SiouxSports.com Forum

Missing UND student

WPoS

Kidnapping is indeed a felony under state law. Taking a person across state lines during said kidnapping is also a violation of federal law. Taking a female across state lines for "immoral" or "illegal" purposes violates the Mann Act. I also believe that there are a number of newer federal death penalty provisions attached to those crimes too, in the event the worst has happened. :):)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the Minneapolis Star Tribune's Web site:

What the law says: Level III Sex Offenders

Published December 2, 2003

A Level III sex offender is determined to be at the highest risk of all

predatory offenders for reoffending. They are required to register when they

move, and authorities distribute information about such offenders throughout

the communities or neighborhoods where they live. That includes holding

public meetings about the notification process, the registration of

offenders and information about the Level III offender.

Information about the specific offender is also released -- including a

general area of residence, a description of the offender and a description

of the offender's past behavior. This disclosure does not apply to an

offender in a licensed residential facility where staff members are trained

to manage sexual offenders, nor does it apply to offenders in secure

hospitals operated by the Department of Human Services.

Source: Minnesota Department of Corrections.

I'm listening to the news conference live now. If they say anything new, I'll post it here.

The GF County state's attorney said that they can't discuss any evidence or any specifics about the case.

Sounds like nothing new is going to come out of this. :)

The state's attorney says the focus right now is on finding Dru Sjodin.

They are asking for 1,000 volunteers to search on Wednesday. Registration is at 7:30 a.m. at Engelstad Arena.

They are also asking property owners in Grand Forks and Polk counties to check their land.

Police say that they've gotten more tips since the picture of Alfonso Rodriguez was released.

You know, I've seen this guy and I now know his history, but I ask you, where's Dru? This guy is a great target because of his history and we've already declared him guilty. What if he really didn't do it? I mean, he may have been stalking Dru, but that's not the issue. She's still missing.

This morning I went to Odegaard Hall and I saw a sign that I hope someone took down. It called for this guy's castration. I mean, yeah, sex crimes are awful and sex offenders aren't good people, but since when are we like African nations who mutilate their own citizens? If he's guilty, he gets life in prison. Or some other form of suitable punishment, but mutilation isn't the answer. You cannot declare him guilty before the evidence is found proclaiming the claim as truth.

They've arrested a suspect. Good. But they haven't arrested the kidnapper unless Dru is found. Remember that.

They've arrested a suspect. Good. But they haven't arrested the kidnapper unless Dru is found. Remember that.

Depending on the evidence, it's possible he could be convicted of kidnapping with no body ever being found. If they have good evidence that he was in her car or she was in his car, they have a good case. Also, now that people know what the person looks like, the possibility of eyewitnesses putting him in the area at the time of Dru's disappearence adds to the evidence.

But you're right. He is innocent until proven guilty.

You've got to be kidding me. They made us wait, saying they weren't going to discuss anything until now, and then say nothing?

I'd hoped that they'd have more information, but I'm not surprised that they're not saying more because it's an ongoing investigation.

Dru is part of Gamma Phi-- we are making ribbons as fast as we can-- if anyone wants to make your own its just pink and white ribbon--pink for Drus fav. color and white for hope! They are also giving out buttons. Please please please keep helping out in searches, looking around when you go places just for ANYTHING that might help out. We are very optimistic she is alive. And we wait with hope-- come home Dru!!!

You know, I've seen this guy and I now know his history, but I ask you, where's Dru? This guy is a great target because of his history and we've already declared him guilty. What if he really didn't do it? I mean, he may have been stalking Dru, but that's not the issue. She's still missing.

This morning I went to Odegaard Hall and I saw a sign that I hope someone took down. It called for this guy's castration. I mean, yeah, sex crimes are awful and sex offenders aren't good people, but since when are we like African nations who mutilate their own citizens? If he's guilty, he gets life in prison. Or some other form of suitable punishment, but mutilation isn't the answer. You cannot declare him guilty before the evidence is found proclaiming the claim as truth.

President of the North Dakota ACLU?:)?

