SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Youth Hockey Assoc.

PhillySioux

Bill Palmiscino of GF Park District was on WDAZ last night on this topic. Right now GF has 3 seperate organizations running youth hockey; GF Park District, GF Blues, and GF Supras. USA Hockey model only allows for one. He likened it to the NCAA in that the association has its rules and if you want to belong you have to go by their rules. Other USA Hockey communities potentially would not schedule with GF. The 3 groups will need to combine in order to belong to USA Hockey.

From what i hear some of the grand forks hockey parents want their kids on the blues/supras to theirkids can travel/get more ice time then jsut playing park board. they made a huge fuss about it from my understanding. the blues/supras parents didnt want the kids that qoute unqoute arent able to play hockey good enough on their team or they didnt have a grand forks last name/grand forks money.

From what i hear some of the grand forks hockey parents want their kids on the blues/supras to theirkids can travel/get more ice time then jsut playing park board. they made a huge fuss about it from my understanding. the blues/supras parents didnt want the kids that qoute unqoute arent able to play hockey good enough on their team or they didnt have a grand forks last name/grand forks money.

Is it for the kids or the parents status and social life?

Not sure what precludes Moorhead youth hockey from scheduling GF teams.

The ADM is a (the??) development model within USA Hockey. http://www.usahockey.com/adm/

I don't know either, I was referencing this:

Bill Palmiscino of GF Park District was on WDAZ last night on this topic. Right now GF has 3 seperate organizations running youth hockey; GF Park District, GF Blues, and GF Supras. USA Hockey model only allows for one. He likened it to the NCAA in that the association has its rules and if you want to belong you have to go by their rules. Other USA Hockey communities potentially would not schedule with GF. Other The 3 groups will need to combine in order to belong to USA Hockey

When has youth athletics ever been for the kids?

When I was a kid we went to the park on bikes for baseball, no parents. Walked to the rink for hockey, outside no parents. Walked to a different park for YMCA flag football, np parents. This was in the 70's. Let's look at some past D1 players from Grand Forks. Mike Lamoine, no travelling teams. Dean Barsness, no traveling teams. Tim Loven, no traveling teams. Denver Dave Hanson, no traveling teams.

The new generation of parents have really started to make a bad name for youth sports. I got a relative that played some hockey and he really enjoyed it, but when your 11 or 12, having a 6 month season playing 40-50 games can take the fun out of any sport. His parents weren't super gung-ho and told him if it wasn't fun to even play anymore that he could quit.

I'm not against having traveling teams, those are fine, some parents just seem to be too tough on their kids when it comes to that sort of thing. Hockey dads generally get a really bad rap, but other sports do it as well.

The new generation of parents have really started to make a bad name for youth sports. I got a relative that played some hockey and he really enjoyed it, but when your 11 or 12, having a 6 month season playing 40-50 games can take the fun out of any sport. His parents weren't super gung-ho and told him if it wasn't fun to even play anymore that he could quit.

I'm not against having traveling teams, those are fine, some parents just seem to be too tough on their kids when it comes to that sort of thing. Hockey dads generally get a really bad rap, but other sports do it as well.

Yeah, it's getting bad. The 5-9 260 lb. dad and 5-2 180 lb. mom think little Timmy is going to somehow have the athletic genetics to earn a scholarship coupled with the "my kid can do no wrong" attitude and kids growing up being coddled and believing they are entitled to everything they want(see the Occupy ___________street idiots).

Yeah, it's getting bad. The 5-9 260 lb. dad and 5-2 180 lb. mom think little Timmy is going to somehow have the athletic genetics to earn a scholarship coupled with the "my kid can do no wrong" attitude and kids growing up being coddled and believing they are entitled to everything they want(see the Occupy ___________street idiots).

How true can a post get.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Checked out the new ICON Sports Center this evening.  An awesome facility of which Grand Forks should rightfully be proud.

So, the first hockey season in the new arena wrapped up yesterday with the GF Classic.  ICON has hosted several tournaments drawing teams from all over, and countless games and practices for the locals, greatly easing the burden on existing facilities.

I have been impressed.  Any other thoughts or experiences?