SiouxSports.com Forum

coaches

siouxfbfan

anyone have links to how much ndac and und's coaches make??? should be easy to find

Didnt he get a raise to 114k or in that area?

A search of the football forum going back to July of 2012 yields the following:

USD:

Joe Glenn, football, $127,260

Dave Boots, men’s basketball/Asst AD, $122,780

Ryun Williams women’s basketball $96,000

- Amy Williams in the coach now not sure of salary information

SDSU:

John Stiegelmeier, football, $150,010

Scott Nagy, men’s basketball, $152,000

Aaron Johnston, women’s basketball, $161,358

UND:

Mussman, football $114,612

Jones mens basketball $86,334

Gene Roebuck women’s basketball $110,000

- Travis Brewster in the coach now not sure of salary information.

NDSU

Bohl football $196,668

Saul Phillips basketball $135,000

Carolyn DeHoff women’s basketball $113,400

mussman is only making ~90 iirc. Thats not much more than a run of the mill assistant at a school that actually funds it's coaching staff at a reasonable level.

I really love that i'm always the bad guy, even when i'm criticizing the lack of support given to the football (and BB) teams. I guess i should just except mediocrity like you do, because thats the sign of a real fan.

I just figured for being such a "huge UND fan" you would know how much the head coach gets paid. It was just in the paper less than a year ago. Has nothng to do with whether a fan agrees with the program right now or not.

With no FBS game, and probably the most favorable schedule ever, if UND doesn't make the playoffs, it is time to try a new head coach?

The problem is next year is the equivalent of ndsu's 3-8 year. They have done quite well in the three years after.

With a freshman qb I think the next three years are how we should measure his ability to build/coach this program.

I'm glad a loyal guy like Manassau stays in the Sioux family. However this feels like he was eased out and give another position because of his dedication. It's no secret that our defense was in shambles last season. I'm usually in favor of hiring qualified people from within. However, given the state of Sioux football, if we miss this opportunity to bring in someone outside our system, we're nuts.

• Upvote 1

The schedule is favorable in the sense that there are 7 home games, and what should be the toughest games are all at home. However, the fact still remains there are 3 playoff teams, plus Northern Arizona who narrowly missed the playoffs, plus Montana who probably won't be down for long. And we are returning a 5-6 team that featured the worst defense in program history and will be starting a freshman QB.

I'm not real confident about getting 7 wins.

• Upvote 1

The problem is next year is the equivalent of ndsu's 3-8 year. They have done quite well in the three years after.

With a freshman qb I think the next three years are how we should measure his ability to build/coach this program.

Then when do we get the equivelant of NDSU's 10-1 years?

Two years from now. Not next season or the one after but the one after that.

I know you are a Muss apologist, but come on - to pick out the one bad NDSU season and use that as a comparison is bogus - If you want to use NDSU as a yardstick for our program, lots of luck.

I just figured for being such a "huge UND fan" you would know how much the head coach gets paid. It was just in the paper less than a year ago. Has nothng to do with whether a fan agrees with the program right now or not.

my knowledge was certainly outdated, however it remains that UND does not pay or hire like the program that we expect it to be. Can you honestly see the AD paying a new d-coordinator 100k+ to pull him out of NDSU, as in the stanard example (who i think would be a solid hire).

With no FBS game, and probably the most favorable schedule ever, if UND doesn't make the playoffs, it is time to try a new head coach?

don't let the lack of an fbs game fool you, next year's schedule is brutal. 2013 could be a much better team with little improvement record wise. I'm about as far from pro-mussman as it gets, but i think if UND winds up 6-5, mussman will have earned another year.

my knowledge was certainly outdated, however it remains that UND does not pay or hire like the program that we expect it to be. Can you honestly see the AD paying a new d-coordinator 100k+ to pull him out of NDSU, as in the stanard example (who i think would be a solid hire).

I'm not the one who brought up his name. I was just stating its highly unlikely that UND pays their head coach less than a position coach at FU like you were implying. It doesn't matter which year you were getting your information from to see that.

I already stated earlier Kotelnicki is probably the leading candidate but opening it up outside is the wise thing to do. If we can find a candidate better than Kotels, he's going to be a good coach but I really think he has the football knowledge to excel at this position and would be a good replacement now that our talent on D is starting to improve.

I know you are a Muss apologist, but come on - to pick out the one bad NDSU season and use that as a comparison is bogus - If you want to use NDSU as a yardstick for our program, lots of luck.

The reason I bring it up is because its more than valid. They kicked ass for a while in their transition then when they got to a legit conference they couldn't handle it depth wise until year three at which they made the playoffs and the rest is history. Next year is our equivalent to their 3-8 season and we should compare ourselves to them that year if we are going to be realistic. Remember after that season they were calling for his head in Fargo, had they fired him too hastily do you think they'd be where they are now?

