SiouxSports.com Forum

UNA

mustangfan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to offer NDSU fans some perspective. You took us to overtime, correct? If we beat UNA on Saturday, and make or win the NC, you can say that you lost to the D2 National Cahmps in OT and UCD, a D1-AA team. By us winning, it makes you look better. So make the trip up from the South and cheer the Sioux to victory!!!

GO SIOUUUUUXXXXX!!!!!

If UND could only muster a 7 pt win against Winona State I would say that the Sioux will get the SH*T blown out of them.  UNA seem in a league by themselves and will win the National Championship....

This is for all you childish bison fans (WYOBISONFAN), finally something you can relate to!

This little piggy went to the playoffs :) (insert sioux logo)

This little piggy stayed home :) (insert bison logo)

This little piggy had a nickel ;)

This little piggy had none ;)

And this little piggy cried wee wee wee...while sitting at home ???

Enjoy your offseason kids!

Back in the 1990's (I forget the year must have been 1994-1995-1996 somewhere in there) when UND was playing UNA in the semis, I remember UNA getting caught for giving something like 54 scholarships to their football players and they put on probabtion for cheating, this was the same year they won the NCAA division two crown. Anyone have any clue if this is the same coach this year that was coaching when UND played them.

;) I am a UNA fan and I don't remember UNA ever getting put on probation, but I may be wrong. I emailed the UNA sports information department and asked them, but have not received a response. I do know that this is not the same coach we had then, because Coach Bobby Wallace is now the coach at Temple University.

UNA Grad,

I hope it has nothing to do with what UNA has going on now, But Wallace ran a dirty program at UNA..something to do with illegally funneling money through the financial aid office to athletes that in effect created "extra"

scholarships---not sure how many as it was 9-10 years ago, but I seem to remember saying that the number of scholarships was equal too or greater than ALABAMA?;) Pretty sure they were put on probation and probably should have had their 3 National Titles stripped as they were certainly illigitimate.

;) I am a UNA fan and I don't remember UNA ever getting put on probation, but I may be wrong. I emailed the UNA sports information department and asked them, but have not received a response. I do know that this is not the same coach we had then, because Coach Bobby Wallace is now the coach at Temple University.

Pappa Joe Schvalle (spelling) had it on is show after they won the Division II NCAA title. Pappa Joe is pretty credible.

UNA Grad,

I hope it has nothing to do with what UNA has going on now, But Wallace ran a dirty program at UNA..something to do with illegally funneling money through the financial aid office to athletes that in effect created "extra"

scholarships---not sure how many as it was 9-10 years ago, but I seem to remember saying that the number of scholarships was equal too or greater than ALABAMA?;) Pretty sure they were put on probation and probably should have had their 3 National Titles stripped as they were certainly illigitimate.

??? You may be correct, but I don't remember it and it is not listed on the NCAA Infractions web page. I will try to research it more myself, but would appreciate a link that verified these accusations. I can assure you that UNA never had as many scholarships as Alabama, and if it was true UNA never did anything that even remotely compared to The University of Alabama

O.K. The UNA sports information director just emailed me back. This is what he said:

"No, UNA has never been on NCAA probation.

The incidents that are being discussed happened from 1989-91 and

involved the financial aid office.

In 1992 UNA self imposed a three scholarship reduction on the football

program while the financial aid situation was being reviewed. UNA won

all three national championships with three LESS scholarships than the

NCAA limit. The catch is that it wasnt until after the 1995

championship that the NCAA finally ruled that there was no will-ful

violation and that UNA' self-imposed penalties more than covered the

over-awardings from previous years."

O.K. The UNA sports information director just emailed me back. This is what he said:

"No, UNA has never been on NCAA probation.

The incidents that are being discussed happened from 1989-91 and

involved the financial aid office.

In 1992 UNA self imposed a three scholarship reduction on the football

program while the financial aid situation was being reviewed. UNA won

all three national championships with three LESS scholarships than the

NCAA limit. The catch is that it wasnt until after the 1995

championship that the NCAA finally ruled that there was no will-ful

violation and that UNA' self-imposed penalties more than covered the

over-awardings from previous years."

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the work UNAGRAD. The sports info dir. is making it almost sound like a clerical error. I wonder how many "extra scholarships" were actually given during that time.

I'd like to hear some real insight on UNA. I don't want the Lion tinted view either. Be objective. What type of offense and defense do you guys run? Are your special teams good? What can we expect to see (or in my case follow up on later) during this game. I don't need to hear about speed either. I'm sure you're fast, but it's already getting overhyped. UC Davis came in during 2001 saying the same thing and lost. And they had a Harlen Hill finalist.

