SiouxSports.com Forum

Carlson will not sponsor reversal of nickname decision

WYOBISONMAN

From the Forum:

House Majority Leader Al Carlson said he wont be the one to make the first move to reverse a state law mandating the University of North Dakota keep its Fighting Sioux nickname.

When asked this week if he would introduce legislation to undo the law, Carlson said he wouldnt.

Im principled enough to know that Im not going to do that, said Carlson, who sponsored the controversial law that took effect this month.

Forum article linky....

Good god, Al needs to man up and clean up his mess........

At first I didn't read the title right, as I thought he wouldn't vote for a reversal. Then I breathed easier when I saw that it was just sponsoring the reversal. I think that he would show more if he swallowed his pride and sponsored the appeal, but as long as he doesn't try to block it I guess I'm ok.

• Upvote 1

Of course, Clueless Al won't sponsor a reversal of his legislation. It was nothing more than a blatant attempt to undermine the constitutional authority of the Board. Clueless Al can shake his tiny fist at the NC$$ and laughably wax poetic about his "principles", but this stunt was really nothing more than a power grab that put UND into one helluva corner. :glare:

I don't think Carlson is clever enough to have thought of a scheme to undermine the SBoHE by leveraging the nickname, in the first place.He was just trying to get some free publicity, which is what he's still trying to do.

Article says that they want to retire the nickname by the end of the year, which seems to contradict the official statement from Kelley that he has been instructed to resume planning to retire the nickname and finish by the end of the year.

From the posts I've read on here, the law is toothless anyway. Sounds like UND would do well to just go on ahead and retire the nickname even if the fake law isn't repealed.

What the hell does this even mean? I screwed up and I won't take responsibility should be what is says. What a dufus.

I do have a bit of a problem with this. It wasn't to long ago that many of us were extremely happy for him because of this exact bill. The only reason he is a "dufus" now is because the Big Sky came out and stated it could affect our conference eligibility. I agree that it needs to be reversed, but I applaud him for what he tried to do. Obviously he can't sponsor a new bill against one he just helped pass 3 months ago, that would be extreme hypocracy to say the least. He is paid to represent his community and that was exactly what he did.

• Upvote 3

I do have a bit of a problem with this. It wasn't to long ago that many of us were extremely happy for him because of this exact bill. The only reason he is a "dufus" now is because the Big Sky came out and stated it could affect our conference eligibility. I agree that it needs to be reversed, but I applaud him for what he tried to do. Obviously he can't sponsor a new bill against one he just helped pass 3 months ago, that would be extreme hypocracy to say the least. He is paid to represent his community and that was exactly what he did.

I don't believe he did this for UND to begin with. He did it as a power grab from the SBoHE. He was told by the GF representatives not to do it and most of them voted against it. I didn't herald him as a hero then and think less of him now that he is running away from a problem he created.

• Upvote 1

I don't believe he did this for UND to begin with. He did it as a power grab from the SBoHE. He was told by the GF representatives not to do it and most of them voted against it. I didn't herald him as a hero then and think less of him now that he is running away from a problem he created.

I apologize if it came off that I was picking on you, as I wasn't. My point is that there were many many people on this board who were applauding him when this was done and it is quite hypacritical to now throw him under the bus for the same policy they supported him on 3 months ago.

As for the bolded part, I understand that, but he is paid to represent his community's interests. I am curious how they voted in his area as I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he had many many citizens of the community email him or contact him on this.

I apologize if it came off that I was picking on you, as I wasn't. My point is that there were many many people on this board who were applauding him when this was done and it is quite hypacritical to now throw him under the bus for the same policy they supported him on 3 months ago.

As for the bolded part, I understand that, but he is paid to represent his community's interests. I am curious how they voted in his area as I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he had many many citizens of the community email him or contact him on this.

No worries. I didn't take it personally. Just pointing out that Al is in it for Al.

I'm not going to lie. I cheered when I heard what had happened with the vote of the ND legislature. Knee jerk reaction...absolutely. I was P'O'd!

After I calmed down and found out the ramifications, I changed my mind. Now, I know we are forced to change the name. It sucks, but that's reality.

:sad:

Actually, if you look back at all the comments, there were many (probably a majority) that were critical of Al and this move, saying it was too late and asking where he and the Legislature were a few years ago when it might have done some good. Many on this board rightly stated the move was either naive or a cynical political ploy. I don't recall "a lot" of people on this board lauding Al....just a few.

For those in Fargo, how will this impact Al's political future? Any chance he'll be challenged by another "R" in the primary, or that he could lose his seat?