SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Hey, if Faison can land him I'll be the first one there with balloons and confetti.

I guess that comment should be aimed at Faison and Kelley and not you. This is where the rubber meets the road. Mussman hasn't earned a $250K+ salary, but if we want to build this program the right way, that is the salary range that a new coach will command (whether it's Tibesar or someone else). I am very anxious to find out what they decide after the season.

And lets be honest, nobody posting on this message board has a real clue as to what is going on with the coaching staff or with the players in the locker room.

Quite true, but I don't don't have a real clue as to what is going on in a sick person's sinuses, but when I see a runny nose and sneezing, I have a pretty freaking good idea what the problem is.

NFL position coaches average in the mid-$300's....so can we please just stop it with the Tibesar nonsense?

True again. If anyone here wants to go to their wife and sell a 30% pay cut, you are a better man. Everyone advocating Tibesar taking that type of pay cut to come to UND should stop and quantify what financial loss like that would do to your daily life. Tibesar makes a good living, but he isn't set for life.

Quite true, but I don't don't have a real clue as to what is going on in a sick person's sinuses, but when I see a runny nose and sneezing, I have a pretty freaking good idea what the problem is.

True again. If anyone here wants to go to their wife and sell a 30% pay cut, you are a better man. Everyone advocating Tibesar taking that type of pay cut to come to UND should stop and quantify what financial loss like that would do to your daily life. Tibesar makes a good living, but he isn't set for life.

But would you know the cause of the runny nose?

But would you know the cause of the runny nose?

There's a virus which if infecting otherwise healthy cells, with it's own viral RNA, causing those otherwise healthy cells to perform improperly.

Do I need to point out whom is the virus in this analogy pulling the team and the program astray over the last several years?

There's a virus which if infecting otherwise healthy cells, with it's own viral RNA, causing those otherwise healthy cells to perform improperly.

Do I need to point out whom is the virus in this analogy pulling the team and the program astray over the last several years?

But what if it's a pollen allergy?

First, we really don't know what Tibesar makes, but let's say it is $300k. How far does that get you in a city like Chicago compared to one-third less in a city like GF? What about the costs of housing, for example? Taxes in Illinois vs. North Dakota? There are a lot of factors in play. I don't think it's as clear cut as you might think.

First, we really don't know what Tibesar makes, but let's say it is $300k. How far does that get you in a city like Chicago compared to one-third less in a city like GF? What about the costs of housing, for example? Taxes in Illinois vs. North Dakota? There are a lot of factors in play. I don't think it's as clear cut as you might think.

When Lennon moved on, I sent an e-mail to Tibesar encouraging him to apply for the job. He sent back a nice note, indicating that he thought the decision had already been made, etc. He thanked me for my interest in his returning to UND and said something about the great experience he had playing and coaching at UND. He certainly didn't say either way whether he would consider coming back for the right offer.

Obviously, that was almost seven years ago - I have no idea how he would look at this today. I think it gets down to what his goals are - a head coaching job in the NFL is one-heck of a carrot but he is smart enough to know there are only 32 of those jobs available. If he would like to be a head coach at his alma mater (and maybe move up the college ranks from there), I agree with 92,96 - I don't think a little smaller paycheck would be a big issue. I would think some enticements like a bonus for attendance, making the playoffs, winning the Big Sky, etc. would make the job more appealing.

In addition, the title and power of a head coach title can be very enticing. Also if he would like to be a head coach in FBS or NFL football one day he will need to gain head coaching experience someplace.

I would think some enticements like a bonus for attendance, making the playoffs, winning the Big Sky, etc. would make the job more appealing.

I would hope that the next coaching contract, to whomever it may be, will be very much tied to bonuses like this. The other thing that others have mentioned is that the pool of money for assistant coaches is going to have to be bumped up as well.

Agree to disagree on that.

It's simple and complex, how about that for confusing. It's simple in the regard that if you do certain things well it will almost always lead to success on the field. For example, being the more physically dominant team will usually win and I think NDSU is a pretty good example of this.

It is also very complex because the amount of different parts and functions that must be managed correctly. Strength and conditioning is one small part of the process but each individual may need modifications to the training in order to get the best results. An interesting example that is easy to verify would be what Sanford did for NDSU in regards to testing each player for salt loss during workouts. They then prescribed specific amounts of salt intake for individual players to prevent them from losing to much water and cramping up. This was a big reason NDSU finished so strongly at K State and greatly contributed to the win.

