SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I guess it will be okay for EWU and the Bobcats to run UND out of their own building then. After Saturdays debacle I don't see any "should beat" teams on the schedule.

I would hope Idaho St. is a "should beat" team...after that I'm with you.

I guess it will be okay for EWU and the Bobcats to run UND out of their own building then. After Saturdays debacle I don't see any "should beat" teams on the schedule.

Stay tuned Bro. After the Idaho blowout people couldn't see another win coming. Then, UND goes on the road to Fresno State and loses by 5. Same thing the previous year with Northern Illinois.

Things change week to week, opponent to opponent. MSU is going to be a good game. EWU, probably not.

This team is not winning 7 games. I know that but football changes week to week and if there is anything we have learned about UND its that they are very inconsistent. They could blow out a decent Big Sky team, then get killed by the same level team the next week.

Stay tuned Bro. After the Idaho blowout people couldn't see another win coming. Then, UND goes on the road to Fresno State and loses by 5. Same thing the previous year with Northern Illinois.

Things change week to week, opponent to opponent. MSU is going to be a good game. EWU, probably not.

So we can expect the team to go "toe to toe" with MSU next week?

• Upvote 1

Man, I hope he doesn't say that again. :silly:

I am down on the team/program like everyone else. I just don't like the blanket statements that they are going to lose to every team that is not a complete bottom feeder because it isn't true. History has shown that. I completely understand all negativity and I was about as negative as anybody on Saturday night.

There are eight games left - Enjoy the Season (Mike Tice voice) and call for heads later.

Well, I got news for you: we aren't beating the big boys. So we might as well focus on trying to beat teams 4-13 in the Big Sky because 1-3 are too good. Then once they start beating the teams they should, that is when they can jump up and try to pick somebody off.

Teams 1-3? We lost to NAU at home last year, I see less of a shot of winning that one on the road. Portland State? It took record performances (at that time) to beat their freshman QB in our place by one score!

Everyone on here wants the same thing. How to fire the ego maniac muss. One probably should start a campaign. By calling the. A Ds Office and say how disappointed the coaching has been. And if they can build a multi million dollar practice field One should afford a very good D1 coach not a high school coach

Everyone on here wants the same thing. How to fire the ego maniac muss. One probably should start a campaign. By calling the. A Ds Office and say how disappointed the coaching has been. And if they can build a multi million dollar practice field One should afford a very good D1 coach not a high school coach

MSU is the vulnerable team out of the top 3. That game is next. We can actually win that one since they don't have their qb and didn't look so hot vs a d2 team.

We agree again. Again call it impatient, but I really wish it wasn't, "we can win because their qb is down."

Regardless of that impatience and my obvious expressed frustration, I think it's important to state that most likely I am making the drive from Williston and will cheer them on. Granted, I could easily get disgruntled again, but it should be more competitive than last week. That is mainly what I am asking for. I understand its unreasonable to run the table on SDSU, the Griz, Bobcats, and EWU at this point in time, but competitiveness would be appreciated.

My whole frustration stems from a sincere belief that a great coach doesn't get his tail whipped with his own guys. His horse is always at least in the race.

Teams 1-3? We lost to NAU at home last year, I see less of a shot of winning that one on the road. Portland State? It took record performances (at that time) to beat their freshman QB in our place by one score!

What part of what I said doesn't make sense?

Focus on teams 4-13. Team #4 (NAU) beat UND by 7 points last year. UND beat Portland State, SUU and Sac State. Lost to UNC. UND was #8 preseason, which means they should be able to play with teams around them in rankings, as they sit now.

I always love that one.

MSU played last week coming off the devastation that their QB is out for a while and playing a team they knew they would beat. Was a perfect storm for them not to play well. Their back-up QB is no Bradley! This will be closer than the Griz game but still don't see a win coming in.

What part of what I said doesn't make sense?

Focus on teams 4-13. Team #4 (NAU) beat UND by 7 points last year. UND beat Portland State, SUU and Sac State. Lost to UNC. UND was #8 preseason, which means they should be able to play with teams around them in rankings, as they sit now.

The part where the focus is 4-13 rather than 6-13.

The athletes might not be there yet to compete with the top teams in FCS, but it is the lack of discipline, and what appears sometimes to be a lack of effort, that is real troubling.

I can buy that "we don't have the needed talent in all areas yet", but damn it! Play smart, hard, and don't be dancing and laughing on the sideline while you are down 30+.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why we are not a top 10 team. If you feel the guys on the team are close to mutiny, why are you against calling for Muss to be fired?