Am I a mussman apologist or just someone that chooses to look at the big picture. He is finally free of the nickname and all the negativity that brought the program which was a massive disadvantage. 5-6 doesn't cut it, but I'm not about to call for his head until I see the next two years now that he has minimal negative externalities affecting his ability to build a successful program.

Respectfully, I can see how it would seem that way but that is incorrect.

Sounds like you know more than I do - I was just speculating, given the state of UND's defense - I've always liked Manassau and wish him well. We need to seriously upgrade our defense for next year from all aspects talent, schemes, and execution. It will be interesting to see who gets the job.

• Upvote 1

Do I have my math wrong? Wasn't Fargo's 3-8 year their first year in the MVFC and first year of eligibility? Sans our first year in the Big Sky and first of eligibility?

The reason I bring it up is because its more than valid. They kicked ass for a while in their transition then when they got to a legit conference they couldn't handle it depth wise until year three at which they made the playoffs and the rest is history. Next year is our equivalent to their 3-8 season and we should compare ourselves to them that year if we are going to be realistic. Remember after that season they were calling for his head in Fargo, had they fired him too hastily do you think they'd be where they are now?

Am I a mussman apologist or just someone that chooses to look at the big picture. He is finally free of the nickname and all the negativity that brought the program which was a massive disadvantage. 5-6 doesn't cut it, but I'm not about to call for his head until I see the next two years now that he has minimal negative externalities affecting his ability to build a successful program.

Your big picture gives him about a decade to produce - I think that is too long. I'm not buying the nickname excuse for our lackluster transition. I have not seen anything out of him so far that indicates he will challenge for a championship in the next 3-4 years which is what took place in the program you are comparing us to.

don't let the lack of an fbs game fool you, next year's schedule is brutal. 2013 could be a much better team with little improvement record wise. I'm about as far from pro-mussman as it gets, but i think if UND winds up 6-5, mussman will have earned another year.

Agreed, despite all the home games it won't be easy...Valpo, Idaho St, Sac, St., and UNC should be wins...Portland St., Northern Arizona, and UC Davis will be no bargains in their house, winning 2 of those games would be questionable...SDSU, Montana State, and EWU are going to be very tough even at home, realistically could go 1-2 or 0-3 against them...and that leaves Montana who nobody knows what they will look like but should be no worse than last year so a 50-50 chance there, add it all up and it looks like 6-5 or possibly 7-4 if the defense really improves.

I expect the team to be a lot better, but the record to only be marginally better because of how the schedule falls, but would like to be proven wrong.

Thu, Aug 29 Valparaiso Grand Forks, N.D. TBA

Sat, Sep 07 South Dakota State Grand Forks, N.D. TBA

Sat, Sep 14 Montana Grand Forks, N.D. TBA

Sat, Sep 21 Open at TBA TBA

Sat, Sep 28 Montana State * Grand Forks, N.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 05 Idaho State * at Pocatello, Idaho TBA

Sat, Oct 12 Eastern Washington * Grand Forks, N.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 19 Sacramento State * Grand Forks, N.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 26 Portland State * at Portland, Ore. TBA

Sat, Nov 02 Northern Arizona * at Flagstaff, Ariz. TBA

Sat, Nov 09 Northern Colorado * Grand Forks, N.D. TBA

Sat, Nov 16 UC Davis * at Davis, Calif. TBA

Sat, Nov 23 Open TBA TBA

* Conference Games

Did they get into the MVFC before they were eligible?

I'm not sure. I know they got into the Summit a year early and were not eligible for championships, but not sure about the MVFC. I seem to remember them entering that league with a thud though.

Golly, where in the world is Bison Dan when we REALLY need him?

Your big picture gives him about a decade to produce - I think that is too long. I'm not buying the nickname excuse for our lackluster transition. I have not seen anything out of him so far that indicates he will challenge for a championship in the next 3-4 years which is what took place in the program you are comparing us to.

You have no idea how crippling that whole debacle was to football in particular. Scheduling recruiting finding a legit conference home fund raising literally every aspect of the football program took a hit at a very vulnerable time. That is why last season should be considered as about the first by which he should be measured.

• Upvote 3

You have no idea how crippling that whole debacle was to football in particular. Scheduling recruiting finding a legit conference home fund raising literally every aspect of the football program took a hit at a very vulnerable time. That is why last season should be considered as about the first by which he should be measured.

I understand what you are saying, but not buying it to the extent you are. Regardless, I think Muss needs to show us something and right soon. Not saying championship, but something we can get behind. So far, nothing.

I'm not sure. I know they got into the Summit a year early and were not eligible for championships, but not sure about the MVFC. I seem to remember them entering that league with a thud though.

Golly, where in the world is Bison Dan when we REALLY need him?

They went 6-5 first year in the MVFC in 2008 and 3-8 in 2009 with wins against Wagner College a terrible Ind St and Western Ill. By my count 2008 was their first year of eligibility since 2004 was their first of the transition.