We aren't as good as in 2001, but we do win. Kind of a bend but don't break defense. I get the feeling that turnovers and special teams will decide this game. If we can get some interceptions, we'll be fine. Our offense can do whatever it needs to for a win, but likes to stall. I don't think this football team has played at a high level for a full game yet.

I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I'll try to give y'all a look at what to expect.

On offense, UNA runs mostly out of the shotgun, with a "superback" lining up next to the quarterback, along with four wide receivers. Although you would think this would lead to us being a pass-happy team, the stats indicate that UNA has been very balanced on offense. I think I read that we average 199 yards a game on the ground. We have two very capable running backs in DeMarcus Blount and Randy Vickers. Our quaterback, Will Hall, leads the nation in passing efficiency. He has shattered almost every UNA passing record. He also has two tall receivers to throw it to, in Martin Huggins and David Mooneyham.

On defense, first year defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt installed a 3-3-5 defense that helped turn one of the worst defenses in the Gulf South Conference last year, into the league's best D this year. They are small, but yes, fast. They love to hit you.

Special teams have been solid as well. Kicker/punter Travis Johnston has been very reliable. We've also developed a good kick returner in Anthony Merritt, who returned a kick 93 yards for a TD in the West Georgia game and has numerous other long returns.

It's hard to give you an analysis of the team without wearing purple and gold tinted glasses, but maybe that halped some. I'm just so proud of the team this year, as the entire community is.

Should be a great game Saturday, I personally can't wait. Good luck to your team.

Go Lions!

Chris H.

Florence, AL

Thanks for the info Chris.

Would you say this team needs the run to set up the pass or the other way around?

I'm guessing most teams in your league pass and that is why you play five dbacks. Do you blitz a lot? I'm thinking our running game might do some damage to that defense even if they are fast. Overpursuing hurts defenses.

Your passing attack scares me. If you're in shotgun, there is less pressure that we can put on the QB. Plus our db's like to play off the receiver. Our defense is always tough against the run, but a few teams have broken long ones against us. I'm thinking our offense will need to ball control and use up the clock to keep your offense off the field.

Anyone else see way to many similarities between this season and 2001. Beat Winona and Pitt St. at home and then face another Harlon Hill finalist who likes to run out of the shotgun again at the Alerus Center. GVSU is again playing in the other semi-final game.

Let's hope the outcome is the same. ;)

I would say that the UNA offense passes first to set up the run, but Coach Hudspeth has been very good with adjusting the gameplan to counter the opponent's D. You will just as often see the Lions run a deep post on first down as a draw from the shotgun. UNA also likes to run the option from the shotgun, and will either line up with an extra superback or tight end Ches Dye to act as a lead blocker. It's an offense that has been very successful for us.

The GSC has a good mix when it comes to the offenses teams use. Southern Arkansas runs the triple option, yet we held them to only 14 points in our first meeting. In the first round of the playoffs we held them to only seventy odd yards rushing. So UNA is formidable against the run. At the same time you have a team like Valdosta State, who loves to pass. We held them to only 10 points. We blitz occasionally, but mostly use a "read and react" type of D, as I've heard it called. The five DB set obviously works good against passing teams. They will play like linebackers against the run, though. They are not afraid to hit you.

If you have any more questions, just let me know. What should we expect from UND?

Go Lions!

Chris H.

FLorence, AL

Our offense will pull anything out at any opportunity. I know they are not afraid to pass the ball, but they will also run at you at any time. Sometimes they pass on 1st down, then run on 3rd. The next time, it might be the opposite. As the other guy said, we have a very balanced offense. However, our passing attack can pull big plays off at any time. My best advice (like a coach would listen) would be to guard against the big pass play. That's a key of our game. Will Hall is incredible, and he has pulled some stuff off that I could not believe to fathom. Now, he is not infallible, but he is talented. The last game we played, Carson Newman, ran the triple option. Our defense, in the 3-3-5, let them run, however, they are very good at making the other team force things, and then make mistakes. That would be something else I would guard against.

Anyway, that's about the most I can add. It should be a very good game; I'm looking forward to it.

here is the scarey thing abut UNA t me.....they run a lot of shotgun...if they get the Winona St. tape....they will see their WR run 7 yard stops and kill us...with a receiver #85 who is not all that fast...if they have some speed on the outside..could be very scarey for UND defense...we will need to tackle well....very well....maybe the best we have all year......if UNA runs the option out of the shotgun more than they pass...that will help UND...UND has always since the early 90's prepped well for the option....just a few thoughts on the game.....GO SIOUX....lets get another NATTY......

