SiouxSports.com Forum

Dear Gopher fans,

MoneyLine

I saw this online @ Crookstontimes.com it is exactly how the Gopher fans are acting.

http://www.crookstontimes.com/sports/x2128841858/Opinion-Dear-Gopher-fans

By Derek Martin, Sports Editor

Crookston Daily Times

CROOKSTON, Minn. —

"Sioux suck" or, as some clever folks like to put it, "Sue suck," is not an intelligent statement for many reasons.

It's like a six-year-old being pushed around by the school bully and coming back with "you're stupid." It doesn't really hurt the bully's feelings.

Besides, if anyone should be telling the Sioux they are inferior it's Minnesota Duluth, who is the reigning national champion. Not fans of a team who went 13-10-5 last season and were bounced from the postseason in the first round of the WCHA Playoffs by a team called the Seawolves. That “sucks.” Doesn't it?

Sioux fans don't know much about that since their squad has been to the Frozen Four five of the last seven seasons.

Plus, as I pointed out in my WCHA Weekly blog, North Dakota is 8-4-3 against Minnesota in the last 15 meetings.

Now, I know all you Gopher fans are geared up for this weekend's series and all the Sioux fans are too but just because your team is off to a 7-1 start doesn't give you the right to tell the Sioux they “suck.” Minnesota did sweep Minnesota Duluth on the road this season, but that is the only team it has beaten with a winning record. Gopher fans should be excited but until your squad beats a quality opponent you should stay as quiet as you were during the last few years when your team was losing.

Nobody blames you for getting excited about the start to your team's season, especially since they haven't even made the NCAA Tournament the last three seasons. With that long of a drought I would find a way to cheer about anything too. But tone down the Sioux bashing until after your team has swept them.

That's right, this Sioux fan, right here, thinks the Gophers will sweep the Sioux this weekend.

My reasoning is that the Sioux were recently shut out by St. Cloud State freshman goaltender Ryan Faragher with 44 saves. North Dakota is struggling offensively and defensively, scoring 2.75 goals per game and allowing 3.5 goals per game.

You won't hear "Gophers suck" from me because, right now, my team is struggling.

The Sioux will need to score more than three goals if they are going to beat the Gophers and that will be difficult against a very good goalie in Kent Patterson.

So, the Gophers will sweep the Sioux and fans of the Maroon and Gold will hold bragging rights. But with those bragging rights come taunts from Sioux fans such as, "Holy Cross, Holy Cross, Holy Cross."

Yeah, if he's not thinking "Gophers suck" then he's either not a passionate fan engaged in this rivalry, not been around college hockey, or just incredibly desperate for a topic to write about. There have been plenty of cheap shots going both ways this week, which I freely admit to being a part of. So I don't think one side can claim innocence on this one.

If you take away the taunts, you take away half the fun. As a Gopher Fan, I'd be offended if I did not hear the Holy Cross cheer. Yes it's dated, but it's in the spirit of the rivalry to bring up old wounds. Besides, I got thick skin and Gopher Pride to protect me.

... just because your team is off to a 7-1 start doesn't give you the right to tell the Sioux they “suck.”

Maybe not, but how about the Sioux's troubles this season with Tech allowing that?

And does this guy then go on to claim Holy Cross chants are okay? I don't know, seems a little strange to me.

Leave it to Scooby and Sicatoka to make me knock over my Snapple while laughing. :D

Maybe not, but how about the Sioux's troubles this season with Tech allowing that?

And does this guy then go on to claim Holy Cross chants are okay? I don't know, seems a little strange to me.

Leave it to Scooby and Sicatoka to make me knock over my Snapple while laughing. :D

What troubles with Tech are you talking about?

Now, I know all you Gopher fans are geared up for this weekend's series and all the Sioux fans are too but just because your team is off to a 7-1 start doesn't give you the right to tell the Sioux they “suck.”

No one needs the "right" to taunt - it's part of being a fan. :)