SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Next year they'll get their only FBS offer from the Big Sky!

Can just hear the gnashing of teeth in Fargo!

Or. With Missouri State going to the Sunbelt and Youngstown State going to an east coast conference, the new UND president wonders out loud about being in the Big Sky. Faison and Douple do kissy huggy and the UND Roughriders are in the Summit/MVFC.

Did not realize that Faison had a couple MVFC ties (stints at Indiana State and Illinois State).

Or. With Missouri State going to the Sunbelt and Youngstown State going to an east coast conference, the new UND president wonders out loud about being in the Big Sky. Faison and Douple do kissy huggy and the UND Roughriders are in the Summit/MVFC.

Did not realize that Faison had a couple MVFC ties (stints at Indiana State and Illinois State).

How many football schools does the Summit currently have?

Faison and Douple do kissy huggy ...

I think my mind's eye just went blind. 

I do believe Fullerton and the BSC have a long range plan. I won't claim to know what it is. (I do have my beliefs and suspicions.) I believe UND is on-board with the BSC plan. 

• Upvote 1

My plan is to become fabulously independently wealthy by winning the PowerBall.

My plan and the PowerBall haven't seen eye to eye yet, and probably never will. 

When talking about Fullerton's plan and the Dakother 3, the answer to your question is probably very similar to my PowerBall plan (it's someone's plan, but will it happen). 

My plan is to become fabulously independently wealthy by winning the PowerBall.

My plan and the PowerBall haven't seen eye to eye yet, and probably never will. 

When talking about Fullerton's plan and the Dakother 3, the answer to your question is probably very similar to my PowerBall plan (it's someone's plan, but will it happen). 

This is GREAT Sic!  thanks for the laugh this am.

For the record, I play Meg-Millions too and havent cashed in on either of them yet.

I would like to know some of your actual thoughts on what the BSC plans are.  I think it is possible that they try to bring in the other three Dakota schools, it just makes sense.  I know the NCAA isnt done with all the moving around of conferences. The FCOA is going to really force changes.  I think if the BSC wants to be relevant, they are going to have to change and probably grow as well.

NDSU should have not done the BSA remodel, but saved it to build a new FB stadium, and used the FargoDome for basketball if there was any hope for FBS from a larger conference.

Just as I believe it was a waste for REA to build the Betty.  They should have saved that money and used it to build UND a real DI basketball facility later down the road.  

(I know I know...they needed it for the World Juniors.  It was still very short-sighted in my opinion.)

I would like to know some of your actual thoughts on what the BSC plans are. 

Most of my thoughts are based on reading what Doug Fullerton has said publicly to the media. Be sure to read those chronologically from starting at January 2013 through the present. You can see his position transform, ending at ... 

Here’s the real kicker when it comes to the straight-talking Fullerton: He has this idea to cut the next big crises off at the pass by dividing the ever-growing Big Sky into two leagues – one playing football on the FBS level and one in the FCS. The unprecedented move would appease the ambitious and solve some ongoing Big Sky scheduling problems in multiple sports.

“Last time I put it out there it was uncomfortable because the presidents in the room, they’re thinking, ‘That means you stay in the FCS, you go to FBS,’” Fullerton said. “That was uncomfortable for them. But I have to get them past that. I do.”

To do that I think you'd need at least 8 FCS and at least 8 FBS schools (and some rule changes at the NCAA level*). The BSC is 12 for BB, 14 for FCS FB. 

Just as I believe it was a waste for REA to build the Betty.  They should have saved that money and used it to build UND a real DI basketball facility later down the road.  

(I know I know...they needed it for the World Juniors.  It was still very short-sighted in my opinion.)

At least our waste was only $10 mill. Their wastE was nearly $40 mill.

Most of my thoughts are based on reading what Doug Fullerton has said publicly to the media. Be sure to read those chronologically from starting at January 2013 through the present. You can see his position transform, ending at ...

To do that I think you'd need at least 8 FCS and at least 8 FBS schools (and some rule changes at the NCAA level*). The BSC is 12 for BB, 14 for FCS FB.

The Big Sky only needs six for an FCS autobid and two more non football to split into FCS and FBS conferences. But splitting means seven schools have to be together for seven years in the new conference (like the Big East did with the American).

SiouxVolley what's the timeline look like in the near future for possible BSC splits and FBS move ups? I know Fullerton said something about this a while ago but any news on a possible year we could see some movement? Also I think it's before the 2019 season that UND's contract with the Alerus is up so could UND be brainstorming on a new stadium (or a Memorial Stadium upgrade)?

