SiouxSports.com Forum

Missing UND student

WPoS

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read something a few days ago in the Herald saying that search efforts would resume now that most of the snow has melted. There's still quite a bit of snow in the ditches and shelter belts, which makes searching those areas difficult.

I read something a few days ago in the Herald saying that search efforts would resume now that most of the snow has melted. There's still quite a bit of snow in the ditches and shelter belts, which makes searching those areas difficult.

Although it sickens me to think about it, with the local river levels how they are and the current flow rate... well, you get the picture.

Something that was once maybe in the river, probably has been carried with the current. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

They had the press conference on CNN. They couldn't really talk about how/where Dru was found, as the investigation is still ongoing. Dru's father made a brief appearance and thanked searchers and law enforcement.

Just a very sad day. :D;)

Drew Wrigley and Tom Heffelfinger were present at today's news conference. They are the US Attorneys for North Dakota and Minnesota, respectively. This has led to speculation that the Feds will be taking over the prosecution of this case. If this happens, the death penalty is a possibility..(probability)..upon conviction. The kidnapping charge is what brings this into federal jurisdiction, according to the media outlets I've been following. Maybe some of our attorneys that frequent the board can shed some more light on that.

My guess would be do to whatever "Crime" was committed, that crossing a State line could easily bring it into the federal courts, be it Kidnapping, Murder, or Dumping. Also, a small possiability is that she could have been found on Federal lands as well. There was a case a while back in Michigan where a guy killed and dumped a girl's body on Federal land here in Michigan and the case went to Federal court. If memory serves me, they where going for death but I think the guy made a deal and only got life. At least her body has been found, and now here family can put her spirit to rest, and start to move on in grieving for her.

Love from Laker Land.

Now they don't know when the press conference will happen, if at all. If that is the case, why does WDAZ bother to cut into the hockey game? They had nothing new to say, and only repeated what they said before. To me that was totally stupid. :D

There are more important things then hockey. It is not WDAZ's fault that the press conference did not start when they were told that it would. And you did not miss anything...

My guess would be do to whatever "Crime" was committed, that crossing a State line could easily bring it into the federal courts, be it Kidnapping, Murder, or Dumping. Also, a small possiability is that she could have been found on Federal lands as well. There was a case a while back in Michigan where a guy killed and dumped a girl's body on Federal land here in Michigan and the case went to Federal court. If memory serves me, they where going for death but I think the guy made a deal and only got life. At least her body has been found, and now here family can put her spirit to rest, and start to move on in grieving for her.

Love from Laker Land.

It has already been stated that if the body was found in MN that Rodreguez could be charged in Federal court. That is good, that way they can give him the death penalty!

There are more important things then hockey. It is not WDAZ's fault that the press conference did not start when they were told that it would. And you did not miss anything...

Hey, I'm not trying to sound insensitive. But what did anyone gain out of them cutting in? They had already gave out that same information. They looked very uncomfortable, and unprofessional, because they didn't even know what to talk about. They could have put the message on the bottom that the press conference was postponed. And I missed the end of the series. They could have waited 10 minutes to tell me they didn't have any new information. :D

Unfortunately...the reason you have a press conference is to announce something...WDAZ had no idea what they would be saying - so your complaint would best be directed to the Polk County Sheriffs Department. I'm sure they'd be glad to receive your complaint about missing part of a HOCKEY GAME because the local TV station did what everyone expected them to do and carry a press conference on a very important news item LIVE - regardless of the content or lack thereof - again - 'DAZ had no idea what to expect. Law enforcement doesn't generally brief the media on the potential content a press conference like this before the event - THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE THE PRESS CONFERENCE. Did you live? Survive missing 15-20 minutes or so of your hockey game? I hope it didn't affect your life too much...Sure you're pissed but a family received confirmation of their worst nightmare today and frankly, my thoughts were with them rather than worrying about the outcome of a stupid game...I don't mean to sound like a jerk but your post just tripped something off that I had to type out. No hard feelings...

Statement From UND President Charles Kupchella About Dru Sjodin

All of us at the University of North Dakota are deeply saddened to learn that our worst fears about Dru Sjodin's disappearance are now confirmed. This is a tragedy that makes words and expressions woefully inadequate. The impact upon our campus is profound, exceeded only by the impact on Dru's family. Our prayers are with Dru's family, and with her many friends within and beyond our University community. I would also like to express my deepest appreciation for all of the help and support offered by thousands of individuals on and off campus to Dru's family and her many freinds at UND during this difficult period.

Learning the news yesterday immediately brought back the sad, horrible thoughts I'm sure we've all had about how it must have been for Dru during her last moments. I pray for all of you, and for all of her other friends and family, so that you can all somehow find peace after enduring this tragedy.

Today's Boston Globe's headline about finding Dru was: "Body of missing student Sjodin is found in N.D. Ditch." I assume that is a mistake since even the article itself (the Globe ran an AP article by Dave Kolpack) sounds like the body was found in a ditch near Crookston in Minnesota ("near a road northwest of Crookston"). That's correct, right? The Globe should know of their mistake.

How very very sad.

I wish people would think and not respond with emotions. I have no problem with WDAZ cutting in for the press conference. However, they cut in when there was no press conference. I also don't think it was going to inform any family and friends. I am sure they were already searching, already contacted, or already saw when they cut in the first time. I'm just saying I thought it was handled poorly. If they cut in and had the press conference, it wouldn't have been an issue. I guess some people just need a lot more closure than I do.

I assume that is a mistake since even the article itself (the Globe ran an AP article by Dave Kolpack) sounds like the body was found in a ditch near Crookston in Minnesota ("near a road northwest of Crookston"). That's correct, right?

Correct

I wish people would think and not respond with emotions. I have no problem with WDAZ cutting in for the press conference. However, they cut in when there was no press conference. I also don't think it was going to inform any family and friends. I am sure they were already searching, already contacted, or already saw when they cut in the first time. I'm just saying I thought it was handled poorly. If they cut in and had the press conference, it wouldn't have been an issue. I guess some people just need a lot more closure than I do.

It makes me mad to even see that someone THOUGHT that. The only think I can say is - put yourself in that families shoes. Their daughter died at a time when she didn't have too. Yes, WDAZ looked uncomfortable - but they were informing the public. So what about a hockey game. I love hockey - but someones life is much more important, even if they just gave info you already knew. I missed the first news bulletin, and I turned on the TV just to catch the second one. Sorry, but it makes me mad someone said that.

Tonight's remembrance of Dru was full of students in the Memorial Union Ballroom. It was pretty short. A few of her friends talked, there were a few prayers, a few poems, and some pictures of her. Afterwards everyone was given a candle to walk to the sorority house. They were left on the front step. Unfortunately it was windy and some blew out already. Otherwise you might want to drive by tonight to see it.