I'd hoped that they'd have more information, but I'm not surprised that they're not saying more because it's an ongoing investigation.

I can see why they don't want to release any information, but that press conference was a joke. They didn't even say anything and refused to answer almost all of the questions. They want the help of the public, but don't want to tell us anything.

I mean, yeah, sex crimes are awful and sex offenders aren't good people, but since when are we like African nations who mutilate their own citizens?

I wonder how many cases of aggrevated sexual assault they have in such places... I would venture a guess of "less."

The arrest of this suspect is huge. Since his arrest and the release of his photo more tips have come in -- one which was mentioned on the radio from an e-mail went that alledgedly a woman walking to her car at the Columbia Mall noticed a person similar to the suspect sitting in the passenger side of a vehicle, she assumed that he was just another "mall husband" waiting for his wife/or the like to come out from the mall, but after seeing his picture that mundane incident flashed through her mind ..... now I'm not going to say that this is the absolute truth since it is definitely 3rd hand info, but, there is a good chance that the incoming tips could give some valuable insight and/or additional clues.

I, for one, am totally satisfied with the press conference.

1) warrant was issued, suspect arrested, suspect has a record for crimes which are similar to Dru's dissappearance

2) charged with kidnapping, in ND the victim does not need to be produced in order to prosecute the defendant

3) there was enough evidence to find probable cause so an warrant could be issued

4) it isn't known if the suspect has an attorney

All the other information which would be "interesting"/"intriguing" to find out is not information which the public needs. I'm totally confident that the family knows more than the general public. The State's Attorney/police don't want to give the defendant ANY possible chance to find a loop-hole for his defense. There was enough info from which to read between the lines.

I think the message they were trying to get across with the news conference was that the search for Dru was ongoing and that they still need everyone's help. Not releasing any specifics on a crime this serious is fairly standard.

The generic information that was released at the press conference could be enough to jog the memories/recollections of more potential witnesses -- too much specific information released and the coming forward of potential witnesses could allow the defense team to suggest that the potential witnesses became "confused" and/or were influenced by official police statments.

People calling in to the radio are asking "what kind of car was he driving" -- I would hope they don't release that at this point, rather, anyone who thinks "maybe I did see this guy" would call the authorities and say I think I saw that guy in this type of car in this color in the Columbia Mall parking lot ..... if the officials received half a dozen calls which describe a similar car that would be a lot more credible in court rather than a dozen calls describing a car which the police have already released a description of.

The TV news reported that the SIQ lawyered-up days ago, before he'd talk to any authorities. (I'm comfortable with SIQ because of his Level 3 status and record.)

So who's Dru's advocate and where does she file her defense and appeals for whatever may have happened to her?

So who's Dru's advocate and where does she file her defense and appeals for whatever may have happened to her?

Thank you Sica -- that is the most frustrating, horrible truth that nobody (read: legislature, legal system) seems to address. I guess because the legal system fails in that regard the only answer I can think of is "us". Only through the average Joe/Josephine reporting tips, searching, praying and offering support, pressuring legislature(s) for changes in both the victim's rights and in defendent's rights does Dru have her advocates - but that is poor, cold comfort. It is so hard to fathom that this guy receives all these protections because he decided to harm Dru. There is something seriously wrong with that.

I hadn't heard that the SIQ had an attorney. It was mentioned on the radio by Mike Mc. that he received a call from an attorney (type) and informed that he should be careful what he says in regards to the suspect/situation/circumstances.

They have their suspect.

The SIQ* has no record of lethal force to his victims.

Well, I've now heard the third and second best things I could ask for so far. I'm hoping they don't disappoint me at 1100 hours.

* SIQ - scumbag in question

Well, they didn't disappoint me, but they didn't give me the best thing I could ask for either.

Level III sex offenders don't deserve to be walking the streets - period. This guy hasen't been convicted of a crime in this case yet but it still doesn't justify his release to function in society. I'm sorry maybe my views on people like this tend to be archaic but someone with a track record like his should be behind bars until they perish.