SiouxSports.com Forum

Tradegy at MN high school game

WiSioux

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/High-school-hockey-player-paralyzed-after-hit-in?urn=highschool-wp10640

A 16 year old sophomore named Jack Jablonski, from

Benilde-St. Margaret's was paralyzed after a check from behind broke two bones in his lower neck. Thoughts and prayers go out to not only him and his family, but also those of the players that hit him.

Saw a piece on this story last nite on local Fox news. Tragic is an understatement. This kid's Dr. said she was concerned he hadn't made more progress since the accident. Kid's mother flat out said "we need a miracle". Doctors can only do what they can do, but as the bible states God is the great physician. A "miracle" can only happen through prayer...keep this kid in your prayers.

http://rivals.yahoo....hschool-wp10640

A 16 year old sophomore named Jack Jablonski, from

Benilde-St. Margaret's was paralyzed after a check from behind broke two bones in his lower neck. Thoughts and prayers go out to not only him and his family, but also those of the players that hit him.

I'm glad that you included the kid who checked him. How would any of us feel if we checked someone and this was the result. I think we would all feel devastated by it as adults. Imagine how a high school kid would feel and the guilt he will carry forever.

This maybe extreme but how about banning a player who gets a checking from behind penalty for a minimum of ten games and if flagrant for the season? If there are serious consequences for their actions it might help.

I believe some people mentioned that about college hockey as well...but the problem runs into what if its the last game of the season (or less than 10 left), does the kid become suspended for the start of the next season? How do you track this? I know that there are ways to do this, but in an office...things can get lost. What if the kid is a senior and it is the 2nd to last game of the season? Does that kid then get punished when he starts college or goes pro or plays juniors?

That said, I agree with you that there needs to be severe punishment for it...I just don't know what. Also, my prayers are with Jabby, his family, his teammates, his friends and those of the two players who hit him.

For those of you who are interested, his caring bridge site is under his name and open to public viewing.

I believe some people mentioned that about college hockey as well...but the problem runs into what if its the last game of the season (or less than 10 left), does the kid become suspended for the start of the next season? How do you track this? I know that there are ways to do this, but in an office...things can get lost. What if the kid is a senior and it is the 2nd to last game of the season? Does that kid then get punished when he starts college or goes pro or plays juniors?

That said, I agree with you that there needs to be severe punishment for it...I just don't know what. Also, my prayers are with Jabby, his family, his teammates, his friends and those of the two players who hit him.

For those of you who are interested, his caring bridge site is under his name and open to public viewing.

Great points on the what ifs. Then you could also ask, can you really punish the checker more than they are punishing themselves forever? The poor kid will live with this forever. I know and have known people who caused someone to get hurt like this, or worse, and a couple of them totally fell apart. As DaveK said it so well how you can't stop living because of what could happen.
  • Upvote 1

Teach. Teach. Teach.

Teach your players how to approach the boards while protecting themselves.

Teach your players that a hit from behind will not be tolerated by you.

Teach your players to respect their opponent and their safety.

And by "your players" I'm not just talking about coaches. I'm talking about parents, fans, officials, teammates, everyone.

I've said this before in other contexts:

The mistake concerns me. What you do after the mistake is what interests me and defines you.

This is a hockey community problem.

What are we going to do about it?

If you guys did not yet see this, Jack's family posted last night on the caringbridge site that his surgery to fuse the vertebrae was a success. However, it confirmed how bad his injury truely was. He has limited mobility and no movement in his lower body. He will not be able to walk or skate.

Also, per the caringbridge site...a fund has been set up at a Wells Fargo in St. Louis Park for his family. Below is the address and if you specify the fund, you can donate at any Wells Fargo evidently.

Jack Jablonski Fund

P.O. Box 16387

St. Louis Park, MN 55416-2618