In addition, the title and power of a head coach title can be very enticing. Also if he would like to be a head coach in FBS or NFL football one day he will need to gain head coaching experience someplace.

Gus Bradley was never a head coach I don't think...

Gus Bradley was never a head coach I don't think...

Maybe not, but that would be the exception not the rule and how is it working out for him so far. I know, not really fair considering he walked into a very bad situation.

First Head Coaching Position

Mike Smith - Atlanta Falcons

John Harbaugh - Baltimore Ravens

Ron Rivera - Carolina Panthers

Marvin Lewis - Cincinnati Bengals

Rob Chudzinski - Cleveland Browns

Jason Garrett - Dallas Cowboys

John Fox - Carolina Panthers, currently coach of the Denver Broncos

Jim Schwartz - Detroit Lions

Mike McCarthy - Green Bay Packers

Gary Kubiak - Houston Texans

Chuck Pagano - Indianapolis Colts

Gus Bradley - Jacksonville Jaguars

Andy Reid - Philadelphia Eagles, currently coach of the Kansas City Chiefs

Joe Philbin - Miami Dolphins

Bill Belichick - Cleveland Browns, currently coach of the New England Patriots

Sean Payton - New Orleans Saints

Rex Ryan - New York Jets

Dennis Allen - Oakland Raiders

Mike Tomlin - Pittsburgh Steelers

Mike McCoy - San Diego Chargers

Pete Carroll - New York Jets, currently Seattle Seahawks after several stops

Jeff Fisher - Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans, currently St. Louis Rams

Mike Munchak - Tennessee Titans

Mike Shanahan - Los Angeles Raiders, currently Washington Redskins after a few stops

24 out of 32 current head coaches in the NFL had no head coaching experience at any other level. 18 out of the 32 are currently in their first head coaching position. The normal path for an NFL head coach is to start as an assistant coach in college, move on to an assistant position in the NFL, be a coordinator in the NFL and then become a head coach. If Tim Tibesar has aspirations of becoming an NFL head coach he will stay in the NFL. This is his first year in the league.

• Upvote 1

Maybe not, but that would be the exception not the rule and how is it working out for him so far. I know, not really fair considering he walked into a very bad situation.

He did get his first "Mussman" against the Broncos.

First Head Coaching Position

Mike Smith - Atlanta Falcons

John Harbaugh - Baltimore Ravens

Ron Rivera - Carolina Panthers

Marvin Lewis - Cincinnati Bengals

Rob Chudzinski - Cleveland Browns

Jason Garrett - Dallas Cowboys

John Fox - Carolina Panthers, currently coach of the Denver Broncos

Jim Schwartz - Detroit Lions

Mike McCarthy - Green Bay Packers

Gary Kubiak - Houston Texans

Chuck Pagano - Indianapolis Colts

Gus Bradley - Jacksonville Jaguars

Andy Reid - Philadelphia Eagles, currently coach of the Kansas City Chiefs

Joe Philbin - Miami Dolphins

Bill Belichick - Cleveland Browns, currently coach of the New England Patriots

Sean Payton - New Orleans Saints

Rex Ryan - New York Jets

Dennis Allen - Oakland Raiders

Mike Tomlin - Pittsburgh Steelers

Mike McCoy - San Diego Chargers

Pete Carroll - New York Jets, currently Seattle Seahawks after several stops

Jeff Fisher - Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans, currently St. Louis Rams

Mike Munchak - Tennessee Titans

Mike Shanahan - Los Angeles Raiders, currently Washington Redskins after a few stops

24 out of 32 current head coaches in the NFL had no head coaching experience at any other level. 18 out of the 32 are currently in their first head coaching position. The normal path for an NFL head coach is to start as an assistant coach in college, move on to an assistant position in the NFL, be a coordinator in the NFL and then become a head coach. If Tim Tibesar has aspirations of becoming an NFL head coach he will stay in the NFL. This is his first year in the league.

end of tibbesar in the hunt thank you 82 Sioux guy

Didn't take long for spurrier or Saban to leave the NFL. Pete Caroll didn't have success with the Jets either. Just because you are in the NFL doesn't mean you can't leave

But they held HC positions; that's not the case with Tibesar, who may be trying to reach that position. It just recently happened with NDSU's Gus Bradley, so it could easily happen to Tibesar if he gets a DC job in the next couple years.

I think UND's best bet is to get an FCS coordinator or FBS position coach that has had long term success. Kalen DeBoer is a great example because he has a great head coaching record, is familiar with the area, and probably most importantly, is affordable. Same could be said for Bubba Schweigert.