SiouxSports.com Forum

UNA

mustangfan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North Alabama.  There is no way UND can win this is there?

That's why they play the games on the field instead of just hand the trophy to the team that ends the season #1, there's always a chance.

No doubt UNA is the toughest opponent UND has faced all season; UNA will be heavily favored and UND will be a tremendous underdog. I have to think the game will be in Florence, which will favor UNA even more.

UND has been able to step it up and play with favored opponents all year (Mesa St., NDSU, UNO), but none of those teams proved to be as good as the Lions so there's no real metric to determine to just what level the Sioux can "step it up". I just hope the Sioux can bring their "A" game and put forth their best effort next week, and then it will be tough to complain, win or lose.

Back in the 1990's (I forget the year must have been 1994-1995-1996 somewhere in there) when UND was playing UNA in the semis, I remember UNA getting caught for giving something like 54 scholarships to their football players and they put on probabtion for cheating, this was the same year they won the NCAA division two crown. Anyone have any clue if this is the same coach this year that was coaching when UND played them.

http://www2.una.edu/athletics/Lion%20Footb...nship_years.htm

Here is the link to their web page it was 1993-1995. I am not sure but I think it was in 1995 when they discovered that UNA was running a dirty program. Now UNA is 12-0 and has a new coach who was 4-7 last season. I would imagine that UND is fast and loaded with talent that will have the UND defensive back field back pedeling as soon as they get off of the Charter.

I realize this is my first post, but even though I wonder why there is so much disbelief in what the Sioux have done this year? If they win one at the end of the game, maybe it is luck. Two at the end of the game, still maybe luck. Three, maybe they are doing something right. Four and above, it shouldn't be questioned anymore. Something needs to be said about having the right people in the right place at the right time. A team doesn't continually do that based on luck. Perhaps credit should be given where it is due. Sure, Winona shouldn't have been allowed to come back today, and they should be given all the credit in the world, but the Fighting Sioux don't run up a record like they have based on luck (as most "Scream Yellow" fans would have you think). I'm so sick of hearing that from them. You're Bison, deal with it.

I realize this is my first post, but even though I wonder why there is so much disbelief in what the Sioux have done this year?  If they win one at the end of the game, maybe it is luck.  ...  Perhaps credit should be given where it is due.

The disbelief generally comes only from those who desperately wish the Sioux were a bad team; it's tough to criticize UND's record (conference sweep) or post-season success (national semifinals!) so the only criticism they can come up with is that UND's wins weren't flashy or dominating enough. UND may lose eventually, but we're still watching our Sioux play while those people are are sitting at home checking the scores each week, hoping that loss finally comes.

I'm incredibly impressed by this team and the way they've won their games this year. An early season loss to unheard of Mesa State was worrisome, though in hindsight our only regular season loss came in OT to the #1 West seed! This team has done what it takes to win, no more, but no less. Today when it seemed like everything was going against us, they could've been disheartened and given up, but the defense still made big plays and the offense made a big play when it was needed most to lock in the win. As I said in the thread I started, the defense and special teams have been huge contributors in the playoffs -- the whole team has combined to do what it takes to win.

Many of us have given the Sioux their due this year with predictions like how well the Sioux receivers would match up against the Bison's weak corners (when the weekly derision about how the Sioux were "lucky" and would be "exposed next weekend" was much louder); I just don't know enough about Northern Alabama (yet) to make an intelligent analysis of how we match up. I do acknowledge that UNA seems to be our toughest opponent yet, but we could be one of their most formidable challengers, so we're kind of entering the unknown.

Who cares if our wins weren't pretty? As long as the team does what it takes to win and wins...that's all that matters. Remember tOSU last year. Almost lost a number of times, including Cincinatti. The fact is good teams ALWAYS find a way to win. tOSU did and it got them a NC. So our only loss was in OT against Mesa State. Remember what happened last time our only loss was in OT against a playoff team....National Champions!!! ;)

Oh no somebody should inform the NDSU fans that the WSU vs UND game was scrolled at the bottom of ESPN. ;)

Oh I am sorry where is NDSUck playing this week. Oh thats right they didn't make it again this season. Get used to looking in from the outside.

I echo Jim's statement as well as MNS' statement. A win is a win is a win. A point is a point is a point. If the Sioux beat UNA 21 to 20 or 44-3, is it that big of a difference? Is the "W" in the UND's column straighter? Capitol W surely instead of the lower case w that would be there if they won by less than a touchdown.

Nope. Still a win.

Let's put it another way. Say UND DOES get their helmets handed to them vs UNA. What would happen? Nothing. I'd still be happy with UND's season. They swept the conference! They were the best team out of any team ranked below UNA. They made it to the semifinals. I'm damn proud of them for making it this far.

I hope they make it but I'm just proud to be a UND fan right now.

GO SIOUX!

I echo Jim's statement as well as MNS' statement. A win is a win is a win. A point is a point is a point. If the Sioux beat UNA 21 to 20 or 44-3, is it that big of a difference? Is the "W" in the UND's column straighter? Capitol W surely instead of the lower case w that would be there if they won by less than a touchdown.