SiouxVolley what's the timeline look like in the near future for possible BSC splits and FBS move ups? I know Fullerton said something about this a while ago but any news on a possible year we could see some movement? Also I think it's before the 2019 season that UND's contract with the Alerus is up so could UND be brainstorming on a new stadium (or a Memorial Stadium upgrade)?

Idaho and NMSU will be in the Belt through the 2017 football season. After the '15 season, they will be notified that they will be kicked out after the '17 season.

So for Idaho and maybe NMSU, they could use an FBS Big Sky starting 2018. 2019 is the year that UND would need at least 15k seats per an FBS transition, if it so chooses. When Idaho gets notice after this season the Belt is kicking them out, suspect the Sky will spring into action.

Idaho and NMSU will be in the Belt through the 2017 football season. After the '15 season, they will be notified that they will be kicked out after the '17 season.

So for Idaho and maybe NMSU, they could use an FBS Big Sky starting 2018. 2019 is the year that UND would need at least 15k seats per an FBS transition, if it so chooses. When Idaho gets notice after this season the Belt is kicking them out, suspect the Sky will spring into action.

If the NCAA removes the 15k rule you will see a mass exodus of teams moving up. With that rule UND would need an upgrade Memorial Stadium or a new stadium of course money would be the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2015/07/university_of_akron_students_f.html

Akron drops baseball. The MAC used to require baseball, but they must have changed that. Will make it easier for MAC schools to start lax or hockey. Akron doesn't have a decent hockey arena, as the city dumped a plan to build an arena, so maybe they start lax.

Still looking for Buffalo to start hockey.

Can you read?! Akron has no money! They are not adding lax...

LetS go real slow here.

First, Akron has a large IPF, one of the largest. http://cdn87.psbin.com/img/mw=300/mh=225/cr=n/d=kdjuj/zde1pygw1jy3ni4t.jpg

Second, Akron has a power men's soccer program, as it won a national championship recently.

Third, lax is the perfect spring sport to complement soccer, as they require almost the same exact facilities. Baseball has different needs.

Fourth, lax can actually make money for Akron U general funds, but not athletic funds. How? As most lax players are out of state, they pay much higher tuition, which is only discounted about 20% for scholarships. Many private schools look at lacrosse as a money making adventure just from the tuition aspect, even at DI. Baseball would have more in state players and a lower squad size.

Fifth, Akron wants to rebrand itself Ohio Polytechnic to emphasize it's STEM heritage and differentiate itself from Kent St, Bowling Green, Ohio U, etc. Adding lax would be part of that rebrand, as lax is viewed as having upper crust academic athletes.

Sixth, Detroit U, Cleveland St, and Michigan have recently added the sport, so travel wouldn't be nearly as bad as in the recent past.

Would think Akron has already given serious thought to adding lax, but in a years time when all the ruckus over budget and baseball cuts are over,

PR Rule #1 is to give all bad news at once, and even slip in a few things you want to see changed anyway, as the time is perfect to slip in a few discretionary cuts and make them look like there were absolutely needed. If Akron wanted to drop baseball, but did it separately, a fundraising drive would occur.

I have to admit, in the Akron press release "215 job cuts" is the headline. That's the one the greater community is worried about. "Dropping baseball" becomes a footnote in that press release. That does align to the notion of Volley's "PR Rule #1". 

Better link to U of Akron's ITF: http://www.gozips.com/athletics/facilities/stile

• Downvote 1

One more thought: I like that Akron is rebranding as "Ohio's Polytechnic University". To this point Akron was just another MAC school; now, they have something differentiating. 

I believe Missouri-Rolla rebranded as Missouri Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) recently and it was a good thing for them. 

Tar Heel and Cavalier alumni don't want the B1G or the SEC, so it won't be easy to get them. The SEC wants them too, as well as Oklahoma. Va Tech and NCSU can be prizes too, but if they end up in the SEC, UNC and UVA will be forever second class football teams in the states. If the Big 12 can score FSU and Clemson, that might start a domino effect destroying the ACC.

KU and OU are both known to want the B1G, but they have to make sure their State partner finds a good landing spot. The Big 12 is in a serious heap of trouble if either of them go, and OU is unhappy that the Big 12 couldn't agree on Cincy and a 12th team.