SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. UNA

ramses

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GVSU leads Texas A&M Kingsville 7-3 in the 1st.

The Sioux had a nice series of grinding plays to cover the 20 yards. I'd say about 10 plays in the drive, keep their D on the field. One delay when they couldn't get the snap off changed a 3rd and G at the 5 to a 3rd and G at the 9. 27yd FG by Glas good. 9-0 Sioux.

UNA had an amazing long pass that set them up to score, probably the sweetest pass I've seen in Sioux games this year. The receiver (sorry, I didn't get his name) was awesome -- he was totally covered but just climbed over our guy to get the ball out of the air. We knew UNA would pull off a few of those big plays, so it's good that we're holding up well otherwise.

UND held well from 1st and G at the 9 to leave UNA with a field goal. 9-3 Sioux. We returned the kick to our 45 :silly:

It's 16-3 UND. UNA hasn't impressed me whatsoever. Everything i read said that this was an unbelieveable team that can't be stopped. Sure, they'er missing their top WR, but can he make that much difference? It's possible i guess. Still, this is clearly another case where southern football has been over-rated.

If we know this UND team, the second half will be a completely different game. That's what scares me.

If any team qualifies for the Yogiism, "it ain't over 'till it's over", this is the one. Nice that the defense is dominating so far, hope they keep it up.

It's 16-3 UND. UNA hasn't impressed me whatsoever. Everything i read said that this was an unbelieveable team that can't be stopped. Sure, they'er missing their top WR, but can he make that much difference? It's possible i guess. Still, this is clearly another case where southern football has been over-rated.

Or have the Sioux have just been underrated by Bison fans all season? This game is FAR from over (remember Winona a week ago, and UNA is a LOT more explosive), but if the Sioux win I look forward to this week's version of "the Sioux got lucky" and "UNA isn't really that good" spin :silly:

We need to keep running up the score while we're dominating, because we have their D pretty shaken right now; but I don't think it's going to last all 60 minutes. Count on the Lions getting one hell of a pep talk and the coaches making some big adjustments at half time.

One thing that gives me some hope over the long haul of the game is that the Sioux are dominating based on their size -- we're just overpowering the Lions. A few adjustments on their part could counter that advantage, but nothing will make it disappear entirely.

Size is paying dividends offensivelly, but I'm worried about our defense. They are playing great now, but I expect them to be better in the second half.

With yet another 3 and out by our defense, I wish we would've gone after that last field goal a little faster.

Except for the missed extra point, he's on target today.

It's worth noting that was a horrible snap and a botched hold by Bowenkamp.

Halftime. I can't shake the feeling the Lions are going to come out with a whole new game at the half. Hopefully the Sioux can make a statement early, similar to the first half, to keep the momentum.

Lakerfan-- I think I've actually seen why people think UNA has such a potent offense. No turnovers, they've had some beautiful passes, but the Sioux are just bigger and have read their plays well. Our pass coverage has been the best I've seen all year -- Hall is dropping 20+ yd passes right into receivers arms but our defense has broken them all up except one biggie. Their O line really can't contain our pass rush so far (again, the Sioux are just dominating the physical game so far), which is putting an insane amount of pressure on Hall; lots of plays resulting in lost yardage for the Lions.

All it would take would be a slight breakdown in our coverage or the Lions' offensive line buying an extra second for a lot of those passes to start becoming complete and the Lions running up a lot of points in a hurry. Half a game to go.

I think we are playing very well, but I also think everyone underestimated us.

Hard not to given the close games they've been in this year. Especially when it seemed that the NCC was down after the early season NC losses by several teams. Still, it's just a half a game.