SiouxSports.com Forum

It's not a Logo

GeauxSioux

I don't think anybody wants to punish Native Americans that support the nickname. I just wish there was a way to show the PC crowd that actions have consequences... and Standing Rock took actions years ago that led us to go down the road of having Sioux as a nickname by giving permission and having a tribal ceremony. Now, having to change a nickname and the symbol which the University has become synonymous with, will create marketing problems as well as numerous others with alumni and friends who are upset by the whole thing because of the pride factor that will be lost. If I take a job and the commensurate salary with the responsibilities of that job, then decide to take on a less stressful job with less responsibilities, I wouldn't expect to keep the same salary. There are so many Native American programs at UND because the name is Fighting Sioux, plain and simple. Frankly, I think the University of North Dakota is hostile and abusive to Norwegians! Where are the Norwegian programs? :lol:

That is the point I was trying to make. Show that actions have consequences and those consequences could be losing native american programs and grants at the university. No more free education could get some people changing their ways.

Wow, I hadn't heard this, but as the name is all but gone this would be a great "consolation prize". Nothing should have to change with the REA - ever.

I honestly don't know how the NCAA can make a party that was never part of the settlement agreement change their building? I get that the NCAA is an organization and they can decide where games are played... Also, I am not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

That is the point I was trying to make. Show that actions have consequences and those consequences could be losing native american programs and grants at the university. No more free education could get some people changing their ways.

The Fighting Sioux nickname and the native American programs on campus are not related and to suggest that losing the Fighting Sioux nickname will result in the Native American programs losing funding isn't going to happen. Some of the program's funding come from the Federal Government.

Wow, I hadn't heard this, but as the name is all but gone this would be a great "consolation prize". Nothing should have to change with the REA - ever.

I never saw that either. IMO the REA should be untouched since it is not owned by UND and its just a building like any other in GF and should be offlimits to any changes by the NCAA. It would be like the NCAA telling Chicago to get rid of the Blackhawk logo in their arena or the Wild in St. Paul. If its not a campus building (like the old REA, Memorial Stadium, and the Hyslop) then the NCAA should just butt out.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/15259301/its-over?clienttype=printable

As for his nickname bill, it's too early to tell what legislators will do during a special session set for November. In the meantime, Carlson says they will be tackling the hurdles ahead; one being dealing with more than two thousand logos at the Ralph Engelstad Arena. And more importantly -- the loss of a 80-year legacy.

Carlson says the NCAA is flexible about how long it'll take to remove all those logos. They plan to make a trip to Grand Forks to assess the situation more. The governor plans to introduce legislation to delegate the issue back to the state board.

I am sure the NCAA will be met with open arms at the REA. :angry:

Yes, I hear you and understand. I was replying to JodCon's question about logos having to be removed right away.

http://www.ndus.edu/uploads%5Cresources%5C1056%5C10-26-07-MINUTES-FOR-THE-WEB.PDF

By December 31, 2012 all carpet, artificial turf, tile, laminate or wood flooring are to be replaced. Aisle seating standards at the REA to be removed by Dec 31, 2012

By December 31, 2011 Brass etched logos located within the REA are to be removed along with lighted exterior logos at the REA.

All offical imagery located within administrative and other areas of the REA and UND campus not ordinary open to the public during athletic competition are to be replaced by Dec. 31, 2013.

Etched glass doors leading to the club areas of the REA replaced by Dec 31, 2012

Etched glass doors leading to the administrative areas of the REA replaced by Dec. 31, 2015.

I was watching Jim Cramer on "Mad Money" yesterday. They did a good job of protraying the economic boom that is taking place in ND and the jobs that are available. Jim also referred to North Dakota as the "Rough Rider" state. I do like this name, however, having a High School in the same town with the same nickname is the only thing that is holding it back from being the top choice...IMO...

Its the only reason I don't like it. Unless Red River changes their name to Fighting Sioux. :lol:

http://www.ndus.edu/uploads%5Cresources%5C1056%5C10-26-07-MINUTES-FOR-THE-WEB.PDF

By December 31, 2012 all carpet, artificial turf, tile, laminate or wood flooring are to be replaced. Aisle seating standards at the REA to be removed by Dec 31, 2012

By December 31, 2011 Brass etched logos located within the REA are to be removed along with lighted exterior logos at the REA.

All offical imagery located within administrative and other areas of the REA and UND campus not ordinary open to the public during athletic competition are to be replaced by Dec. 31, 2013.

Etched glass doors leading to the club areas of the REA replaced by Dec 31, 2012

Etched glass doors leading to the administrative areas of the REA replaced by Dec. 31, 2015.

Does this make anyone else's stomach turn - I hope The Ralph takes a stand on this B as in B, S as in S.

Does this make anyone else's stomach turn - I hope The Ralph takes a stand on this B as in B, S as in S.

I guess the NCAA is going to GF to discuss this. I hope they (NCAA) realize its not their (UND's) building and it shouldn't be touched. But of course the NCAA are reasonable people. :glare:

I just read the settlement again for the first time in quite some time, and it appears that all the proposed changes to the Ralph are indeed only necessary in order to make it eligible to host an NCAA tournament. Thus, the question becomes whether it's worth it financially to make costly changes to host women's hockey playoffs, when the settlement also specifically allows such games to be hosted elsewhere, i.e. Purpur (or even at the Little Ralph in TRF?).

With regard to an eventual transfer of ownership from REA to UND, I have to wonder whether it's even wise for that transfer to ever happen. For one thing, it would make mandatory all the changes to the building which are purely discretionary under REA ownership. Also, wouldn't it create issues with regard to the legality of serving alcohol in the facility?

I was watching Jim Cramer on "Mad Money" yesterday. They did a good job of protraying the economic boom that is taking place in ND and the jobs that are available. Jim also referred to North Dakota as the "Rough Rider" state. I do like this name, however, having a High School in the same town with the same nickname is the only thing that is holding it back from being the top choice...IMO...

I don't see that as a showstopper IMHO. Outside of North Dakota, the only people who have heard of Red River High School are alumni of the high school, former North Dakotans and a handful of Minnesota hockey teams who've played them. It would be a bigger problem for me if a well known school, institution, organization has the same nickname that is eventually chosen -- something more on a national level. But all that said, I don't think that the powers that be will allow the new nickname to be a human depiction of any kind, American Indian or otherwise. I hope I am wrong because I do like "Rough Riders."