Nope. Still a win.

Let's put it another way. Say UND DOES get their helmets handed to them vs UNA. What would happen? Nothing. I'd still be happy with UND's season. They swept the conference! They were the best team out of any team ranked below UNA. They made it to the semifinals. I'm damn proud of them for making it this far.

I hope they make it but I'm just proud to be a UND fan right now.

GO SIOUX!

I would tell any nay sayer that knock our teams that our lucky exposed team went further than anyone else in the midwest region.

Just like in hockey I have always said that a goal is a goal, hell id take 100 chessy, lucky no skill goals over ten pretty ones any days. Same with football. Even when UND was down I knew they would come back they have done it all season. Why not today. I would go as far to say if UND played WSU 10 times they would win 9 games. The defense needs to play good next weekend or we are going to be in trouble though...

"But UND played such a weak schedule." Well, that really doesn't matter now. People don't realize that a playing a brutal schedule doesn't necessarily mean success. In hoops, Syracuse always plays one of the weaker schedules, and they cut down the nets last year. Right now, UND playing a "weak" schedule looks pretty good. The naysayers can insert foot in mouth now. ;)???:)

If UND could only muster a 7 pt win against Winona State I would say that the Sioux will get the SH*T blown out of them. UNA seem in a league by themselves and will win the National Championship....

UNA is coming to our house! I'm not saying we'll win but we'll give them a good show and hopefully a little payback for screwing us in the mid-90's. You guys bitch all the time about (the LAST time you went anywhere in the "pitiful" DII playoffs...whenever that was...) having to play on "kitty litter" at Delta State - hey - both teams had to play on that and THEY won. (Kind of a familiar tune for you guys the last several years...WAH WAH...I hear..."if we..."...or "they got a break..." My thought is... If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts you guys would still bitch!! We went to UNA for the playoffs and they "FORGOT" they actually had 50+ total scholarships when we played them. NOW THAT'S A REASON TO BITCH!!! Now that they're coming here...call everyone you know and get a ticket!! This game will be on TV but who CARES!! Let's pack the place and repay the Sioux for all the great memories you've given us this season!! HEY - Even you Bison jerks are welcome...we know you don't have anything going on anyway!!!!!

UND has won 9 of the last 12 meetings. Just for clarification. Maybe UND will have to move up to Division one to continue beating NDSU...

Actually it's 10 of the last 13. UND won in '93, '94 (twice), '95, '96, '98, '99, '01, '02 and '03. NDSU won the playoff game in '95, and the '97 and '00 games.

It looks like the Sioux need to prepare for a Doug Flutie-type quarterback. UNA qb Will Hall is just 5'8", 184 pounds but completes 70% of his passes and has thrown 25 td's. Unfortunately for us, UNA looks like a short passing team, and that's been the kind of team we have the most trouble with. Couple that with the fact that they will likely have by far the best speed of any team the Sioux have faced in a long time.

To the extent there's any good news here, it's that both of UNA's close games this year have been on the road. They won by seven points at both Southern Arkansas and Valdosta St. I doubt they've played on artificial turf this year, and if we can get a good crowd, I doubt they'll have played in as loud of an environment as the Alerus can be. But there's no question UND will have to play its absolute best football to have any sort of chance to win. It's been awhile since UND has been a big underdog at home, so it should be interesting. We can't ask for anything more than a shot at the top-ranked remaining team in our house.

There has been a lot of discussion here and non of it good for the Sioux. Apparently UNA has the speed and the passing ability, which plays to our weaknesses. I have a hard time believing that people have had time enough to compare the two teams to throw in the towel.

We can only do our part in fill in the stands. I want a packed house. Anyone complaining that there is nothing to do in Grand Forks has to be crazy. I am going to do my best to get as many people to go to this game. Will have to let the coaches do their part and we will have to do our part and fill the stands.

This is a much friendlier venue than D2football.com message board ;)

There has been a lot of discussion here and non of it good for the Sioux.  Apparently UNA has the speed and the passing ability, which plays to our weaknesses.  I have a hard time believing that people have had time enough to compare the two teams to throw in the towel.

We can only do our part in fill in the stands.  I want a packed house.  Anyone complaining that there is nothing to do in Grand Forks has to be crazy.  I am going to do my best to get as many people to go to this game.  Will have to let the coaches do their part and we will have to do our part and fill the stands.

This is a much friendlier venue than D2football.com message board  ;)

Throw in the towel? No. Acknowledge that the Sioux are the underdog? Yes. If the Sioux would have played the second half like they did the first half yesterday, then I would probably be a lot more optimistic about our chances next Saturday. But because UND looked pretty poor for almost the entire second half, it's human nature to be skeptical about our chances against a team likely far superior to Winona St. But no matter what happens next week, it has been a very good season.

Oh I agree the Sioux are the Underdog. Heck they were the underdog in most of the NCC games we played this year. We have a coaching staff that I trust will implement the necessary changes to allow the Sioux to be in the position to win next weekend. I like the fact that people don't respect our abilities. I like the other team coming in overconfident.