SiouxSports.com Forum

I could live with this

Fetch

Haga needs to stop stirring the pot with pieces like this. It gives the nickname armageddon crowd a rallying point.

I am a fan of UND, not just UND athletics. I don't want to blow up the whole university to keep a nickname.

Never thought I'd see the day that Fetch and the like would be using Chuck Haga and the Herald as an example for keeping the name. :huh:

Haga needs to stop stirring the pot with pieces like this. It gives the nickname armageddon crowd a rallying point.

I am a fan of UND, not just UND athletics. I don't want to blow up the whole university to keep a nickname.

I think that article did seem to be a bit of a pot stirring piece.

The Big Sky doesn't "need" to do anything. They, like UND, can do whatever they damn well please.

Uh, no they can't. The B.S. is made up of public institutions and UND is a public institution. If the B.S. won't admit UND or if public institutions won't play UND because of what it calls its teams, that has 1983 lawsuit written all over it. The anti-nickname episcopacy can carp all it wants in the safety of its gilded ivory tower but things get a little more complicated when they step out into reality.

• Upvote 1

Uh, no they can't. The B.S. is made up of public institutions and UND is a public institution. If the B.S. won't admit UND or if public institutions won't play UND because of what it calls its teams, that has 1983 lawsuit written all over it. The anti-nickname episcopacy can carp all it wants in the safety of its gilded ivory tower but things get a little more complicated when they step out into reality.

Please tell me you are kidding. Do you really think we could sue our way into the Big Sky Conference? Do you really think we could sue teams and force them to schedule us? What law is any of this nonsense based on? The Big Sky Conference has every right to decide which teams to include or not. Unless those reasons somehow violate Civil Rights laws (laws that protect people from racial or gender discrimination), there is no way you could force them to admit us as a member. And why would we want to join a conference under those circumstances anyway?

Just keep telling yourself all this nonsense if it makes you feel better, but I think you are the one that has lost touch with reality.

• Upvote 4

Great, let's use a backwater, do-nothing college as a "model" for keeping the Sioux name/logo. At this rate, these "save the nickname at any cost" clowns would have UND playing barber colleges and high school JV teams so they could cheer for their "beloved" Sioux. Never mind they don't give a damn about the school itself.

• Upvote 2

I know give the Name to Spirit Lake & they can let REA buy it for a AHL team to remain the Fighting Sioux - & UND can become the Spirit or Flickertails or RoughRiders or what ever they want & we will see which one is a sell out in a few years - I'm a Win / Win kinda guy :p

• Upvote 1

I know give the Name to Spirit Lake & they can let REA buy it for a AHL team to remain the Fighting Sioux - & UND can become the Spirit or Flickertails or RoughRiders or what ever they want & we will see which one is a sell out in a few years - I'm a Win / Win kinda guy :p

What color is the sky in your world?

• Upvote 3

Just keep telling yourself this nonsense if it makes you feel better, but it ain't gonna happen. I don't think an AHL team would want to come here; I don't know if we have enough people to support a minor league team full of players people know nothing about. I am also not sure if people would buy tickets for that many games year after year. This issue was decided the day the State of North Dakota signed that horrible legal agreement. I never would have signed it, but it's done and we can't go back in time to change it.

Control what you can control. This is completely out of our control.

• Upvote 2

Its the sioux for me no matter what bull-sh** name they come up with...its more than a name, its a belief of what the name stands for...some can give it away when the benefit to cost ratio is less than one, but others fight to keep it because its more than just a quick ratio or a situational awareness call...no ill will to others, just a statement of position.

BobIwabuchiFan

• Upvote 1

The questions you have to ask yourselves are:

Is it worth destroying a car to save the hood ornament?

Is it worth destroying a house to save the flamingos decorating the front lawn?

The nickname armageddon crowd would say yes to those questions. The pragmatists like myself would say no. And for the sake of our entire institution, I hope the ND Legislature says no to jumping off the cliff for no real benefit.

Riddle me this: If hockey isn't going to change, why'd Coach Hakstol tell the Wisconsin TV broadcast guy that North Dakota could play its fast, hard-nosed style with any moniker?

And better: Have you taken a close, close look at goalie masks worn by Dell, Eidsness, and Maris yet this year? Tell me what you do see. Tell me what you don't see.

I will be a North Dakota Hockey fan until I'm gone (and probably beyond). North Dakota has seven national title. North Dakota will get more.

• Upvote 4

So you're saying the Fighting Sioux nickname is the equivalent of flamingos on a front lawn? Hmmmmmm... you really do hate the nickname don't you? Is your real name Erich Longlie?

When the Sioux name and logo retire, are you still going to cheer for UND's teams? Or will you sink back into the woodwork?

• Upvote 2

UND did take the ice without the words Sioux and without a logo. Remember when Kendall Baker got rid of the Blackhawk logo. UND went with the generic North Dakota on the uniforms. No logo of any kind, and no Sioux on it. Did people quit showing up? Was there massive protests? NO!!