We are not a top 10 team because we are just out of our transition and most if not all teams don't win NCs first few years out of transition - I think expectations of the fan base are ridiculously out of whack with the reality of the team's talent level and commitment of the University and Fan base - to blame all of this on Muss is small minded. You don't think the football team doesn't read the comments on this site or others showing the negativity from the 'so-called fans' of the program? You don't think that we as a fan base don't hold some responsibility for out of whack expectations? The truth is we all hated NDSU jumping to DI and we are jealous of their success...Naturally, people want what they have and when its not on their time schedule most of us are on this page venting on student atheletes and coaches. Trying to keep a team together because they are not what they thought they were...this is a scary moment for the program and the for the kids who are on this team. I have no doubt the coaching staff is going to talk to them and try to rally them because I'm sure they felt they have let the fans down...reality is that we have set too high a bar for this team (look back at our expectations that they should knock off at least 2 or 3 of these teams in the first 5 games- I saw multiple postings mentioning this) and when a team loses badly you don't move the bar even higher unless you want the team to disengage/mutiny to your goals for the year. Lastly, firing muss or even talking about it now does nothing for this football team...you will not get a decent coach to come into this program at this point in the season and you will be stuck with someone from the current staff that realizes their job is temporary - how well do you think that is going to work for your expectations for a playoff season or keeping any recruits or current members on the team?

• Upvote 2

So what would everyone's opinion be if we:

A. Beat MSU, @ISU, but get wasted at home vs EWU?

B. beat MSU, @ ISU but lose a close one to EWU

C. Blown out by both MSU, EWU, but beat ISU

D. Beaten by all 3 no matter if its close or not

E. Beat all 3 and be 3-0 in the BSC.

I say in scenario A and B let the season play out whether to fire Muss; scenario C and D fire Muss after the EWU game, and scenario E Muss keeps his job for another year.

We are not a top 10 team because we are just out of our transition and most if not all teams don't win NCs first few years out of transition - I think expectations of the fan base are ridiculously out of whack with the reality of the team's talent level and commitment of the University and Fan base - to blame all of this on Muss is small minded. You don't think the football team doesn't read the comments on this site or others showing the negativity from the 'so-called fans' of the program? You don't think that we as a fan base don't hold some responsibility for out of whack expectations? The truth is we all hated NDSU jumping to DI and we are jealous of their success...Naturally, people want what they have and when its not on their time schedule most of us are on this page venting on student atheletes and coaches. Trying to keep a team together because they are not what they thought they were...this is a scary moment for the program and the for the kids who are on this team. I have no doubt the coaching staff is going to talk to them and try to rally them because I'm sure they felt they have let the fans down...reality is that we have set too high a bar for this team (look back at our expectations that they should knock off at least 2 or 3 of these teams in the first 5 games- I saw multiple postings mentioning this) and when a team loses badly you don't move the bar even higher unless you want the team to disengage/mutiny to your goals for the year. Lastly, firing muss or even talking about it now does nothing for this football team...you will not get a decent coach to come into this program at this point in the season and you will be stuck with someone from the current staff that realizes their job is temporary - how well do you think that is going to work for your expectations for a playoff season or keeping any recruits or current members on the team?

We aren't jealous of NDSU we want muss fired because our team hasn't been this consistantly bad since the 1980's when RT had to rescue the team from destruction that was the Pat Behrns era. muss hasn't beaten more than 5 DI teams in a season he has coached for 5 years and 1 month into this season. It took Thomas 8 to reach 10 wins, do you see UND getting 10 wins by 2015? Not with Mussman.

• Upvote 1

It's not just that we got beat by a better team or that we still have a ways to go in our transtition. We got absolutely pounded in our own house in Mussman's 6th year. We got pounded in part because of undiciplined penalties (again) blown coverages, arm tackling, and total lack of line play. Add to this the sideline clowning and Muss's press conference and you have a real cluster. It's not we played a hard, smart game and just got beat by superior talent. If the Sioux nation is happy with this kind of program then get ready for a lost decade or more of Sioux football while the team to the south wins championships.

• Upvote 4

It's not just that we got beat by a better team or that we still have a ways to go in our transtition. We got absolutely pounded in our own house in Mussman's 6th year. We got pounded in part because of undiciplined penalties (again) blown coverages, arm tackling, and total lack of line play. Add to this the sideline clowning and Muss's press conference and you have a real cluster. It's not we played a hard, smart game and just got beat by superior talent. If the Sioux nation is happy with this kind of program then get ready for a lost decade or more of Sioux football while the team to the south wins championships.

Well said.

So what would everyone's opinion be if we:

A. Beat MSU, @ISU, but get wasted at home vs EWU?

B. beat MSU, @ ISU but lose a close one to EWU

C. Blown out by both MSU, EWU, but beat ISU

D. Beaten by all 3 no matter if its close or not

E. Beat all 3 and be 3-0 in the BSC.

I say in scenario A and B let the season play out whether to fire Muss; scenario C and D fire Muss after the EWU game, and scenario E Muss keeps his job for another year.

Mussman won't be fired midseason (for more than one reasons) regardless of what happens the rest of the year so it doesn't really matter.