a bowl team and the same goes for Kansas. Iowa has been to a few bowls as well and they are on our future schedule. Gene can't predict the future, all he can do is line up future schedules.

http://www.gobison.c...&ATCLID=3748982

Release: June 10, 2009

.--North Dakota State University football will play the Kansas Jayhawks at Memorial Field in Lawrence on Sept. 4, 2010, as the Jayhawks announced their non-conference schedule for 2010 today

KU was 5-7 in 2009.... 2008 was their bowl year against....Minnesota.

What would you think UND should do? Play winnable FBS teams (SJSU, Fresno, NIU) or play for exposure where there really is no shot at winning (TT, USC, Wisconsin, etc.)

Didn't UND beat TT? Oh thats right that one went in the moral victory column with all the other UND FBS wins.

Didn't UND beat TT? Oh thats right that one went in the moral victory column with all the other UND FBS wins.

Funny how Bison fans think all UND losses are moral victories..I never counted the moral victories in NDSU's 3 win season in 2009. Could that be EIGHT??

C'mon, a respectable loss to OU would be worth 10 times a victory over CSU for NDSU for national publicity. And do not tell me about how strong the Gophers are in FB. I have lived in the Twin Cities for over 40 years and believe me virtually no one cares here except the folks over 70 and the former players. Again, if you beat a big 12 or big 10 team that is over 50/50 give me a call. Until then be glad you have the FCS championship, it is well deserved, but certainly not worth the arrogant attitude NDSU folks project.

http://www.gobison.c...&ATCLID=3748982

Release: June 10, 2009

.--North Dakota State University football will play the Kansas Jayhawks at Memorial Field in Lawrence on Sept. 4, 2010, as the Jayhawks announced their non-conference schedule for 2010 today

KU was 5-7 in 2009.... 2008 was their bowl year against....Minnesota.

That game was scheduled during the 2009 NCAA basketball tournament, at the time Kansas had won back to back bowls(Orange and Insight). The 2009 season and eventual firing of their head coach happened after the game was scheduled

C'mon, a respectable loss to OU would be worth 10 times a victory over CSU for NDSU for national publicity. And do not tell me about how strong the Gophers are in FB. I have lived in the Twin Cities for over 40 years and believe me virtually no one cares here except the folks over 70 and the former players. Again, if you beat a big 12 or big 10 team that is over 50/50 give me a call. Until then be glad you have the FCS championship, it is well deserved, but certainly not worth the arrogant attitude NDSU folks project.

I'm sure it would generate way more publicity but we have a contract in place with CSU, like I said they are a regional opponent that we will want to continue playing.

All I said is that the Gophers were decent when we scheduled them, they weren't the embarrassment that Brewster later turned them into.

I'm sure it would generate way more publicity but we have a contract in place with CSU, like I said they are a regional opponent that we will want to continue playing.

All I said is that the Gophers were decent when we scheduled them, they weren't the embarrassment that Brewster later turned them into.

So, hypothetically, could you say that when FBS teams schedule NDSU, their programs go down the tubes?

What would you think UND should do? Play winnable FBS teams (SJSU, Fresno, NIU) or play for exposure where there really is no shot at winning (TT, USC, Wisconsin, etc.)

I would want UND to play Colorado State. It is a game within the Big Sky footprint andclose to many of our alumni.

• Upvote 1