SiouxSports.com Forum

Missing UND student

WPoS

Bolter

This is the TRF level 3 - his crime was basically statutory rape - victim was between 13-15 yrs old. Note he was only 18 when the crime occurred. Also note he was sent to Oak Park, they only send inmates that cannot be contained in other facilities or inmates that committed particularly bad acts. I had the displeasure of working there a few weeks, about 35% are serving life sentences; over 60% are in for murder. They don't send 18 year old rapists to this place unless they did something else, my guess he caused problems at the medium or minimum security prisons and refused to go through sex offender "treatment".

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By no means am I a member of the ACLU much less president, but I think moderation in stance is the key. If we jump to extremes at every opportunity, we're belittling our Constitution and everything else we stand for here in the U.S.

I mean, if every suspect arrested is guilty, we might as well say that every Muslim is a terrorist and start mass deportations.

I don't like this guy as much as you all do, but I'm not ready to hang him yet. Not until some word of Dru surfaces and we at least have closure.

Dru first, scumbag last.

You know, I've seen this guy and I now know his history, but I ask you, where's Dru? This guy is a great target because of his history and we've already declared him guilty. What if he really didn't do it? I mean, he may have been stalking Dru, but that's not the issue. She's still missing.

This morning I went to Odegaard Hall and I saw a sign that I hope someone took down. It called for this guy's castration. I mean, yeah, sex crimes are awful and sex offenders aren't good people, but since when are we like African nations who mutilate their own citizens? If he's guilty, he gets life in prison. Or some other form of suitable punishment, but mutilation isn't the answer. You cannot declare him guilty before the evidence is found proclaiming the claim as truth.

They've arrested a suspect. Good. But they haven't arrested the kidnapper unless Dru is found. Remember that.

Au contraire...if he was stalking her...it IS the issue. If he was stalking her, chances are he also abducted her. Obviously, I believe he should get a fair trial. The police seem pretty convinced that this is the guy. And it is possible that they can arrest the kidnapper without finding Dru. This situation won't be over until she is found.

As to your question, "Where's Dru?" If I knew that we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Perhaps it's takcy to mention this, but I'm certain that the state's attorney is considering the possibility that he might have to prosecute Rodriguez without a body. This is probably why law enforcement is being so tight-lipped when it comes to releasing information.

I'm very curious about what penalties he might receive. I'm guessing Minnesota couldn't charge anything unless they find her there. So if they don't have a body what is the max penalty?

Just curiou, but does ND have the death penalty? What about MN? I guess I've never heard of it in either state.

Minnesota....No. I don't think North Dakota does either...but, I'm not sure.

Neither state presently has the death penalty. However, Gov Pawlenty is using this tragedy to push for its enactment in Minnesota. If the feds decide to prosecute the perpetrator, it is possible there are provisions under federal law for the death penalty.

Perhaps it's takcy to mention this, but I'm certain that the state's attorney is considering the possibility that he might have to prosecute Rodriguez without a body. This is probably why law enforcement is being so tight-lipped when it comes to releasing information.

PCM, I agree wtih you. That has to be why they are tight-lipped about the investigation, and also why they are getting desperate to find her.

They just had the Department of Corrections Commisioner on WCCO Radio. She said civil commitment was not an option with Rodriguez guy as he was convicted under the law in effect at the time. The judge set his release date at May of 2003 and there was little they could do even though they had some concerns about him.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforkshe...ion/7408800.htm

This article is for those who believe the police and prosecutors need to allow the public to see some of the evidence.

Hey CRR,

What do you think of that? I guess I am not sure, myself. If the police suspect an accomplice, which seems unlikely at this point, I can see the point of withholding information. But if they think he acted alone, then I agree with the guy who wrote the article. Let's look at it this way, in practical terms: If Rodriguez does have an accomplice, then Dru could very well still be alive, because that person might still be holding her. If he did not have one, the chances of her being alive are slim... God, I am still holding out on the hope they can find her alive.

My primary concern at this point is that if Rodriguez did this, then every effort must be made to make certain that he stays locked up for the rest of his life. I don't want to see him set free on a legal technicality. If that means withholding information for a while, it doesn't bother me.

On Roanoke.com: Express defenseman Tim O'Connell's friend, Dru Sjodin, is missing in North Dakota.

http://www1.roanoke.com/sports/hockey/10894.html

"At 6-foot-4, 210-pounds, Roanoke Express defenseman Tim O'Connell can handle being body-checked into the boards. Losing a friend, though, is much harder.

..O'Connell met Sjodin through mutual friends from the University of North Dakota. They later worked together at a local watering hole, O'Connell as a bartender and Sjodin as a waitress."

On Roanoke.com: Express defenseman Tim O'Connell's friend, Dru Sjodin, is missing in North Dakota.

http://www1.roanoke.com/sports/hockey/10894.html

"At 6-foot-4, 210-pounds, Roanoke Express defenseman Tim O'Connell can handle being body-checked into the boards. Losing a friend, though, is much harder.

..O'Connell met Sjodin through mutual friends from the University of North Dakota. They later worked together at a local watering hole, O'Connell as a bartender and Sjodin as a waitress."

wow, it really does affect a wide array of people across this country.