It was posted that the Lions defense is small, but fast, and likes to hit. Is this the case with the defensive line, as well as the LBs and secondary?

My point being, that our O-Line is pretty powerful, and our running game has been getting some good yards lately in A. Roland... maybe this game won't be as lopsided as some might think? :)

What does UND do and what would they prefer to do are two different answers.

What they do: Everything from two back, two TEs to five-wide, depending on the situation. When they find what works or is working that day they (normally) stick with it.

What they'd prefer (or maybe I'd prefer): Two TEs and a third TE on the wing with 12 handing the ball to 5 as 47 leads him into the A-gap into the secondary, and first down. (Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.)

Tell me about UNA's size on the lines (offensive and defensive).

I would say that the UNA offense passes first to set up the run, but Coach Hudspeth has been very good with adjusting the gameplan to counter the opponent's D. You will just as often see the Lions run a deep post on first down as a draw from the shotgun. UNA also likes to run the option from the shotgun, and will either line up with an extra superback or tight end Ches Dye to act as a lead blocker. It's an offense that has been very successful for us.

The GSC has a good mix when it comes to the offenses teams use. Southern Arkansas runs the triple option, yet we held them to only 14 points in our first meeting. In the first round of the playoffs we held them to only seventy odd yards rushing. So UNA is formidable against the run. At the same time you have a team like Valdosta State, who loves to pass. We held them to only 10 points. We blitz occasionally, but mostly use a "read and react" type of D, as I've heard it called. The five DB set obviously works good against passing teams. They will play like linebackers against the run, though. They are not afraid to hit you.

If you have any more questions, just let me know. What should we expect from UND?

Go Lions!

Chris H.

FLorence, AL

Didn't Hudspeth used to be at Delta State?

I believe I was one who said that the UNA defense is small. I was really comparing them to Division I teams, I suppose. Compared to other DII teams, we may be average. Here's a look at UNA's starting 11 on D...

DE Patrick Craig 6'3" 240

DT Jonathan Taylor 6'3" 310

DE Skipper Best 6'4" 280

LB Courtney Wright 6'0" 205

LB Harold Wisdom 5'11" 220

LB Donald Tharpe 5'10" 205

R Jay Snipes 5'10" 180

CB Blake Farris 6'0" 195

CB Evan Oglesby 6'0" 180

FS Lacy Hill 6-0" 160

SS Terrance Walden 6'2" 205

Are they small? Maybe it's just a matter of opinion. I'm used to watching SEC games, so when you go to a DII game and see these guys, they do look small. They've got the job done for us though, and that's all that matters. How do they compare to the Sioux?

Go Lions!

Chris H.

Florence, AL

Didn't Hudspeth used to be at Delta State?

Yes, Coach Hudspeth was the offensive coordinator for their championship team a few years ago (2000?) that broke all sorts of offensive records. I believe they scored 63 in the championship game.

Coach Hud also spent a year as offensive coordinator for Navy until he came to UNA in 2002, his first head coaching position. Incredibly, UNA only went 4-7 last year, which shows the great job this coaching staff has done this year. I'm afraid we won't have Hudspeth for very long, but I'm hoping we can get in another 3-peat before he leaves!

Expect the Sioux to either get so far behind that you think the game is over, then UNA collapses and the Sioux come back; or the Sioux to get so far ahead that you think the game is over, then they collapse and allow UNA to come back.

Seriously, though -- the Sioux have done a fair job of adjusting to the opponents' D this season. Against zone pass rushes (such as NDSUs), the Sioux effectively used short outside screen passes (ask Sioux fans about the dreaded "bubble") to force open field tackles by their weak corners. The Sioux tend to get a lot more yards through the air than the run, though the attempts are really about split; against our weaker run-defending conference opponents like Mankato and USD, there was a lot more running, of course. Against Winona, we had some success with slightly longer passes because there wasn't much open on the inside. Like Sicatoka said, there doesn't seem to be single favorite formation.

The Sioux tend to stop the run better than the pass (Pitt St. being a notable exception). UND will definitely try to burn your corners with big receivers on some long plays, though they're also prone to give up a few of those. Frankly, I'd expect to see a number of mid-long passes from the Sioux offense in this game, though any actual speed differential between UNA and the Sioux could change that. Like UNA, the Sioux have had some success in the playoffs by forcing mistakes.